How do I determine a female sex plant from a male?

This is from one plant..the rest arent showing signs yet. This confuses me because they dont resemble sacks but tear drop shaped things that can split open

Have you looked at my earlier photograph in order to determine the sex of your cannabis plant? I believe you may be describing a calyx. It is too soon to sex your cannabis plant.

The_Early_Female_Preflower.jpg

Female_Flowers_Maturation.jpg

Yes i have seen photo after photo but what isnt spoken about much is if both male and female preflower growths start put the same as in a teardrop growth...i know what both preflowers are supposed to look like but i just cant seem to determine...like this one also does it look like simple new growth or pistols? (1st 4 photos) it seems so black and white but im guessin i was wrong these plants are 8 weeks old

yes that is still too small to tell
but it looks healthy and vibrant and that is good so keep it up
take care and good luck

i was yes
the pic was good enough but that new growth could be anything just yet
i have been fooled a few times
i am certainly not implying i am an expert but
i have seen quite a few sprouts though and cannot say for sure on your pics
of course my eyes are not what they used to be
lets just stay positive and give it a day or so

a week should be more than enough
we just want to see two tiny hairs grow out of those nodes
and that could show in a day or 2

hang in there :rollit:

This has been a very helpful thread, and I've taken some photos of my first grow to test how well I've learned and get some feedback on my sex IDs.

I started about a dozen seeds (bag seed), of which 9 germinated. I know I'm making some mistakes and figure my first grow is mainly a learning experience.

Some of these plants just aren't flowering yet and sex is indeterminate. I've made a guess in all cases, but some are probably wrong.

I think I can positively ID #2, 8 and 9 as males. I can only have 6 mature females at any time for medical use, and need to cull soon for that reason, but also to improve overall light coverage with my limited CFLs.

Can anyone suggest how long those males have before the pollen sacs open? Is it a matter of days or weeks away? I plan on getting rid of them ASAP, but I'm curious how long I really have for future reference.

TIA!

looks like you are right on all points except 7 which is definitely female
4 is confusing give it a few days
hard to tell for sure but those biggest pods look like a few days away from busting

looks like you are right on all points except 7 which is definitely female
4 is confusing give it a few days
hard to tell for sure but those biggest pods look like a few days away from busting

Thank you very much! I was confident enough about the three males that I culled them shortly after posting.

This has been a very helpful thread, and I've taken some photos of my first grow to test how well I've learned and get some feedback on my sex IDs.

I started about a dozen seeds (bag seed), of which 9 germinated. I know I'm making some mistakes and figure my first grow is mainly a learning experience.

Some of these plants just aren't flowering yet and sex is indeterminate. I've made a guess in all cases, but some are probably wrong.

I think I can positively ID #2, 8 and 9 as males. I can only have 6 mature females at any time for medical use, and need to cull soon for that reason, but also to improve overall light coverage with my limited CFLs.

Can anyone suggest how long those males have before the pollen sacs open? Is it a matter of days or weeks away? I plan on getting rid of them ASAP, but I'm curious how long I really have for future reference.

TIA!

The plants in your photographs appear to be sexed as best as currently possible. The plants that you have identified as male are male cannabis plants or hermaphrodite cannabis plants. The plants that you have currently identified as possible female cannabis plants are not showing sex currently.

Thank kjc . I was concerned but confused about not taking cuttings from a ture female / femanized plant . But I sort of answered my own question . I only want true girls in my grow . Never liked or understood cross dressing . But on the other hand if that floats your boat go for it but I don't :thumb:want you in my room . Another question for kjc if I had a ture female plant and she made a few bananas and pollinated herself would her seeds be female . ? Thanks Steve.

It would depend at what stage and under what conditions the female pollen sacks are produce. If the female cannabis plant late in flower produced banana shaped female pollen sacks there is greater chance that the resulting seed would be feminized.

It was on my last crop . Once I started smoking it I found i ffound a few seeds in my grinder . So I started to look at my bud more and I found one or two dried banana shaped sacks and near by to them the odd seed or two . Just wondering if they where worth keeping . I don't really want to start sexing plants again . I'm a lover of the female species . Life was alot easier when I could just ask a pal for clones . Thanks again kjc forgot to say the plants went passed it so called flowering time by two weeks and got a little stressed because we finally had or having a decent summer in the uk

Back
Top Bottom