How are ceramic pipes and bongs?

My brother and I make ceramic pipes through our company called Owl House Pottery. Clay pipes are awesome. If you want to check them out, go to owlhousepottery.com. Happy smoking!

Hey, I've worked ceramics for 3 years and the first thing they tell you is that whenever an item bong, cup, planter or whatever is glazed and then high fired, that glaze is made up of properties that turn to glass when fired, at my studio we call it high fired and its all good for everything that you want to be made out of glass except it's not clear. That's right a glazed bong or pipe glazed if it looks like glass that's because it's glass. I made many and still make them at that I'd say I love to make them. Most people I give them to are into the high priced glass bongs. For a plain pipe with a carb is so much fun for me to make that I have several. Also, tyhey make great holders meaning you make a cylinder 2 o3 inches high I make it so the large Grey Goose Vodka cork fits the top and it keeps buds perfectly the way I like it. Any way if I can help you let me know.

First posting.

I've been around ceramics since I was about 5 years old and have been making ceramic pipes for about 20 years. For the most part, industrially mined and processed clay doesn't have heavy metals in it. If it has been fired properly (2000 degreesish), any impurities in it are negated. If you just go down by the creek and dig up a chunk, carve out a piece and start smoking from it without firing, it could lead to health problems.

As for the glazes, most of the commercially available ones are lead free and food safe. It's a very different world from when my folks ran their shop. The major glaze manufacturers are very sensitive to the safety of their products. As an end user, I never even consider using using non food safe glazes, whether my customer's mouth is going to touch the glazed part or not. It's not even close to worth it.

Think of it this way: people eat off ceramic plates and drink from ceramic mugs every day. Glaze, fired properly, goes through a chemical change that turns it into a type of glass. Whatever method you choose for cleaning glass will work just as well on cleaning ceramics.

By the way, I've seen Owl House's stuff for a while now and they do fantastic work.

natural_bubbler_spring_14.JPG

I am curious as to what is available in terms of ceramic water pipes. I have been throwing for the last couple of years and love making usable art, as I enjoy the act of smoking. I have made ceramic bongs, pipes, and bubblers, and want see if others are creating along the same lines. I am very interested in what others are trying, and would love to correspond further to bounce ideas around. I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas justin1287 and SnakeRiverPW.

As for smoking out of ceramics: I solely use high-fire (Cone10) porcelain and stoneware clay bodies, and glaze the inside of my pieces with celadon-based variants for ease-of-cleaning. (Glass v. satin/matt) I have never had a problem, but would not use low-fire, raku, salt/soda, or luster fire for functional smoking pieces.

I do use low fire clays and low fire glazes. They're all lead free and food safe. I have and use coffee mugs and other functional low fire clay/ glaze pieces that came out of my parent's shop 45+ ago. I feel very comfortable with both the safety and durability of earthenware.

I glaze my pieces on the inside too. Except the smaller pieces with smaller draw holes where the glaze might flow too much and plug the draw hole. Like these:

0071367.jpg

I worked in a pottery shop for maybe 10 years, but never learned to throw or sculpt. I mixed high fire throwing clay and slip and the pieces I did were from molds. I did learn how to pull mug handles and have a few pipe ideas based on that. For the most part I use commercially available molds, but I've also made several.

Love the piece you posted. Please post a pic when it's done.

"I worked in a pottery shop for maybe 10 years, but never learned to throw or sculpt. I mixed high fire throwing clay and slip and the pieces I did were from molds."

Given this information, sir I challenge you to push your envelope of production. First off, I am a novice when it comes to variety and experience in clay, and it is wonderful to hear that low fire is also functional for smoking. I really enjoy your glazing process as well, thank you for the picture. I will happily provide a finished picture should the piece make it all the way.

Now here is the challenge: as you have full-time access to a ceramics studio and mold casting, investigate natural bubblers to get around using the low-quality glass-slide downstems, and maybe look into ceramic-on-ceramic bowl placements ( if using pure porcelain slips). I can send you photos if you wish. If you could design a mold for an all-inclusive ceramic piece with a detachable bowl. I believe this would make your products completely unique, and most important from my stance as a potter, repeatable. That said, I love the shapes you have for the strait water pipes. Thanks for replying

Thanks for the compliment SnakeRiverPW. We now go under the name grasshopperpipes.com for our pipe work. You can check out some of our stuff there, or on facebook. We don't really sell much off our website at the moment, so there are only a few pieces on there, but you will get the point.
web06.jpg

"I worked in a pottery shop for maybe 10 years, but never learned to throw or sculpt. I mixed high fire throwing clay and slip and the pieces I did were from molds."

Given this information, sir I challenge you to push your envelope of production. First off, I am a novice when it comes to variety and experience in clay, and it is wonderful to hear that low fire is also functional for smoking. I really enjoy your glazing process as well, thank you for the picture. I will happily provide a finished picture should the piece make it all the way.

Now here is the challenge: as you have full-time access to a ceramics studio and mold casting, investigate natural bubblers to get around using the low-quality glass-slide downstems, and maybe look into ceramic-on-ceramic bowl placements ( if using pure porcelain slips). I can send you photos if you wish. If you could design a mold for an all-inclusive ceramic piece with a detachable bowl. I believe this would make your products completely unique, and most important from my stance as a potter, repeatable. That said, I love the shapes you have for the strait water pipes. Thanks for replying

Thanks so much for your kind words. i really appreciate it it.

