Help please!

Ganja Cowboy

Hey All!
Need some help please...

Just confirmed a male in my grow room!! After all this tender care :morenutes:, what a wicked betrayal! Cutting him down was heartbreaking.

What is strange is that I grew this plant from a feminized seed... What went wrong?

At first the plant was bushy and dense and it got to about 30 inches. I decided to let it get taller before flowering, it shot up in a couple of weeks after that and got to about 45 inches!! I brought it into flowering stage and it kept going to about 55 inches!! I should have seen the signs! This morning upon investigating my garden there was no more denying that this was a male plant. It was in a separate flowering compartment from my other plants who are all still in vegetative stages.

anywaY! Here is my questions:

1) This plant is about 10-12 weeks old from seed ... I dont think i caught it very early in development ( i should have seen the signs!) it is already few weeks into flowering stage... Very few nut sacks have actually opened yet though and i dont see any pollen or anything. How soon can a male start fertilizing other plants??

2) Can this male plant have fertilized my other (stilll vegetative) plants?? In other words, Can a male plant fetilize an immature vegetative plant?? Or is sex determined during flowering?

3) Could it be that my female seed turned male due to environmental conditions (dont know which ones, thouight my grow room was perfect in terms of light and temp...) and that a clone taken before this happened still be female? Would clones taken from this plant BEFORE flowering necessarily, for sure, 100 % turn into males ??

Can anyone please help me with this?? I hope I didnt ruin my whole harvest!
:thanks:
The Ganja Cowboy

get rid of it if you don't want seeds, clones would be same, female seeds are not 100% now and then one will hermie or be male. no worry for veggies, make sure to do a good cleaning of the room and rinse plants a few times before flowering next batch .

old red pretty much nailed it.

i dont know what causes it, (maybe a stray seed fell off a table and landed in a fem batch then got packaged up. who knows)

chances are its not your fault.

What is strange is that I grew this plant from a feminized seed.

It happens. Rarely, with the better breeders, but it happens.

Can this male plant have fertilized my other (stilll vegetative) plants?

No. Well... Yes. Most strains will start producing flowers (aka "pre-flowers") in the vegetative phase. Nothing to worry about, though, since they are still in active vegetative growth. You might notice a seed or two at some point in the future - but probably not.

Can a male plant fetilize an immature vegetative plant??

Immature? No. An immature cannabis plant is incapable of flowering.

Or is sex determined during flowering?

The plant's sex is (mostly) determined early. IIRC, around the second through fourth weeks of growth or something like that.

Stress later can affect the plant's sex; generally it does so be encouraging hermaphrodism ;). But it is within the realm of possibility that a plant "become" male due to later stress. Schrödinger's cat was simultaneously alive and dead... until someone opened the box to check (lol).

Could it be that my female seed turned male due to environmental conditions

Absolutely. Or it could have just came as a predetermined(sic) male. Feminized isn't a 100% certainty. The majority of feminized seeds (from decent breeders) will produce female plants under good environmental conditions - but then again, a person could hop into their fine German automobile, head down the expressway going 75mph with the cruise control on while listening to the radio... and be utterly astounded when their multi-computer anti-lock braking system suddenly goes into full panic-stop mode without warning.

and that a clone taken before this happened still be female?

Likely you wouldn't have taken cuttings from it that early. Unless you meant "hermaphrodite" when you stated "male," in which case you might have produced clones before the stress factor caused a prone(+/-) plant to go shim occurred; but it'd be comparable to removing a trigger from the life of someone who is... capable of exhibiting schizophrenia - the chance of it occurring if another stress-factor is introduced in the future is unaffected.

Would clones taken from this plant BEFORE flowering necessarily, for sure, 100 % turn into males ??

Uncertainty principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey All!!!
Thanx a lot for your input!! Its very helpful! Im new to this (forum and our common hobby), I accidently posted the same post twice in two different sections thinking maybe i had posted in the wrong section. I got an interesting reply trhere too so just to further the discussion i am reposting KeepitSimple's answer to my question here in an attempt to regroup the information!

alryt ganga cowboy

yea feminized seeds are not 100% guarenteed they can become hermies how close is your vegative operation you could of had a light leak into your flower room you need total darkness for 12 hours other factors like high temps and stress can cause it and i guess just bad luck sometimes also veging a plant for so long IMO is wasted time after about 18inch tall in veg ur gona get imature buds due to lack of light penetration to lower branches and also such a long wait until harvest and then even bigger disappointing if they do not make it i would suggest taking a look at 420fieds 2ltr hempy grow for a quicker harvest also taking a cutting from that plant means that it should be an exact replica of its mother if grown in the same conditions so personally i would double check your set up for light leaks and temps etc if you find nothing out of the norm i wud start some new seeds where did you get your seeds? what strain are they?

gd luck

SO!!
Here is what I found out:

I probably had a light leak from my vegi room into the flowering room... I also couldnt resist checking up on it at night... Peeeking in to see how she was doing... Guess she didnt like my latre night visits! Sometimes too much attention is like too little I guess!

