Growing with CFLs in very limited space

Thanks.
Make no mistake...CFLs run hot. Hotter then regular florescent bulbs so you are going to need much more than a couple of PC box fans to keep things cool in there. And putting a small fan inside is a must as well. Having air movement over the plants benefits them in a number of ways such as it helps keep bugs out, strengthens the stems and to help keep things cool. Don't let me scare you off but if you are using a lot of CFLs then you will need to seriously consider an exhaust fan of some sort to help keep things under control temp wise.

Man your system and grow looks really good. Thanks for this DIY. I looked at the same cabinet 2days ago and would like to go that route for my 1st real grow. I have one question. Can you think of a different way to ventilate? I would need to be a lil more stealthy considering my apt. I was thinking I could cut holes for exhaust and maybe fit some small fans like pc fans or something in there to pull exhaust out of the chamber. Maybe even place a small fan inside the chamber to provide more air inside. I still have the odor concern but I am working on that. I would appreciate any suggestions. And again great pics.

VERY nice set up potsmurf. Those look very healthy. They should easily give you many fat buds. Since we are always concerned about keeping the height of our plants under control we usually veg them until the root system has developed enough to be sure they are healthy and strong. Usually that takes about 2 weeks (where yours are now). But vegging 3 to 4 weeks is more then normal. And if you veg them longer they will (should) produce more quantity. So if you have the time and the space let them go a couple weeks longer in veg before switching to flowering.

Very nice set up! Keep up the good work. :blunt:

Do you think my setup will produce plants like that??? I'm not trying to be funny either. I am using a 400 watt HPS light and I have everything else setup perfect in my opinion. How long do I let them veg to get buds like that?? They are at 14-15 days vegging in this video. Let me know something my friend. Thanx, POTSMURF.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5r13gmSs_A[video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5r13gmSs_A[video]

Sorry to keep bothering you skooterclowns. I was just curious to how much do you think I would get in ounces off one of these plants if I veg them for a month?? If you had to take a guess how much would you say one of my plants would produce in ounces after vegging a month(30 days)?? Thanx bro.

Skooter, thanks for the heads up in ref to the pc fans. I have decided on a 32"x32"x63 grow tent. I hope the 4" inline 170cfm fan along with my 4"carbon filter will help me with ventilation and odor control. I am thinking about running the ducting from the filter to another intake hole and place a fan inside to also assist with the temp as you stated. Thanks again. I hope this is enough ventilation for my tent, but I will see.

Hey Clowns! i am mostly a lurker on your great journals. I do have a question about heat emitters. What kind of wattage do you use?

I remember those New England winters as nasty but I don't have as big a problem in SoCal. Just need to keep a 3'x2'x3.5" area at around 70F when temps in garage drop to 40F - 60F. There are no lights in the space. It is between my two grow spaces but the intake air to the grow spaces comes through that space.

Also from your pictures it appears that you want to put the emitters in metal reflectors? :hmmmm:

Hey Clowns! i am mostly a lurker on your great journals. I do have a question about heat emitters. What kind of wattage do you use?

I remember those New England winters as nasty but I don't have as big a problem in SoCal. Just need to keep a 3'x2'x3.5" area at around 70F when temps in garage drop to 40F - 60F. There are no lights in the space. It is between my two grow spaces but the intake air to the grow spaces comes through that space.

Also from your pictures it appears that you want to put the emitters in metal reflectors? :hmmmm:

Thanks Two Tokes. Regarding the emitters I need to let Slappy answer those questions. He was the one that found and implemented them and knows their wattage etc. He can explain how he set them up "inline" as well. Pretty cool really.

I made him aware of your post and he said he will gladly reply as soon as he can.

Thanks Two Tokes. Regarding the emitters I need to let Slappy answer those questions. He was the one that found and implemented them and knows their wattage etc. He can explain how he set them up "inline" as well. Pretty cool really.

I made him aware of your post and he said he will gladly reply as soon as he can.

Thanks! looking forward to hearing what Slappy has to say.

Hey Two Tokes skooter just told me to check out your questions and give you some info....

I got the heat emitters from a pet supply and they had a few different sizes... I opted for a "Zoo med" (brand name, flat and white in color) 150 watt to put in line and runs full blast 24/7 during the coldest months

I also have another 150 watt "zilla" (brand name: black in color and funnel shaped) that I have in a reflector that I keep in the grow cabinet and have hooked up to a "Herpstat " (spyderrobotics is the brand name) that regulates how much power goes to the heat emitter to matain the temp I set it at.

