Help needed

Connie147

Hi all ….on my 2nd ever grow and all started well but seem have some problem …strain is unknown ,compost soil mix which has feed to do plants for first 6 to 8 weeks so just feeding ph balanced water ,400w hps light ..room temp hovers about 20/23c,,,rh about 30/50%..watering only when seems needed..seeds were planted about 3weeks ago …1 on top left sprouted first and rest few days later all grew great then leaf colour changed and went dry and rough to the touch ..I did make a rookie mistake and misted plants with lights on so I may have light burnt them or is it to much or to little nuits in soil …attached pics for reference

D50318F9-DC7A-42D8-8AFD-A90E67467B05.jpeg

16941B5A-0584-4424-B8D8-E5B3D301405D.jpeg

D16DAF6F-96B4-4EF7-9364-7108643E19D9.jpeg

403434D1-2BAC-4D4A-B8FA-A0D522E09561.jpeg

Hi all ….on my 2nd ever grow and all started well but seem have some problem …strain is unknown ,compost soil mix which has feed to do plants for first 6 to 8 weeks so just feeding ph balanced water ,400w hps light ..room temp hovers about 20/23c,,,rh about 30/50%..watering only when seems needed..seeds were planted about 3weeks ago …1 on top left sprouted first and rest few days later all grew great then leaf colour changed and went dry and rough to the touch ..I did make a rookie mistake and misted plants with lights on so I may have light burnt them or is it to much or to little nuits in soil …attached pics for reference

D50318F9-DC7A-42D8-8AFD-A90E67467B05.jpeg

16941B5A-0584-4424-B8D8-E5B3D301405D.jpeg

D16DAF6F-96B4-4EF7-9364-7108643E19D9.jpeg

403434D1-2BAC-4D4A-B8FA-A0D522E09561.jpeg
Good morning @Connie147 hope your having a good day my friend.
Sorry about your ladies.
You said ph balanced water, what ph is it?
How do you determine when to water again?
They look droopy and a touch overwatered.
Are you letting the pots get bone dry before watering?
You ladies are going to need nutrients going forward. :Namaste:
Do you have any?
@GeoFlora Nutrients would be good.
Easy to use and everything the ladies need.
Can you get a pic with the flash? no hps.

Stay safe
Bill

The HPS light really throws the color off so none of what we see is the actual color. The group cannot see if the green leaves are a healthy green nor the actual color of the spots on the leaves. Many plant problems are easy to figure out by seeing the true colors. Turn off the grow lights and let the white light from the camera flash or a table lamp do it thing which often helps a lot. Or move the pots somewhere they can get the sunlight coming through a window is another idea.

compost soil mix which has feed to do plants for first 6 to 8 weeks so just feeding ph balanced water
We would have to know more about this "compost soil mix". Often they contain very little real soil and a whole lot of peat moss and/or coco coir. Neither one will supply any nutrients for the plant until they start to decompose which can take years. Coco Coir can take as long as 20 years. The nutrients put into the soil are usually intended for the slow but steady growth of house plants. Since Marijuana is a fast growing and very demanding plant the nutrients in the soil cannot keep up with the demands the plant places.

We will have to know more about the soil. Either the exact name of the company plus the exact name of the soil mix will go a long way. Or, a clear in-focus photo of the front and back of the bag.
I did make a rookie mistake and misted plants with lights on so I may have light burnt them or is it to much or to little nuits in soil
Misting in the light is not the big problem people make it out to be. It is virtually impossible to find any study or testing of this that has actually shown that it happens.

Most likely it is not enough nutrients because by 3 weeks old they have stripped the soil mix of most of what was put in.

Seeing the plants in true colors and knowing more about the soil and some of the group will be able to pin-point the problem.

Only thing I could find out about it is it comes pre packed with bugs.
That's what the reviews said. Fungus Nats galore.
Also it retains water another reason to let it dry longer.
Let dry completely before watering again.
And get some decent pot nutrients for them.
There seems to be coco coir in your mix aswell.
So I would add calmag to the water first aswell.
Do you have access to Geoflora Nutrients? Your in GB right?

Stay safe
Bill

I have nutes I used on last grow and worked fine ,I just didn’t want to use them and over feed as soil has them already ,it is a different soil I used from before,store had none of last stuff so this seemed similar just feeds them longer or so it says ,I do see it holds water more when watering which was sprayed on soil at first when small seedlings every few days then let them dry before watering more ,as getting bigger should I let run off happen as I water or only use enough to wet soil

Sounds like your media is a hydrid, coco and compost, (no real "soil"), which, IMHO, makes it more difficult to determine proper watering and nute schedules. Coco is the first thing listed, so I would surmise that it is the main ingredient. Although it is difficult to see real colors in your pictures, the leaves look like the soil might be a little hot. Three of the plants appear to have very dark leaves, a sign of a little excess nitrogen. The "crinkly" look to the leaves is a clue. The one plant has some issues, the leaves appears burnt, the green leaves that are crispy is another sign of hot soil. I would water until you get some runoff, then wait until dry, maybe drop the PH down to around 5.8-to 6.0. This is basically a coco grow. The soil advertises it has nutes for 6-8 weeks, I would add calmag, but no additional nutes for a few weeks. I could also see some potential root issues, from the coco/compost holding a lot of water. Best of luck!

