How do I start seeds for DWC bubblers?

I'm still in the parts collecting phase of my first grow, but after reading your question I added to my list a bunch of 3" net pots because I decided I was going to cut them away before sticking the clones in the 6" net pots. Like you, I'm curious to see what the experienced growers here say.
Im also in the same boat /stage of le scheme ill be using 2 mars 480 w reflector led's amd will be going with a really simple x1 6 gal bucket w/12" net pot, d.w.c. set up for a singular auto flower seed i came across its early girl from crop king this is the trial run/ something to do/smoke until i have everything else together and pulling my 2nd crop from the other 6 buckets that will house the same set up . I got a big ass rain barrel that i will have for a reservoir too . and also a small cloner, same set up w/6 sites for 1" net pots with neoprene collars but to you're question i would pot a 1/2 " rock wool layer on the bottom of you're net pot it will act as a cushion. :)

I quit using Rockwool insulation as hydroponic media over ten years ago. If I know I'll be growing via DWC, I usually (but not always) start seeds in perlite. It's a simple matter to wash it off of a seedling's roots, and if there are a few pieces remaining, well, I've never found that to be an issue with either mag-drive aquarium power heads or air pumps and 'stones. Plus, starting off in (much) smaller containers than the plants will eventually end up in means that they occupy less space, I don't have to deal with large reservoirs, I can use a cheaper-to-operate light to cover them instead of one sized to illuminate the entire grow space, etc.

Should I just flush my bucket then? and fill with nuteless water?
No. I give mine nutes on day one. Roots aren’t in water yet but I’ve got 10 10 10 in there. When roots touch water it’s 40 10 40

’ll be starting a new growth in a week or two and will document how I do it (not saying it’s the right way or that I will even succeed on the first try, but I will document it anyway).

I’m going to use rapid rooters and follow these steps:
  1. Put the seed in a shot glass with a little H2O2 and tap water
  2. Wait for the seed to sink and give it 24 hours
  3. Soak rapid rooters in PH 5.8 water and squeeze out excess moisture
  4. Place seeds in rapid rooters
  5. Place rapid rooters in the seedling tray on top of the heating mat
  6. When seedlings emerge, turn on 125w CFL fixture
  7. Grow seedlings under 125w CFL fixture until roots are out of the rapid rooter
  8. Place rapid rooters in my DWC system and top feed with PH’d water until I see roots down into the reservoir taking up water
That’s my plan to avoid moving the plants around very much and try to keep it as simple as possible.

Back
Top Bottom