Help! One of my Ladies is burning up!

dc534

I believe it to be nute burn or lockout. What happened was I overfed her double the amount she was supposed to get. When I was reading the chart I read the nute amount for a recirculating system and fed that to her. I am running a non-recirculating DWC system. I think what happened was that although I caught it after just 2 days of my mistake, she already locked up. I have also been combating abnormally high water temps in my grow water, not the tent itself but the water temp, around 80 for water temps.

I noticed after correcting my mistake with the nutes and flushing the system my ppm in my water kept climbing and so did my PH. I was PH'ing down to around 6.0 and after 24hrs the PH would be up near 7.2. The PPM of water also kept creeping way up, very noticeable amounts in increments of 100s, swings would range in the 400-500 ppm 24 hours later, so if I started at say 300 in 24 hours the reader would say 800.

If anyone has any idea of what's going on let me know. As I said I think its a variety of things. Right now I am just flushing her daily and adding a little H202 to the water to stop any microorganisms from growing since I cannot get the water temps down right now. My question is what can I do to get the water temps down? Add a frozen water bottle into my bucket? I realize that is not a longterm solution. If anyone can suggest a water chiller that is not going to break the bank let me know. Thanks in advance.

IMG_055256.JPG
IMG_055341.JPG
IMG_0554_1_.JPG

First. Rdwc and dwc same chart.
I have a great chart for you to refer too. After I post I will dig deeper and try to help.
I hate h2o2. Z7 or similar is much better in my opinion. Any ways here's the chart. Is your water level static,rising or falling? I am guessing static? Two days ago I was the last line falling falling falling. I raised ec and now my ph is stable again.
420-magazine-mobile2123504249.jpg

[Disclaimer]
"I don't know everything. My opinion is just that. It's up to you to research the information offered by me or anyone else. It's not wise to act on the first opinion you get. "

My First DWC Grow - Unknown Strain

Thanks.

The way I understand it is I am getting a deficiency or nutrient burn and I need to get my ppm down. That chart is helpful thank you. I think I need to do the opposite of what it wants me to do however. If I think of it like a buffer between the roots and the water, the roots are leaching out excess nutrients in the water to find a balance, if I add more nutes it will just balance at a higher PPM and force the roots to take up more nutrients, which I do not think the plant can use right now. From what I understand is if the ppm in the water is rising and the ph is rising it is because the roots have more nutrients than the water and thus are trying to balance with the water. So if 1000ppm is already too high and my plant is burning/deficient I need to the balance down below 1000ppm. That means if I start at say 700 ppm and in 2 days the water is reading 1400ppm I have to let it continue to leach into the water until I get it below 1000ppm and see if the nutrient burn continues. This should theoretically end the lockout/burning/deficiency and allow the plant to start using nutes again.

I can understand why you would want to add more nutrients if your EC is rising and PH is rising, this would force the plants roots to absorb more nutrients. The problem though is I believe my plant already has too many nutrients and needs to leach nutrients back into the water to end the lockout that may be happening.

Thank you for a quick response.

Do you have any ideas on how to get the water temp's down? I also feel this may be adversely impacting the plant as well.

I have my lights on at night to battle heat. Once in awhile if it gets high. Like 79 I add a frozen water bottle. I use z7 so I don't really need to worry about water temp other than there's more oxygen in cooler water. Good luck.

[Disclaimer]
"I don't know everything. My opinion is just that. It's up to you to research the information offered by me or anyone else. It's not wise to act on the first opinion you get. "

Btw. I do not think you have nute burn. Nute burn starts at the tips. Then the edges.

[Disclaimer]

Thanks. I hesitate to think it is nute burn either, from looking at others pictures of nutrient burn mine does not look exactly like that. It can be many things, it is my first grow.

My list of theories of what may have happened:

I have done some more research and it looks like it may be sunburn. And I know why and how it could have happened. I have these plants on a 24hr light cycle right now. I sprayed this particular plant with a mixture of 1/4 strength nute/water mixture and gave it a little shake so there was no big beads of water. Perhaps however the droplets were small and the lights were too close leading to a sort of magnification effect. This would explain why the inside of the leaves appear to be affected more than the outside of the leaves. It is likely where more of the water pooled together. That is my working theory at least.

I think I am going to try the water bottle thing to get temps down. I am also going to monitor any worsening. I have not noticed any worsening over the last day or so, which is why I now think it could have been sunburn.

My other theory is that is a severe magnesium deficiency due to nutrient lockout. I know I added quite a bit of Cal/Mag but the only way I can think it was not being absorbed was due to nutrient lockout. As a matter of fact it looks closer to magnesium deficiency than it does to Sunburn/light burn.

I am going to have to look closer at my plants veins and the leaves affected. Right now those are my two working theories.

I am going to move my light up a couple of inches, continue to work on getting the roots to give up some of their nutes by lowering the nutes in the water I give it. I am going to also try and get the water temps under control by use of frozen water bottles and with use of more reflective material to prevent my buckets from absorbing all that heat.

What nutrients do you use?

[Disclaimer]

General hydroponics flora series has an app. I typed in 4 gallons. This is what it looks like.
420-magazine-mobile1663356057.jpg

Again it could be nute lockup because during week 3 I gave my plants double the recommended. I used the recirculating systems feeding chart which is about double the nute amount than week 3 of the drain to waste system. Instead of 700 ppm I was up in the 1400 range for a few days. That's when I started noticing my mistake and fixed it. The day after I fixed the problem, that is when the deficiency/burning showed up. That was 4 days ago now. The symptoms seemed to have slowed/stopped but that is because I have been flushing that plant with new water each day.

Back
Top Bottom