What would happen if I transplanted into better soil …would it work ..should I cover top of pots to keep light from soil?,,,or just start over ,,,,
Of course it would work. Remove the plant from the current bucket it is in and put into a bucket or larger pot with a layer of good soil mix on the bottom. Once the plant is in the new pot add the good soil around the sides, gently tap the soil down, add a bit more, and be sure that there is soil up to within a 1/2 inch (12mm) of the rim.

should I cover top of pots to keep light from soil?
Why? I can't think of any reason to go through all that extra work.

A photo or two taken in regular light or sunlight would really help.

It’s not that the soil is “bad”, per se, it’s just kinda an unknown.
We know a few things about the stuff.

It is 100% coir, green compost and composted bark. I figure that it means that there are only 3 things in the mix and why it is 100%. It would be really strange if it was 100% coir and then some compost and bark 'cause that makes it over 100%.;)

No mention that I noticed of what "green compost" is. It could be "green" because the compost has not yet reached optimum decomposing so it is still green and not ripe. Or it could be called "green" because the compost consists of green organic material like grass clippings, green leaves, recently pulled weeds or just about anything that is not considered "brown" organic material like leaves that fall off trees in the fall, etc. Maybe the shredded bark is meant to be the "brown" and was added to the "green" as a balance.

No matter what, the soil mix was not intended to be used for plants that demand as much as Marijuana plants do, especially once they start to get some size and get close to flowering.

Yes I do believe SmokingWings nailed it on green / brown compost concept and I think their intentions are that 1/3 parts inert coco mixed with equals parts green & brown compost add up to a well balanced diet.

split double ditto on Bill284 & Phytoplankton….. need that cal-Mag & lower your feed water ph after adding the cal-Mag first

Yes I do believe SmokingWings nailed it on green / brown compost concept and I think their intentions are that 1/3 parts inert coco mixed with equals parts green & brown compost add up to a well balanced diet.

split double ditto on Bill284 & Phytoplankton….. need that cal-Mag & lower your feed water ph after adding the cal-Mag first
Or shake that stuff off and put them in coco and grow bags.
Make life a little easier. :Namaste: Seriously easier for next run, straight coco.
And watch them push your roof off, hehe :rofl:
I agree with 013 on the ph.
I think I recommend 6.3? Thinking it was potting soil, my apologies.
If it's mostly coco it's got to drop.
Now normally I'd say dead on 5.8 with calmag in your water first every time.
But I have a hard time making an exact recommendation in a hybrid.
So that won't help :rofl: sorry.
013 do you have a number in mind?

Stay safe
Bill

I don’t grow in coco so I don’t bring depth of experience as you guys do… plus as we know it’s kinda bastardized mix (no offense to our new friend Connie) but that’s just fine too. This is kinda same as what Nutty was doing minus the Jadam…. Anyway I’ve come to rely on suggesting 5.8ish for coco and 6.3 for soil.

where are my manners? standard disclaimer #7 applies….. I really was raised by wolves

Welcome aboard Connie!!!

hang here & we will get ya tuned up

Thank you all for your replies ..I’ll try the cal mag option and lower to ph to coco levels and give time and see if they ok …if not I’ll try and get same I used before and had no issues with and just start again ,,don’t want to be fighting these babies for next few months and lose due to lack of experience and knowledge,,keep it simple

Judging by the way the plants are reacting I doubt that the mix is only 1/3 coir and two-thirds (2/3) compost of any kind.

If this product is available in the England or the EU then it is the result of the change in laws and regulations that are stopping the use of Peat Moss in gardening and soil mixes.

Good morning @Connie147 hope your having a good day my friend.
Sorry about your ladies.
You said ph balanced water, what ph is it?
How do you determine when to water again?
They look droopy and a touch overwatered.
Are you letting the pots get bone dry before watering?
You ladies are going to need nutrients going forward. :Namaste:
Do you have any?
@GeoFlora Nutrients would be good.
Easy to use and everything the ladies need.
Can you get a pic with the flash? no hps.

Stay safe
Bill
Thank you for the recommendation, Bill :)

Back
Top Bottom