Hey guys, first time grower, leaves started turning white

Pothus420

420 Member
Hey everyone.

My autoflowering plants haven't been doing as well as I hoped. They're quite small and not growing so quickly, but up until now they've seemed healthy and green. Now the leaves are turning white and I don't know why.

I've had them under not too strong reading lamps for their first month or two, but just this week I started putting them outside in the full sun for a few hours, so I don't know if it could be that.

Also, the soil i am using was bought from a grden store, ph 5.5, I know this is a little too much so I wonder if its nutrient burn? Is there any good household ingredient to neutralise the soil??

I've attached photos to help.

Please help guys i love my babies!

20210325_172526.jpg
20210325_172506.jpg
20210325_172502.jpg
20210325_172456.jpg
20210325_172448.jpg

Please help

Hey everyone.

My autoflowering plants haven't been doing as well as I hoped. They're quite small and not growing so quickly, but up until now they've seemed healthy and green. Now the leaves are turning white and I don't know why.

I've had them under not too strong reading lamps for their first month or two, but just this week I started putting them outside in the full sun for a few hours, so I don't know if it could be that.

Also, the soil i am using was bought from a grden store, ph 5.5, I know this is a little too much so I wonder if its nutrient burn? Is there any good household ingredient to neutralise the soil??

I've attached photos to help.

Please help guys i love my babies!

20210325_172526.jpg
20210325_172506.jpg
20210325_172502.jpg
20210325_172456.jpg
20210325_172448.jpg

Please help
Cute girls my friend, welcome to 420. Your girls are hungry. Have you been feeding them anything. How have you been watering them?
Is there proper drainage in that pot?
Taking them outside won't hurt them.

I gave this to them once, about 2/3 weeks ago. I heard that autoflowers don't need too much nutrients so I haven't fed them since. I've been watering them when the top two inches of soil dries out. Pots have meshed drainage holes but not so big (maybe they are too small?).

As you can see, the bad leaves curl upwards.

This is happening to all 5 of my plants at once!

Is it definitely underfeeding? I can give them another boost of nutrients from this liquid fertiliser..

Or maybe the pH of the soil is bad as it says on the soil packet 5.5! How/should I change this?

I have also been feeding them filtered water. The water where I live is VERY hard (barcelona) so I filter it.

Thanks so much for your help !!!!!!!!!!!

16167572307312012474143287432715.jpg

16167590008208028428305285524574.jpg

16167590304122093695704253808679.jpg

16167591598408448740272072820190.jpg

16167591847588353573498416616936.jpg

I gave this to them once, about 2/3 weeks ago. I heard that autoflowers don't need too much nutrients so I haven't fed them since. I've been watering them when the top two inches of soil dries out. Pots have meshed drainage holes but not so big (maybe they are too small?).

As you can see, the bad leaves curl upwards.

This is happening to all 5 of my plants at once!

Is it definitely underfeeding? I can give them another boost of nutrients from this liquid fertiliser..

Or maybe the pH of the soil is bad as it says on the soil packet 5.5! How/should I change this?

I have also been feeding them filtered water. The water where I live is VERY hard (barcelona) so I filter it.

Thanks so much for your help !!!!!!!!!!!

16167572307312012474143287432715.jpg

16167590008208028428305285524574.jpg

16167590304122093695704253808679.jpg

16167591598408448740272072820190.jpg

16167591847588353573498416616936.jpg
Autos require as much nutrients as any other plant. Thats a myth.
Your pots are small and plastic which isn't optimum. But I wouldn't repot now if you have no experience. Make sure they have lots of drain holes. And feed them. Lift the pot to feel when its dry then water, feed,water, feed,water, etc. But let her dry in between.

I believe that the people here can help solve any problems you might have. You will have to give them a bit more information.
It does not look like the plants are in a natural soil so until you know more do not worry about neutralizing it. First step is to know what the plants are growing in. It does look like a coco coir, and maybe peat moss, based mix.

When you mention a ph of 5.5 you have to let us know what is this a measure of. Is it a ph of 5.5 for the soil? Or a measure of a ph of 5.5 for the water?

I believe that the people here can help solve any problems you might have. You will have to give them a bit more information.

It does not look like the plants are in a natural soil so until you know more do not worry about neutralizing it. First step is to know what the plants are growing in. It does look like a coco coir, and maybe peat moss, based mix.

When you mention a ph of 5.5 you have to let us know what is this a measure of. Is it a ph of 5.5 for the soil? Or a measure of a ph of 5.5 for the water?
Thanks for your help!! The soil is composted pine bark, sphagnum peat moss and coco coir. 80-95% organic material, ph 5.5, with mixed substrate with NPK (Mg) 16-11-10 (+2) at 1.50 kg/m^3 and 16-7-15 (+2) in 1kg/m^3.

Hope this helps thanks guys for helping my babies!!!

Autos require as much nutrients as any other plant. Thats a myth.
Your pots are small and plastic which isn't optimum. But I wouldn't repot now if you have no experience. Make sure they have lots of drain holes. And feed them. Lift the pot to feel when its dry then water, feed,water, feed,water, etc. But let her dry in between.
Thanks for the help Bill you're da man !!

