Help me with my grow box

bbqribz570

ok, this will be my third grow, my first box grow, others were out door, and one was in a friends basement, we never got into it like me and my friend are now.the last times were just poke and hope type deal, tho we did buy seeds online for the out door.

all that aside, were making a box that measures 2ft W 2ft L and 3ft H.
were super crunched for cash, so this is going to be probly the cheapest grow ever. were planning to not spend over $100, and aim for less. :cheer:

so, our idea is, we have some bag seeds from some ballin ass nugs we got a while back that were going to try and grow to get practice up before we buy seeds. (we have over 30 seeds from buying over 4oz of the bud)

were going with the power strip + socket plug + cfls cause of cost effectiveness and we already have everything but the bulbs. we might go with the Y branches for even more light, but not sure if its necessary.

THE BOX
i have a rough paint picture of the box here
box.PNG

sorry for it being low quality, but real pics are coming soon.
for starters, while the plants are sprouting and when their small, were going to set them on a shelf in the box and adjust the hight as needed, until we put them on the bottom. the power strips are going to be movable as well.
if needed, when the plant(s) get big, were going to cut a hole int he bottom and set the pot on the ground, then jack the box up with 2x4's. at the top of the box, is an 80mm computer fan to take out hot air and can add a few more if needed. at the top were going to put some mylar, the walls and bottom will just be painted flat white. we have a little 4in fan that will sit at the bottom for a breeze.

heres a few questions i have:
1.) i want to go with an organic soil, enough to fill a 5 gal bucket, that is a cheep, all in one mix, i wana buy one bag of soil to cover the whole grow. and is readily availible at say wal-mart or home dept.
what should i use?

2.) nutrients, cheap is the name of the game here. i dont need gallons, but i need somthing that is going to pump up my plant, CHEAP
what should i use?

3.) should i be worried about fire? with all the power strips, socket plugs, and y branches, fans and what not, should i be scared?

4.) my box isnt that big, how can i control the hight of my plant without hurting it?

5.) this might be a dumb question, but none the less ill ask.
i remember in 1st grade science class we were growing flowers, and we added blue food coloring to the water, then as the plant used the water, it turned blue.
if i took a fruit, say strawberries or blueberries, mashed them up and mixed them in with my soil, could the plant take on traits of the fruit? or am i just gana have sticky dirt?...just a theroy, if it wont hurt the plant, i might try for shits and giggles.

answers, questions, comments, concerns, helpful tips. drop me a line:roorrip:

A few thoughts as Im starting an indoor grow after a few outdoor grows. Have you considered a grow tent instead of a box? Easy to modify as needed, see the link below, this is the one that I decided to get...

GrowLab Portable Grow Rooms - GL60

GrowLab GL60 Portable Grow Room: 2' x 2' x 5'3"
Regular Price: $134.95
Special Price: $113.95

Have you considered a Deep Water Culture type system instead of dirt in pot? Im making my own modeled after ROSEMANs(See his threads on this site, tons of excellent info), its a copy of a commercial unit. Good luck on your grow. Ill be interested in the replies you receive.

well, the problem i have with the tents is money and space, the box is free to me because i already have the wood, and its made it fit in a closet in the basement, and yes i know, i wish i could use the closet itself but i think the the box will be a little easier to maintain
and once everything is together and in place, you can bank on me starting a journal ;)

Back
Top Bottom