How are ceramic pipes and bongs?

Those are great. Very very nice. What's your process? Are they handbuild? Do you use a commercial body or do you take it straight from the ground yourself? Commercial kiln or backyard oven? Amazing stuff. I love the Ankh piece. I'm a crafter, you're an artist, bro. Absolutely beautiful stuff.

Thank you
I am using clay from czech manufacturer (so it is not contaminated with unknown additions) and use electric kiln, which gives more control over glaze. Every one is handmade sculpture turned into pipe and there are no series. Everyone of them is unique piece because I am all the time milestoning spiritual story and researching specific ways of ritual functionality. So they are materializations of lessons from the Plant Teacher - and for me it works kind like channeling.

All are glazed internally and many of them have sculpted inside cenote (water chamber).

For keeping screens - just roll it into kind of cone and stick into hole ;) . Nice alien :D

i want to share this bad ass - mario bros pipe with you guys :cheer:
2014-08-26_12_14_23.jpg

Thank you
I am using clay from czech manufacturer (so it is not contaminated with unknown additions) and use electric kiln, which gives more control over glaze. Every one is handmade sculpture turned into pipe and there are no series. Everyone of them is unique piece because I am all the time milestoning spiritual story and researching specific ways of ritual functionality. So they are materializations of lessons from the Plant Teacher - and for me it works kind like channeling.

Nice alien :D

Do you get your clay directly from the CR or through a wholesaler? Our area is pretty well known for a really clean white clay called Helmer. I worked for a potter's shop that used it in a high fire body. We got literally 100s of tons of it every year and I ground it down in this mill contraption my boss made. I tried formulating a low fire casting body from it, but it went horribly wrong.

Are the sculpting on the inside visible? That's a really cool idea. Your stuff's amazing.

i want to share this bad ass - mario bros pipe with you guys :cheer:
2014-08-26_12_14_23.jpg
Nice glass pipe. That's the one sold on Etsy made-to-order by Hedcraft, right?

Do you get your clay directly from the CR or through a wholesaler? Our area is pretty well known for a really clean white clay called Helmer. I worked for a potter's shop that used it in a high fire body. We got literally 100s of tons of it every year and I ground it down in this mill contraption my boss made. I tried formulating a low fire casting body from it, but it went horribly wrong.

Are the sculpting on the inside visible? That's a really cool idea. Your stuff's amazing.

I am living in Poland and use mainly dark brown (like good charas) clay from local ceramic shop. But clay itself is from Czech.

There are thousands of different types of clay in earth but one should check ingredients in laboratory for safety purposes. And they have so many different properties for firing. But I would love to build one day some gigantic shape from raw local and fire it outdoors . But don`t have such possibility for now.

No. You can`t see inside engravings and shapes of inner chamber until the chalice is broken. But this my intention (story) of building spiritual fayas (bongs) - when body is broken, whole energy accumulated during smoking goes for healing somebody. So they are created to be broken, like mandalas. And only then you can check what is inside cenote.
Such is my poetry.

Nice Mario rose pipe

I love small ones, but element of water is important in my practice, so all are waterpipes. So my tiny fayas are like that:

fluctuator_011.jpg

equilibrium1.jpg

Ceramics make a good pipe. There are different types of ceramics, and some make better pipes than others. Most ceramic pipes sold in shops are mid-fire (earthenware). These are pipes fired to cone 6 or cone 06. They are porous, and can collect unwanted favors over time.

Then there are porcelain and stoneware pipes. These are fired to a much higher temperature, 2400 Fahrenheit. They are very dense, more so than any glass used for pipes/bongs. The surface is very 'tight' and extremely chemically resistant, so they resist build up of unwanted favors. They will clean more thoroughly than glass. They are usually a little stronger (especially stoneware pipes).

Ceramics make a good pipe. There are different types of ceramics, and some make better pipes than others. Most ceramic pipes sold in shops are mid-fire (earthenware). These are pipes fired to cone 6 or cone 06. They are porous, and can collect unwanted favors over time.

Then there are porcelain and stoneware pipes. These are fired to a much higher temperature, 2400 Fahrenheit. They are very dense, more so than any glass used for pipes/bongs. The surface is very 'tight' and extremely chemically resistant, so they resist build up of unwanted favors. They will clean more thoroughly than glass. They are usually a little stronger (especially stoneware pipes).

Speaking just for me, I glaze anywhere your mouth with touch. It seals the porousness with a glassy, glossy and smooth finish that can be simply wiped to clean.

I pretty much glaze the inside of all the pieces I do. Same reason. The glassy finish will clean just like glass and since the surface is sealed, no smell build up.

Ceramic pipe are not so smooth like glass pipes. Sometime they are not so functional as they can be more decorative purpose. I have bought couple ceramic pipes in the past but I like glass pipes better. I actually bought a ceramic for a friend for a gag and it was awesome but I wouldn't use it daily.

Every one is handmade sculpture turned into pipe and there are no series. Everyone of them is unique piece because I am all the time milestoning spiritual story and researching specific ways of ritual functionality. So they are materializations of lessons from the Plant Teacher - and for me it works kind like channeling.

I looked for your website by clicking on your username icon but wasn't able to find it.

Would you please post it for those of us who could look at your artwork?

I've been specifically searching for a Buddha piece.

Your work is very pleasing to look at!

Bubbi
. . . . .

I was almost a ceramics major, took classes all through college, was an art major but got my BA in Photography. Any way, if its a high fire clay and its been glazed, it will have been fired twice and technically becomes glass.

Back
Top Bottom