I use the reflector on the one in the box to help distribute the heat and to keep the emitter from touching the plants or anything else that might starting a fire as they do get pretty hot..

the one I use inline I hooked up to a reflector inside out..and used a 4" duct "t" fitting in line between the intake and the box...I then inserted the heat emitter upside down (so the emitter sits in the middle of the 4" duct) into the "t"...and the reflector faces up with the power cord comming out where the bulb would...

I hope that makes sense....I'll snap a pic of that set up tomorrow and post them...
A picture is worth a thousand words...(two thousand if the guy taking is a stoned clown)

Hope that helps and if you have any other questions...us clowns are around...

the one I use inline I hooked up to a reflector inside out..and used a 4" duct "t" fitting in line between the intake and the box...I then inserted the heat emitter upside down (so the emitter sits in the middle of the 4" duct) into the "t"...and the reflector faces up with the power cord comming out where the bulb would...

Say what now? WTF was that? I've SEEN the set up and this still makes no sense to me!

:dreamy:

Thanks Slappy. That gives me some sense but I do have a bit of Skooter's WTF on the second one. Looking forward to the 4000 word picture. (You can't leave out the reader error factor)

sorry, got stoned and forgot to take pictures...

here's a couple now, hope this helps ...
DSC028021.JPG

DSC028031.JPG

hey i was wonderin if u guys could take a look at my grow and let me know what u guys think...I built my cab myself...3 of my plants are a month in veg and only 1 looks like its ready to start flower.... i dont know u guys take a look and let me know what u think... i'de HIGHly appreciate it....thanks

Hi SkooterClown you and your brother have done some amazing work seriously! it is infact why i registered. I've read through most of the comments and this entire thread, I have some questions related to the 2.5 gallon tub and the exhaust fan.

ive found a black plastic tub that i think will be suitable but im unsure about its measurments and if the tub is big enough. the internal dimensions are: L380xW310xD200mm

also with regards to the exhaust fan, am i right in thinking this is how you have it set up. carbon filter on the end, then the fan, then the ducting connected to the hole in the back at the top. and is the fan sucking air out ? or is the fan set up so it blows in cool air to the lights? it was a little un-clear or maybe everyone else knows and im the noob which i actually am here.

OH and i almost forgot ive been looking the those bulbs you guys have 5 of, i couldnt find the exact type but do you think these will be suitable ?
Amazon: Square Perfect Professional Quality 85 Watt Compact Fluorescent Full Spectrum Photo Bulb

1667184310966.png

and also with the bulbs are they just connected to a normal light socket the screw in ones i mean or the the CFL's have special sockets?

would really appreciate any help as im completly in the dark about this stuff. Thanks

EDIT: just seen he hasnt been active since 2010, can anyone help ?

Hey SkooterFan.

Thanks for the kind words. Me and my brother are still around. I check the boards a few times a month and we are still growing. We've settled into a nice routine and regularly harvest a fair quantity. We found that we LOVE Papaya and have been growing that exclusively for a while now.

We seldom use those tubs anymore and they are currently at Slappy's house so I can't measure them at the moment. I did some more conversions and came up with the fact that a gallon of liquid takes up a volume of 268.8025 cubic inches. Multiply that by 2.5 and you will get 672 cubic inches. Your box (if my math is correct) comes out to 1,437.71941 cubic inches. So your box is bigger and should hold ~5 gallons.

As for the exhaust fan you are correct in the order of the parts. We are always drawing the air out of the light box. You'll find that is the case in all indoor grow set ups.

Those bulbs on Amazon are equivalent tot he ones we use if I recall their output correctly and yes they are standard screw in bulbs.

I hope I answered all your questions. Please let me know if you have any more. Like I said it may take me a while to check back but I eventually will.

This is an awesome setup man. Great job with everything. especially the post. Very detailed. I am going to use some things in your grow if you don't mind.

Hey guys....thanks for all the views.....us clowns are still alive and kicking..as well as growing....

we haven't changed our set ups ...we have been growing alot of different strains some more difficult than others....but all with great success...

Hope you've found our thread helpful and you've gotten alot of big buds in your setup ...

we haven't posted any new grows because, lets face it , we are lazy clowns...thats why this works for us...

We'll try to post some more of our grows soon.,....if we don't get couch locked...hehe

my buddy lived in Alaska for a few years... He would run a long inflow piped-tube from outside his barn into the grow... He had the same type of heating unit in his air-flow.

Anyways... In the winter, he could run SIX 1000W lights in a 6x6x10ft room and he had trouble getting the temp up to 70 degrees. That heat emitter was on whenever the lights were on, because the air coming into the room could be -20 degrees. (condensation??lol)

Then in the summer, he would only run 2 of the 6 lights and the heater was off...

Anyways it brought me back.... a pic is worth 4000+ words... lol.
ltr

Back
Top Bottom