I already got rid of the plant (with tears in my eyes: was supposed to be my only smoke for the next few months! I guess it was destined to make my eyes red either way... :p!).

Wow i let mine get about 4 feet before flowering, sometimes more. i only harvest top 1/2 to 2/3 of plant and let the bottoms keep going for 2 or 3 weeks, usually use most of that for making killer hash.

bigger plants=bigger budz jmo

works for me, huge harvest. sometimes i top some times not, wish i had pics of the biggest indoor plant i ever grew. one plant filled 10x12 room and over 6 ft tall buds big as my thigh, well worth the extra time vegin!
also i leave several buds and leaves on the bottom and put under 24 hours light, sometimes they go back veg sometimes they just die! you'd be amazed at what you can get doing that.

6 ft plant not bud. i don't much care if you believe me, just sharing my experience! but i've only been in the hobby of growing for 32 years so you may be way more experienced than i am.
try looking up supercropping and monstercropping

Hey Red, Thats super interesting! I was just reading a thread about that actually (if its possible to go back to 24h light after flowering). They seemed to say it wasnt a good idea for the risk of going back to veg mode, but i guess when you been doing it as lomg as you, you can play around with teh parameters like a good recipe...
I wasnt actuallyt trytin to get it to be so big, it was fat and bushy in the betgining and then it just shot up all at once, and it wasnt so bushy on the top... I talked to it and stuff and considering it was almost chest high it made a pretty good companion! Im pretty sure its the light leak is to blame for the sex change. I would like to show pictures but am not sure how to upload... NOt sure how much i should be tgetting in to details either for the choppers and stuff, do they read this!?
Anyway the one that turned were seeds given tome by a friend and it was (if i understood correctly) a mix of blue berry and afghan train wreck... Maybe you could tell me more if i had some pics. Others in my garden include a lowryder, i let the BB X A-train get about twice as big as teh lowryder and then moved it into another room, adjacent. The thing is the lowryder still needs 24 h light during flowering, so im gonna need 2 rooms to grow both varieties. + i got some local strain of seeds that i got from some really crappy weed i bought that had seeds in it... I grew those seeds and ended up with a hermie and kept all those seeds now im growing the hermie"s seeds in teh hops they will all be female and that i can take even a low grade quality of seeds and by growing them in my grow room make it better... im treatingt it like a science experiment!

just gotta work on that light leak!

first, get rid of your hermie seeds! my exp has been hermie seeds = hermie plants..
going back to veg can be a bit dangerous, you really have to keep inspecting closely for male flowers. i had 3 plants on 3rd time flowering suddenly pop out banannas like crazy on all 3. technically seeds from these should be female and so far the 4 that popped up on theyre own ar all female.
crappy weed mostly produces seeds for crappy weed, allthough you will get lucky once in a while, afterall it is a majical plant.
are you in mi? i'm n of det. east side.
personally never had a hermie from light leaks, but any stress can cause probs. i had one time where somehow my timer got bumped or something and the light was coming on for 15 or 20 min. in the middle of dark cycle. severely hurt the yeild but was still killer weed, just real fluffy and light, 1/4 looked like an oz

Thanx Red!
I dont know what MI is, but i guess im not there. Actually I am in one of the places described in this article:

Places Pot People Should Avoid Around The World

My hermies are on their way and i guess only a few weeks before flowering.... SHould I really kill them from my grow room?? I was planning on keeping a close eye on them. I knew the risk of getting males, but I think I was mislead into believing that hermies gave female seeds!

I wish I could show you some pictures though! They look pretty cute!
I tried uploading to the website and it said i had to post a link from another website??
Crappy weed is better than no weed... But i guess i am wasting place in my room that could be used to grow my two other strains... i dunno I just threw them in there for a freebie, to have variety and different tastes! Mainly I was curious to see what I could get outta it, I was told they use it to make hash usually and do not usually smoke the buds...
I will double check my timer!! I think the light leak was just from the adjacent veg room sepertated by only a few sheets and towels I hung from the ceiling... Was almost perfectly dark, but i guess it wasnt enough!

im thinking of keeping only one room and getting everybody into flowering at the same time... Do you think there would be any problem with that?
What about the lowryders who are self flowering. Basically tehy can go throughout the entire cycle on 24h light, including flowering. What would putting them on a 12-12 cycle do??

hemies do give female seeds... they just also have a high chance to hermie also... unless you know how to breed them properly so they dont.

and 12-12 on a auto, is fine.. i heard 14/10 on an auto is the best ratio. but dont quote me on that

could i start sum new lowryders (from seed) in a 12-12 cycle with teh flowering ones??

how do you breed them properly so they dont turn????? you mean... i have to have sex with them?! :p

Back
Top Bottom