Thanks for your help!! The soil is composted pine bark, sphagnum peat moss and coco coir. 80-95% organic material, ph 5.5, with mixed substrate with NPK (Mg) 16-11-10 (+2) at 1.50 kg/m^3 and 16-7-15 (+2) in 1kg/m^3.

Hope this helps thanks guys for helping my babies!!!
If I am figuring what that means based on what you have said and what is printed on the back of the bag you are using an artificial soil mix and you will have to start to apply nutrients.

Even though the coco coir and pine bark and peat moss are all organic they will not supply any measurable amounts of nutrients to the plants until they decompose which is going to be several years.

Hopefully someone who already grows in similar 'soilless' mixes will notice your message and can help out with recommendations on how to fertilize those plants to keep them healthy.

If I am figuring what that means based on what you have said and what is printed on the back of the bag you are using an artificial soil mix and you will have to start to apply nutrients.

Even though the coco coir and pine bark and peat moss are all organic they will not supply any measurable amounts of nutrients to the plants until they decompose which is going to be several years.

Hopefully someone who already grows in similar 'soilless' mixes will notice your message and can help out with recommendations on how to fertilize those plants to keep them healthy.
Also, the tap water here is quite hard as I said: average of pH 7.62 but between 7.2 and 8.1. That is why I have been filtering it because I thought that would make it less hard.
No idea what is on that label, I still have trouble with English. Hehe
I see you have a bottle of nutrients. If its all you have then use it. See what they recommend for mixing with water,mix a batch and start feeding asap.
If there is no soil in that mixture then your basically hydroponic.
Which means 5.8 ph, feed every time. But if its not soil at all it should be kept damp at all times. So there in lies the the issue soil requires a dry cycle between. If its coco based then must be kept wet. What exactly does it say ?

No idea what is on that label, I still have trouble with English. Hehe
I see you have a bottle of nutrients. If its all you have then use it. See what they recommend for mixing with water,mix a batch and start feeding asap.
If there is no soil in that mixture then your basically hydroponic.
Which means 5.8 ph, feed every time. But if its not soil at all it should be kept damp at all times. So there in lies the the issue soil requires a dry cycle between. If its coco based then must be kept wet. What exactly does it say ?
It is a peat moss base with the composted pine bark and the coco coir added. The peat should hold enough water to keep the mix moist for a couple of days for plants those size. Most likely it will be a matter of putting nutrients into the water each time but watering sessions can be several days apart is what I am thinking.

Looks like the label on the bottle of liquid fertilizer is printed in Portuguese and without being able to do a block and copy it means having to type in each word to get a translation. Got as far as "shake before..." .

It is a peat moss base with the composted pine bark and the coco coir added. The peat should hold enough water to keep the mix moist for a couple of days for plants those size. Most likely it will be a matter of putting nutrients into the water each time but watering sessions can be several days apart is what I am thinking.

Looks like the label on the bottle of liquid fertilizer is printed in Portuguese and without being able to do a block and copy it means having to type in each word to get a translation. Got as far as "shake before..." .
I have never used coco with peat added so I'm not sure how to water properly.
Smoking Wings makes a good point that the peat will hold water. So I think lifting her will give you an idea how much moisture is left in the pot , then water before it dries out. Im assuming. Anyone ever use coco with peat in it who can advise???

Haha sorry about this !! It's in spanish, its a general plant fertiliser. On the label it says shake before use. Use once a week between March and October. 1 top for 5 litres of water

Fertiliser solution npk 8+5+8 with micronutrients. 8% nitrogen (2.3% nitric nitrogen, 2.5% ammonium nitrogen and 3.2% urea nitrogen), 5% P2O5, 8% K2O, 0.01% Boron, 0.002% copper, 0.02% iron, 0.01% manganese, 0.001% molybdenum, 0.002% zinc. pH range for good stability 4-8. Low in chlorine

I use pro mix hp cc wich is coco and pete. Its actually really neat, you can let it dry out like pro mix hp or you can feed it like coco. Strange stuff. It is very forgiving.
Hey @Reave Thanks. I wasn't sure how to water it.
What method did you prefer.

I use pro mix hp cc wich is coco and pete. Its actually really neat, you can let it dry out like pro mix hp or you can feed it like coco. Strange stuff. It is very forgiving.
I think a lot of greenhouses and plant nursery businesses are using these peat & coco and a little bit of nurtrient mixes for their already potted summer flowers. Fill up the pot, stick in some Geraniums, Petunias or other flowers and they are ready to be sold to the average person who does not want to get involved in gardening beyond having some color on their porch or patio. End of the summer they can just throw it all away which is how some of us get some really nice containers for our own use.

Hey @Reave Thanks. I wasn't sure how to water it.
What method did you prefer.
I let them dry out most of the time, but I have used the advantage of being able to feed whenever to flush without issue, to introduce calmag when I had a deficiency without have to wait for the dry cycle with no drooping what-so-ever.

Back
Top Bottom