How do I determine my watering schedule for container plants?

I just started a few seeds maybe ten days ago and I put them outside little did I know a huge storm was coming and it rain for 10 days straight so I made a makeshift Greenhouse with 2 cups 1 clear plastic cup on top and poked a little hole in the top so some water could get through did they get too much water I have not let any water get to them in about 3 or 4 days if you can tell the first set of leaves are turning yellow and starting to wilt I looked at them today and the first set of leaves are even more wilted here's a couple pics they are two days old if you would like I could get some today also if a plant does get too much water is there any way to save it besides letting it dry should I just go ahead and planted in a new pot of dry soil or would that disturb it too much?

20160518_181353_0_.jpg
14636776118981834523502.jpg

14636776118981834523502.jpg

******THIS IS THE POST THAT ANSWERS THE QUESTION******

The following method will give you a precise measurement on your water use that you can use to schedule your irrigation:

Get a weighing scale with metric units you can easily set your potted plant on. I recommend a scale that measures at least to the 0.1 kg. Water it thoroughly. Let any runoff subside and weigh the whole thing. If water runs out during weighing, you didn't wait long enough.

24 hours later, weigh the plant again. The difference between the two weights is how much water your plant is using plus any that is evaporating, known as evapotranspiration, each day. Remember 1 ml = 1 gram and 1 gallon = 3785 ml = 3785 g

Do this once or twice each week through the grow cycle and you can set up an irrigation schedule that's based on empirical measurements rather than subjective observations :idea: Be sure to note environmental conditions (temp, humidity, light levels) each time because any changes to these factors can cause significant changes to plant water use, as can different soil mixes or container sizes/types.

:high-five:

Back
Top Bottom