Grow room smell!

raisingcain

whats up 420
I'm an outdoor grower but am constructing a grow room out of a 12x10 spare bedroom and I have a question about the smell.
So I sprouted and vegged some plants this spring indoors and couldn't smell in anything in my house without ANY ventilation in the room, just a fan.
I really don't care if my neighbors smell anything outside when I start flowering plants indoors this winter but I do not want my house to smell like a grow room.

My question is.............
If my grow room is pulling fresh air from inside my house through the bottom of the door and is exhausted directly outside through a sealed bedroom window ( covered with OSB with a sealed hole for the duct opening )would that be enough ventilation to keep the smell out of the house? I really don't want to have to buy carbon filters if I don't have to.

whats up 420
I'm an outdoor grower but am constructing a grow room out of a 12x10 spare bedroom and I have a question about the smell.
So I sprouted and vegged some plants this spring indoors and couldn't smell in anything in my house without ANY ventilation in the room, just a fan.
I really don't care if my neighbors smell anything outside when I start flowering plants indoors this winter but I do not want my house to smell like a grow room.

My question is.............
If my grow room is pulling fresh air from inside my house through the bottom of the door and is exhausted directly outside through a sealed bedroom window ( covered with OSB with a sealed hole for the duct opening )would that be enough ventilation to keep the smell out of the house? I really don't want to have to buy carbon filters if I don't have to.

Your goal would need to be to have negative pressure in your room by pulling more air out than is being pushed in. If more air is being pushed in (by cfm), then all the air in the room will be pushing out of any crack it can find. But if more air is being pulled out, then all those little cracks will be sucking air into the room, trapping your smell in the room, and then sucking it out the filter (or just canfan, in your case).

raisingcain: I have the same setup as you are considering. When I close the grow room door, no smell can be detected anywhere else in the house. A couple weeks from harvest, and I REALLY get a whiff of odor when I go into the room, however! LOL!

In the room, I have:

A 6" desk fan in each grow tent (for air circulation)
A double 8" window fan pointed outward, to suck the air out. This is one unit that adjusts to window width.
A 5 gallon DIY odor sink near the window to cut the odor down a bit before it heads out the window.

The door to the room is short enough to allow air into the room, and the fans push it outside.

Ok great, assumed the negative pressure pulling the air in and then out of the window might do the trick. Thanks guys. Check out my journal if/ when u get a chance would love some feedback I'll get another one going soon for the indoor and give a smell report

It would be helpful if you intake was weaker than your output, but if they were of equal cfm ratings, it would probably work too, just not quite as efficiently.

Really consider getting a carbon filter. Even if it's all legal and safe, some neighborhoods still have rules around offensive smells over long periods. Composters, chickens, dogs, etc. They arent all that expensive. Also if you have a filter you can pipe the hot air into another room which is really useful in winter.

If you are set on not getting/using a carbon filter...like me ;) then consider something like OnaGel situated next to one of your oscillating fans. I used a carbon filter last grow to epic non-smell success. This time I'm bypassing that mainly just to see how good OnaGel is. Inside my tent my flowering Low-Diesel absolutely stinks! Outside the tent is a gentle aroma of apple crumble.

Anyone else have success using OnaGel instead of a CF or a similar product?

If you are set on not getting/using a carbon filter...like me ;) then consider something like OnaGel situated next to one of your oscillating fans. I used a carbon filter last grow to epic non-smell success. This time I'm bypassing that mainly just to see how good OnaGel is. Inside my tent my flowering Low-Diesel absolutely stinks! Outside the tent is a gentle aroma of apple crumble.

I went the cheaper route and got solid round odor killers in Linen (Citrus Magic and a generic brand). The citrus scent smells nicer, but doesn't do as good of a job as Linen. There are a couple brands that you can pick up at Lowes or your grocery store in among the room deodorizer stuff.

I put two of them in the bottom of my DIY odor sink and it cuts the smell pretty well. But you DO need another fan in the window to push air from the room to outside, when you get to flower. Them ladies STINK! :lot-o-toke:

Onna will nver replace a CF... Better pull the exhaust in a charcoal bag and tie it, you will still have less MJ smell if at all.

I really wanted Ona Pro gel to work as I didn't have room for a carbon filter but it didn't. It works for smelly closet stuff like clothes or smelly shoes, not so much for buds. Plus it chemically alters bud aroma, it's advised not to be used in grow room. I had to get a tent and carbon filter.

Ever hear of this purple cleaner called Fabuloso? it's stronger than Ona in terms of odor masking. I put it on a rag or two when opening the tent :)

Back
Top Bottom