Will this be okay for a simple sprout only grow room?

anotherstoner670

420 Member
Hi, I'm a new grower and I was just wondering if this was an okay setup for a grow room just for sprouts, I wasn't going for anything special I opened my closet mirror and I decided to make this, I'm not sure if it'll be fine. All I have is a light setup and thats about it, nothing special added to it I just need it for sprouts.

Attachments

• IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    591.2 KB · Views: 92
Hi @anotherstoner670 - great question!

The germination stage and the seeding stage are the most critical.

We need to make sure that the environment is stable and healthy:
  • Seedlings and clones like high humidity levels of 65-70%
  • Reason: The root system is not established
  • High humidity levels allow water intake through leaves
  • Temperatures with lights on: 20-25 °C (68-77 °F) (lights off: 4-5 °C (8-10 °F) lower)
The light is important too:

A house light will not have the correct spectrum of light needed by plants.

You can get a low wattage CFL light bulb.

You should have a small fan to circulate the air so mold doesn't strike.

The seedlings need fresh air too - and they don't smell - so likely a good idea to keep the door open! If you close the door, it will get too hot very quickly.

You've got holes in the bottom of those solo cups so the water can drain out right?

You need to get them off the floor and make sure the cups are not sitting in water - otherwise the roots will drown.

Alright - keep us posted on how those seedlings turn out.

CFL grow lights have a specific spectrum, it says daylight but needs to be a 6500k for Veg. Then 2700k for flower.

Watts equal grams of weed, as in W x 1.5 gram. So a CFL of 6700k spectrum should be ok for sprouts but growing you'd need a truck load of CFL. That's watts from the wall not equivalent watts.

Very soon after sprout you need full spectrum grow lights. Some brands can be mega expensive. Mars Hydro has some affordable. A 600w ts600 runs $80 and covers 1.8' by 1.8'. The Ts600 pulls 100w wall so potential is 100 x 1.5g.

You'll want a good soil, absolutely no Miracle grow anything.

I use happy frog soil. It has enough food in it for about 2 months. In that soil you need 33% pearlite for drainage, weed roots don't like to be in compacted wet soil all the time.

You'll need fertilizer as well, Mega Crop is simple and inexpensive but don't start dumping it on day one. They have a free sample of you Google it. It solves a lot of problems because some systems of fertilizer you can pop $100 to get started good.

GL Google and this forum are your friend.

What are your plans once the plants are bigger? Do you have a space for bloom?

A 3x3x6 and a Mars Hydro ts600 will set you back about $160, Vivosun makes a good tent well priced. Amazon has both

Back
Top Bottom