I've tried to make ceramic downstems, but I honestly don't trust them. To have a tube that has thick enough inside to outside diameter that I'd be comfortable with, I'd have to use a fairly wide tube. Late last year I spent a couple of months trying to come up with a ground glass bowl/ ground ceramic stem combination. I still have it in my mind and will probably return to it when the busy season is over. But to be honest, I can get glass on glass downstems at a reasonable enough price that it makes making my own not very cost effective.

Which is kind of the rub. The people around me and the shops I service think I'm an artist, which I'm not. I'm more crafter than anything. What I'm trying to do is to do old school, fun stuff with with a little updated twist. More attention to detail than what gets mass produced in Asia. My goal is to put a really nice piece in the client's hand that won't break their bank. I'm not saying there's no place for $300 pieces, because there is. Just not for me. I'm my main demographic, I guess. Older stoners with a sense of humor and not a ton of money. My two biggest/ most expensive pieces are $60. Which is about $20 less than the most expensive piece I've ever bought for myself. If you were to shop a comparable glass piece and any of my price points, you'd pay a minimum of twice as much. I push that you're getting more bang for your buck. Pay less, smoke more.

It's a thin line I walk between being able to produce a consistent product, but push myself creatively. at the same time. Mostly that is coming up with new products. Almost everything I look at I wonder "how can smoke out you?".

Most of my hand pipes, not water, have an intigrated ceramic bowl. They're usually from thimble molds.

I'm interested in knowing more about natural bubblers. If you could send me a pic or two, that's be great

Thanks for the compliment SnakeRiverPW. We now go under the name grasshopperpipes.com for our pipe work. You can check out some of our stuff there, or on facebook. We don't really sell much off our website at the moment, so there are only a few pieces on there, but you will get the point.
web06.jpg

Wow! Great stuff, Justin. The waterpipe #37...that's a ceramic bowl and downstem? Can the stem come out or is it fused with the glaze? Love the chillums. I've made a couple of them with OK luck. It's another one I'm wanting to take some time to really learn how to make nice ones.

Thanks.....yeah, ceramic down stem and bowl thrown on the wheel. It's all one piece hence the carb. Chillums are pretty easy to throw once you've done it a couple thousand times....haha.

I worked at a pottery shop for 10 years and never learned how to throw. I did slipcasting, making molds, finished cast pieces, mixing the clay...everything but glazing and throwing.

So the ceramic or ceramic on ceramic thing has me thinking and doings. I haven't done much beyond thinking on the ceramic on ceramic fitting, but I think if I had a gadget of some kind...a grinding stone, maybe...that could bore out a bisque dropstem to the dimensions of the female 14mm fitting, i could at least have a stem that would accept a ground glass bowl.

I've played with some built in all ceramic stem/ bowls. I'm confident enough in the idea that I burned half a day making a mold for 1/2 stems.

Here's a pic of a new design with the built in bowl. First piece out of the mold. I'm going to carve out the mouthpiece so it flares a little more. It'll have a different base too.

cid_PART_1404694598376_zpsb4f12671.jpg

And a new steamer. First piece out of the mold.

cid_PART_1404694655870_zps763082d4.jpg

Looking good. Ceramic pipes are the best. It's a super tough market and I wish more people made them. Once people try them, they get hooked. I may be moving on to different things in the near future. My pipes have been on national news, high times videos, etc, and its still tough. Best wishes!

For me making waterpipes from body of Mother Earth (clay) is spiritual practice. And smoking from them is even more.
Those are some really impressive pieces on your site. The one that sticks out to me that I connect most with is:

"Altar de Glores Flores"
1958534_10151970554161279_1734541592_n_c-204x300.jpg

:bravo: :goodjob: :high-five: :welldone: :thumb:

Those are great. Very very nice. What's your process? Are they handbuild? Do you use a commercial body or do you take it straight from the ground yourself? Commercial kiln or backyard oven? Amazing stuff. I love the Ankh piece. I'm a crafter, you're an artist, bro. Absolutely beautiful stuff.

I met a couple of my "competitors" at Seattle Hempfest last week. Both great guys who are doing some really beautiful stuff.

This is Peace's booth. From Oregon, I believe.
295_zpseff25efd.jpg

294_zpsaaf5f447.jpg

And Cherokee Bill.
287_zps956dd839.jpg

286_zps819883c5.jpg

Both super nice guys with firm handshakes.

Here's something I brought up with both of them: glazing the insides. Cherokee Bill doesn't glaze the insides or the bowls of his zooms....he doesn't really do waterpipes. Peace glazes the insides of most of his items, as I've been doing the last few months. I'd only been doing the insides of waterpipes...to seal the piece from water. I've only recently started glazing the bowls, but I don't like to. It makes keeping a screen in a new piece next to impossible. Any of you ceramic guys have any thoughts on this?

Here's a new alien bust I've started doing. They stand about a foot tall and I'm doing them with the built in ceramic bowl/ stem or a 14mm glass on glass.
012_zps2357f450.jpg

I'm keeping one in this color for myself.
011_zps849dbbc7.jpg

Thanks OnlyOrganic

Altar Faya is specific kind of waterpipe (called kulawka - read "coolavka" - from polish tradition) that you can`t put down. It has no stand, so it has to be hold all the time (but it can stand in soft soil or sand). This is meant for keeping concentration during ceremony and navigate through innerspace into specific direction.

All my pipes are created to be stories and spiritual exercises.

Back
Top Bottom