Stupid Question About Cloning Machines?

josh223

My neoprene pucks seem to get nasty, in extreme cases growing some form of white mold that causes stem rot. I try to be as neurotic as possible with cleanliness, but to no avail.

I recently gave up and bought an entire new cloning machine. I dipped in Clonex gel, used Clonex Solution in the reservoir, and Ez Clone's Clear Rez. Still I had mold grow right in the split of some of the pucks. This was the first go around with a brand spanking new machine and components.

In the past I've tried sterilizing using bleach, over-the-counter hydrogen peroxide, and Clorox Kitchen and Bath Cleanup. I've tried using the washing machine with bleach and hot water and then high heater in the dryer. Still get the mold.

So yesterday I tried and failed using my pressure cooker as an autoclave. 30 minutes at 15 lb.s shrink the pucks around 50%.

Our little rental home does not have a modern dishwasher. What can I do? How do I sterilize properly?

:420:

Added: I forgot to mention that I also do my best to maintain proper reservoir temps. This last batch the water was at a constant 76 F. I lost 4 out of 36. I lost an additional two more less than a day from transplant. I'm used to 100% success rate.

Re: Stupid Question About Cloning Machines...?

I'd say mold. It feels "pillowy" to the touch. It can be wiped off fairly easily even though it can grow fairly thick. Not grey colored, pure white. Sorry, no pics.

I think I'll attempt to use someone's dishwasher. I figured using a brand new machine, adding the Rez Clear in addition to the liquid Clonex would have eliminated the issue.

I just use municipal tap water. I got a report a few months back. Didn't list anything like that in the analysis. I'm kinda at a loss. Makes it hard to do SOG-gotta have a reliable clone operation.

It migt be powder midew bu without pic itg hard to say. U c ntry to boil whatrver u can n use hydrogen peroxide for the rest.

dont put clonex in ur res it will make it gungy and block filter. fill bath with water and add lots bleach or peroxide and put the pucks in, run the system with water and bleach tokill any nasties in there and wipe down the top of tray.

when u transplant clones are u allowing the top of pucks to get wet or spilling water on the to mat? that will give u algae if light is getting on it. are u sure its not pythium? if water temps are too high that could be the cause, it makes the stems of the clones soft and mushy, is that what u are talking about? i find this happens when i use cloning gels in my cloners, i have no idea why.

Well, in the past I'd take the clones and sit them in water until they were all taken. Then I'd trim unnecessary leaves. Then stick the stem under water to make the final cut (to prevent an embolism). Then they'd be dipped in Clonex Gel. In that process the top of the pucks would get damp.

At the end of the summer, with the old cloning machine, I had difficulty keeping the reservoir temps low enough. I'm sure the issue was pythium, hence a new set up.

Last go around, with the new machine, I didn't cut the stems under water. I tried to keep everything dry. Also should add that there are many mother plants and veging clones in the same chamber. No issues with the other plants. Still, it seems that the slit of the pucks allow enough dampness to the top to create a breeding ground for what appears to be some sort of downy-white mold. It's almost like damp cotton or goose down.

I've had the next set of clones in the cloner for four days now. No sign of trouble yet even though the Mrs. mistakenly through out the rest of the new pucks.

I took some pics of some older pucks that I didn't bother to clean last time. Keep in mind that these have not been used in over a month. What you see was once pure white color. Looks more like mildew now. I don't really care what genus it belongs to, just don't want it.

Iphone_112.jpg
Iphone_111.jpg
Iphone_110.jpg

We all have our own methods which work best for us. I don't know much about those pucks you're using or a cloning machine. What I can tell you is that I've got some really great plants growing right now which were cloned. Most of them I used grow blocks for, but some of them all I did was cut the plant top and then stick it into some nice wet soil. My point is that you can use all kinds of fancy machinery and gimmicks but in the end, it's just a plant, a weed at that, and it will almost have to be killed to stop it from growing.

We all have our own methods which work best for us. I don't know much about those pucks you're using or a cloning machine. What I can tell you is that I've got some really great plants growing right now which were cloned. Most of them I used grow blocks for, but some of them all I did was cut the plant top and then stick it into some nice wet soil. My point is that you can use all kinds of fancy machinery and gimmicks but in the end, it's just a plant, a weed at that, and it will almost have to be killed to stop it from growing.

I comprehend your point. I have a limited space for veg/clone purposes. It's hard to argue (when everything is going how it should) 36 fully rooted clones in a roughly 14"x14" area.

I grow Sea Of Green style. I've been attempting to do it perpetually, but one needs a lot a viable clones for maximum grams/sq. ft.

SeattleHood_Canal_1_250.jpg

Picture_08013.jpg

Seems to me that ur doing prtty good wit ur success on cloning ratio. U can have a perpetual grow but u might have to limit the number of plants in each stage.

Yeah. Flowering tent is 4'x4'. That means I can fit 121 2 liter Hempy pots in there. Most I've gotten up to in the past was around 78 or so.

The strain I'm currently working with is Holy Grail Kush. It takes a bit longer to finish. Also takes a bit longer to set roots.

I realize that eventually I'll have to lay off the cloning because the flowering tent will be at capacity. I just want it at capacity as soon as possible. I.E. as many clones per batch as possible.

I know what you mean about available real estate. I've got several clones going and they are quickly catching up with the others. I can see that unless I get a grow tent in this room it's going to be hard to keep a perpetual grow going. The clones need 18/6 and the flowering plants need only 12/12.

I hear u that u can root cuts in just about anything but for guaranteed results everytime u just cant beat aeroclones. i use mainly my aerocloners, i run several 105 site systems, but i also use rockwool, jiffy pellets and root riot cubes. they all work well but aeroclones are much more versatile.

I've seen something like this on foundation walls, or even aerators on faucets. On foundation walls you will see it where there are leaks and it will lightning bolt across and it's from salt build ups. On aerators it's also because of hard water. Just a thought. What are your ppm out of your tap? And what are the ppm of your nute rez? Not saying it is this but just a thought. Good luck hope you figure it out.

it looks like salt or calcium build up. if its mold peroxide will kill it.

Well, I've been doing a lot of reading. From what I have gathered I'm doing everything correctly. Alas, I'm still having the mold. It's not in the reservoir, only on the pucks. Spraying with hydrogen peroxide helps keep it at bay, just doesn't kill it.

The reservoir temp is dead on 75 F. The water is changed weekly. No slime, odor, or plugger sprayers.

Here's some just taken pics. These were brand new pucks. I don't really know what else to do. I have enough new pucks for two more cloning sessions which will be enough for now as long as I get decent survival rates.

I found some, what appeared to be silicone, pucks online. They are supposed to be able to be heat sterilized. May look into them. I just can't fathom people with larger cloners replacing the pucks every time. And these were new pucks. WTF?

Iphone_113.jpg
Iphone_114.jpg
Iphone_115.jpg
Iphone_116.jpg
Iphone_117.jpg

I suggest you get the best Hepa Furnace Filter you can to try to combat you air born mold. An air purifier removes mold , and UV Ozone generator kills mold. you can also peroxide clean than cover the entire top of the cloner with baking soda

Back
Top Bottom