Help With Cuttings In Clone Machine

stressedfello

After numerous fails cloning w/ rockwool I've decided to build a cloning machine. It's my first time using a DIY aeroponic cloning machine so I don't know how the stem and new roots are suppose to look. There were signs of root growth after day 6 so I was expecting them to be ready for transplant after a couple more days but it seems like the roots did not grow any longer. Can you experts out there check out my pictures and give me some input? Any input is greatly appreciated! Im currently using:

-PHed 5.8 tap water
-1tsp of superthrive/gal
-clonex gel on cuttings
-on/off 15min on water pump
-24/7 on air pump
-Strain GD
1jpg2.jpg

3jpg.jpg
4jpg.jpg
5jpg.jpg
2jpg.jpg

PS. today will be day 14 since i've place them into the cloning machine and have only changed out the water once on day 13.

Re: HELP!! w/ Cuttings in Clone Machine

i could be wrong. but IMO you should be adding something like ZHO powder, and hydroguard to the water, instead of superthrive.

it kind of looks like you have some root slime going on. which will lead to root rot.

i always found when using superthrive in a hydro or aero setup, root slime is soon to follow.

maybe try again with zho + hydrogaurd.

Is there any way to fix the slim? Is there any way to save the cuttings at all? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Is there any clone machine user out there that can help me please? This thing is stressing me out :(

there is a benny tea that could fix it, but, it might be too late, if it is indeed slime. the benny tea is basicly worm castings + ZHO + hydroguard + molasses brewed for 48 hours.

but im afraid the tea might clog your sprayers... therefor zho + hydroguard added directly to the res might help.

but either way the best cure is to prevent it in the first place, but its worth a shot.

if you want to go an easier route... try starting your clones in "rapid rooters" they work amazingly. and a plus tot hem, is they can be put straight into hydro, or dirt without problems.

Does anybody know if that is slime growing on the stems in the pictures? and if it is indeed slime would the cuttings still root if i was to cut the slime/bad part off of the stem and redoing the whole thing?

well... does it feel slimy?

and potentially it could work, as long as you correct the reason it happened... if it is indeed slime... you will need to 100% bleach your whole system, in hot hot water, carefull not to let ANY of it live...

if the slime lives, it will just multiply and you will be back to square one within a few days.

there is the possibility that soon your clones will damp off, from the bacteria as well.

but either way, if you are going to try and save them, CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! , and put some kind of beneficial fungus and bacterias in your water to fight the slime. otherwise... i would have to say your probably shit outta luck..

also... rmemeber, slime can strike at any point in a plants life... and WILL kill it (fairly quickly too) if left untreated. take the steps to prevent it in the first place by colonizing your water.

well... does it feel slimy?

and potentially it could work, as long as you correct the reason it happened... if it is indeed slime... you will need to 100% bleach your whole system, in hot hot water, carefull not to let ANY of it live...

if the slime lives, it will just multiply and you will be back to square one within a few days.

there is the possibility that soon your clones will damp off, from the bacteria as well.

but either way, if you are going to try and save them, CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! , and put some kind of beneficial fungus and bacterias in your water to fight the slime. otherwise... i would have to say your probably shit outta luck..

also... rmemeber, slime can strike at any point in a plants life... and WILL kill it (fairly quickly too) if left untreated. take the steps to prevent it in the first place by colonizing your water.

hi nibec, i was planning to just use the clone machine to root the cuttings then i was going to transplant them in soil. but anyways i was checking up on the clones today and it does not feel slimy at all. so i have no idea if it is indeed slime or not..

if you are going into soil, i think your best bet, is rapid rooters... they are pretty much fail proof.

i have never had success with rockwool whatsoever, but i have never lost one in a rapid rooter, and im a pretty noobie cloner. i normally grow from seed.

that, or if you are going through all the trouble... why not just put them in soil to root?

anyways, with the rapid rooter... just fill the tray it comes with, with water to the indicated level. put your clones in them... and put a clear dome on them, with a hole in it for light air flow and keep the humidity up.. then simply top up with water every day. and wait for them roots.

if you only need a few, put them in a shot glass intsead of the tray, and just check them once a day to make sure they are still moist.

they are basicly just a sponge, made from some kind of bark, with a bunch of bacteria in them that helps clones with rooting. in short. they work amazingly for seeds too.

if you dont use them all, store them in an air tight bag, in a dark place.

lets try to figure out why your clones arent rooting however...

if there is no slime... what are your temperatures at? clones looooove warm temps with high humidity and low light while they are attempting to root.

im suprised to see you have no yellow leaves on your clones... typically they should be eating themselves to stay alive... and you should see yellow by now..

lets try to figure out why your clones arent rooting however...

if there is no slime... what are your temperatures at? clones looooove warm temps with high humidity and low light while they are attempting to root.

im suprised to see you have no yellow leaves on your clones... typically they should be eating themselves to stay alive... and you should see yellow by now..

my humidity is at like 50-55% and temperature is always around 79-80 degree. I too am very surprised at how green and strong they stand, that's why i dont understand why it stunt because i at day 6 they were already exploded with roots, they just never grew long =/

What is your solution temperature? I have been doing a lot of successful cloning the past few weeks and when I see your results at 6 days, I would cut back the root until you reach green; essentially you are re-cutting it for cloning again. In some cases, I need to start with a new cutting if the stem has become too hard to pass nutrients.

My successful recipe for cloning in 5 gallons of solution:

Change your water to straight tapwater (do not pH adjust it!),

Add only 1 teaspoon of Superthrive,

Add a half teaspoon of Epsom Salts (for Calcium & Magnesium),

Add a tablespoon of common household bleach.

Scrape a thin layer from 4 sides of at least 2" of the stem, dip in cold tapwater, dip in rooting powder and let soak for 5-10 minutes before turning on the water pump. If you use cloning gel, so be it. The idea is to let it interact with the cutting's tissues before it rises off and mixes with the tapwater.

You can check the cloning results I have had in my grow journal. The worst problem is allowing the solution to go over 78 degrees (F). I saw good root growth after 4 days, and 95% viability after a week. Another potential issue is cleanliness of the system - success with the first batch but failure in successive batches could mean the need for a more robust cleansing next batch - bleach is your friend! The reason I use tapwater and bleach is because the cuttings like it!

100_08429.JPG

100_08607.JPG

:thumb:

:peace:

Thanks Aardvark, thats some very impressive roots. I wish mine was like that. I'll give your recipe a try if my current batch doesnt come thru

Back
Top Bottom