Hi 420mag! Seeking some tips for a first grow

snack420

Hi everyone,

I'm a long time 420 enthusiast and am finally in a position where I have my own place and a spare room where I can setup a small grow area, so I'm very excited to get this going! My goal is to just be able to grow enough for my own personal use, and probably give away any extra I have leftover. I figure 3-4 oz of bud per year would be plenty for me and from reading a bit about grows, it sounds like 2 decently sized plants could almost definitely provide this amount.

So, I guess my main questions revolve around advice for getting a good stealthy setup for 2 plants. There is a good hydroponics shop nearby, but I think I should probably go with a soil grow since I understand it is more forgiving and less overall maintenance. Also, I may go on a vacation for a week or so at some point during the grow. How do people usually deal with that? Are there auto-watering setups that can be used without too much risk to the plants?

Finally, unfortunately I don't have direct access to any good seeds or clones to get started right now. I'm very tempted to purchase some seeds from a seedbank online. With the President of the United States recently saying that MJ is less dangerous than alcohol and the way legally the country is becoming more lenient with MJ, I wonder if I should really worry at all about growing in my home? I'd be curious to hear what people think about that. I'm willing to spend some money to get a quality growing setup going, but I also want to not get in trouble unnecessarily, so any general tips would be greatly appreciated. :thanks:

Well, I guess that is a little long for a first post, but if you made it this far congratulation. I look forward to participating in the community!

420 for all!
:peace:

:welcome:
Hi Snack420,

As a fellow newb. advice I would give you is to read research and read some more. There is a lot of conflicting info out there. But knowledge and experience is power, hence why you have come to the right place. :420: There are so many experienced people here that are very helpful.

Some hydro stores sell seeds. Often you have to first build a rapport with the shop in order to get this info especially if you live in a place where it is a no no. ;)

Personally I would not order them in the mail. I don't know where you live but sometimes a little road trip is smarter. :)

:Namaste:

Hi MaryJWanna,

Thanks for that advice and the welcome message. Good to know! I'd totally be up for a road trip if I knew where to get them, but I'll see about building some rapport at the local hydro shop first and see where that goes.

Ideally, I'd love to get my hands on some good sativa-dominant strain, like Blue Dream (which is awesome IMHO), so I might resort to ordering online if I can't find a local source. I sort of find it hard to believe that law enforcement is going to come after me if I buy a few seeds online, but maybe I'm just being naive.

Your tip is a good one though about reading. I've read a bunch already and am reading more from this guide now, How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know. Wow, it's a lot of information and a little overwhelming, but at least I can't complain it's not comprehensive :)

Good for you! First grows have a steep learning curve. But I read somewhere that you are always going to run into something and its how you address the issue and deal with it that will determine if you will succeed or fail.

There are tons of grow journals here to help you with set ups etc. Lots of info about strains and reviews. various answers to many of the questions you will have.

And when it is time you can start your own journal and share with us your experience.
Good Luck and hope to see you around :)

I've been reading and learning a lot, but one thing I'm not sure to handle is how I can deal with my plants when I am away for a week? I don't want to give anyone else the responsibility (and the trust) to take care of them (it is a stealth grow after all), and I'm planning to probably go away for about a week after about 2 months into the grow, so probably after I've already put them into 12/12 flowering. My question is, using 5gal buckets of coco coir, what are my options for providing all the water the ladies need over that week while I'm away. Are there some auto-watering systems (that aren't a big investment) that can be used in this case? My understanding is when in flowering, they will probably need to be watered every day?

Thanks for any help!
:peace:

Herbies pick n mix sells seeds cheap and by mail, no problem man I and I'm sure hundreds of other growers have bought off them as well. And with lighting go with LEDs save electricity and no heat, but seeds in mail is just fine

as another fellow n00b, I did the following

pop seeds into receptacle of water - Idiot proof 100% germ rate so far

read the 420 guide

prepare a pot of soil, dig out a small section in the middle, fill with seedling soil - this prevents having to repot, and also stops seedlings from burning in hot soil

read the 420 guide

give lots of light, the more the better

read the 420 guide

water when required, give earth juice as per the advice on here

read the 420 guide

wait 3 months

enjoy

Back
Top Bottom