Help with stem problem - Rare or common? What is it?

Jdubs714

I am brand new here, so I apoligize to the forum if I am posting this in the wrong place. So, my girls have a new issue and I cannot find anything at all to identify it. They are all very healthy otherwise, but this is the second time this has happened! The stem on a plant has turned to wood. A 6" section of one shoot on one plant has shrunken down, lost its color and looks like wood. It seems to have cut off all nutrients to the cola on that shoot. Does anyone know what this could be? Im in soil, with FoxFarm Nutes, 12/12, 1 week from scheduled harvest, indoor with ideal conditions, and it has been raining alot so I have been fighting RH with Doctor Zymes. I can post pics when lights come on.

Did it look something like the attached photos?...happened to me 2 years ago...not sure exactly the cause...mold/mildew/disease??...tried washing affected area with peroxide solution, with no real results...also another another area on the same stem began the same thing...was about 2 weeks from harvest, so I took her down, so as not compromise the rest of the crop(and she was dying slowly)...turned out some "happy smoke"tho'...perhaps if I had paid more attention and caught it sooner...the peroxide solution might have helped...dunno?...not much help I know...just to let Ya' know...chit happens!...lolool...cheerz...h00k...:hookah:...

P10506261.JPG

P10506201.JPG

P10506251.JPG

Yes Hook! It does. Its like that, but longer and without any black stuff or any damage. Its just like that but very clean, like there is no sign of fungas, mold, or anything. Just the slim light colored stem that shrunk. I have to climb through to get to her, so a pic is coming when I feed tonight.

For the cell structure to harden until it becomes wood like seems like either a calcium or potassium deficiency but that is just best guess. Would definitely be interested to see your pics. This is a great spot full of experienced growers so I'm sure someone will know the exact problem.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thank you, that is very good information, I never even thought it may be a deficiency. I just assumed diseass or pest. Because the leaves are all healthy. I am going to get the pic up tonight at 11 when I get back in there and feed. Thank you CannabisColin! A question for Hook, when you had this issue, did you have gnats or mites? And were you experimenting with adding Co2 in your garden?

I wouldn't think deficiency...usually first notice that on the leaves...no pests that year jd...a lil deficiency on a strawberry Blue...but...it finished well(awesome smelling plant!)...the plant with the stem issue was a THC Bomb...one of three...all other plants no issue like that one...almost like someone took sandpaper to it...leaves were fine, but as the stem got worse...then leaves started drooping...will check your pic(s) out later...cheerz...h00k...:hookah:...

OH!...and welcome to :420:...you as well CC...

Nitrogen issues definitely show on the leaves first but not necessarily K or Ca. The plant would instinctively bypass fixing those areas in order to procreate. That could explain why Hooks weak structured plant turned into a THC bomb. ( the plant used all of its powers to set itself up for the best chance to reproduce) Especially because it is in the flower cycle you would likely have to go back to a veg state for the plant to heal the weak areas.

Interesting theory...I don't necessarily subscribe to it...but, not saying it isn't so...just dunno...CaptainBlast had a similar problem as well...after cleaning/scrubbing with peroxide solution, he sprayed affected areas with diluted milk(calcium!?...dunno) and eventually they cleared up(various branches...not main stock)...in any event...mine is done...hopefully nothing as serious with jd's...cheerz...h00k...

I wouldn't think deficiency...usually first notice that on the leaves...no pests that year jd...a lil deficiency on a strawberry Blue...but...it finished well(awesome smelling plant!)...the plant with the stem issue was a THC Bomb...one of three...all other plants no issue like that one...almost like someone took sandpaper to it...leaves were fine, but as the stem got worse...then leaves started drooping...will check your pic(s) out later...cheerz...h00k...:hookah:...

OH!...and welcome to :420:...you as well CC...

Thank you kindly Dr.Hook and CC. I will be in with the girls in 1.5 hours and giving a feed. I have 9 girls ready tonight to harvest and then the rest (14 - mix of Alien, Loctite, and 818 Headband) which are all monster crops cut from a flowering plant, will have about 3 weeks to go. I will get a pic up first thing. Can I ask a new question here, or do I need to start a new thread?

BTW, diggin your posts Dr.Hook! Im on my 4th grow as well, and spend the majority of my time researching. It seems like there arent alot of scientific answers out there and getting good information is hard to come by so I really do appreciate your taking the time to help me with my issue guys. Thank you.

No worries bud. Jacked to see your girlfriends. I have been growing for about 12 years and have Horticultural Degree with a Turfgrass Major. I love all grass ha ha I learn new things about this beautiful plant everyday and I think that's what makes it so cool!

Very cool! I appreciate your guys' help. Sorry I didnt get the pics up! I built a veg box for my seedlings and went to feed at 2am when I pulled out the magnifying glass and realized I needed to start cutting and trimming ASAP! I have 9 big girls to do myself. Been me and Netflix all night and I think I will be doing this until tomorrow afternoon! Exciting!!! But not excited for the trimming part. I wish I was faster at this, or at least trusted someone to do it for me. So Sticky, So sticky! Hey, do your buds lose tbeir smell before harvest and until curing brings it through? This is a problem I have.... Or maybe I am just used to the smell and cant smell it.

Back
Top Bottom