How I fixed my heat issues in a 4x4 tent: Awesome temp control from my phone anywhere I am!

HomeGrown007

420 Member
I hope this helps some of yas out

Ok heres what I did
Purchase a portable A/C with remote control $250.00
Purchase Sensibo Wifi AC remote $120.00

The Sensibo remote sensor allows you to put the sensor into the tent and control the Ac from your phone, set schedules and alerts. It also gives you 24hr graphs of humidity and temps.

I had to tape the sensor to my tent window since it is an IR remote and needs a line of sight to the AC. but see how I did this in pic #2

The AC you need to build a box out of cardboard and tape it up with AC duct tape put it over the vents of the AC unit and pump direct to the tent from outside like I did in pic #1

See the sensbo App pics 4 - 5 and 6 it is accessible on phone app and desktop app..
All kinds of customization and calibration options.

Check on everything and control it all from your phone no matter where you are

Attachments

• 20190202_015439.jpg
    20190202_015439.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 20190202_015545.jpg
    20190202_015545.jpg
    615.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 20190202_020515.jpg
    20190202_020515.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 20190202_020552.jpg
    20190202_020552.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot_20190202-015632.png
    Screenshot_20190202-015632.png
    269.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Screenshot_20190202-020358.png
    Screenshot_20190202-020358.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 133
Wow, I hate those portable air conditioner units. They're expensive (for what they are), and tend to not perform up to their ratings by a fair margin (although the government might have tightened the regulations on "overly optimistic" company BTU ratings in the past couple of years, IDK). Especially the single-hose units.

However, if it isn't physically possible to install a window or through-the-wall a/c unit in the grow space (or the room it's in, or one directly beside it), then you have to do what you have to do, I suppose (I'm assuming, due to the fact that you even considered the portable a/c product, that a mini-split a/c is not in the budget (it's certainly not in mine, unfortunately).

The rest of the stuff you mentioned seems cool. On the other hand, I generally just set my (window) a/c unit's controls and forget about the thing when I need to use it and can afford to do so. It might help with spotting an issue before you would normally return to the grow and notice it - but $120 just for the remote? We used to buy infrared "blasters" for around $15 to $20 and connect them to our computers, lol. But if you do not have a computer (other than your cell phone), then this is, of course, not an option, and you wouldn't have the option to purchase a cheap temperature/humidity sensor and connect that to your computer.

That setup is too rich for me, and I have the window unit relatively close to my grow area - but I'm sure that there will be some who can afford the equipment and have a use for it. Thank you for posting the information!

TourturedSoul:- a split unit wasnt an option , just wanted to use a spare bedroom for a small grow without any modifications to the room. I like having the app to be able to make adjustments and check on the temps and humidity threw out the day no matter where I am.

TurboBucket:- I dont know much about dew point and so far havent had any issues that I can tell, I know it has something to do with temp in which air is saturated and would make humidity 100%. I only know that when lights are off my humidity jumps up when the ac stops and it drops when ac is on, but dehumidifier keeps it all in check.

Is there something im missing about dew point that I should be aware of or research further?

Thanks

Way to solve a problem. That's half the fun in growing. Now, you'l look at it, think about it, read about it, tweak it, and find the best method that works for you.

I've used those portables before. Not the cheapest, but cheap and effective aren't mutually exclusive.

Adapt. Overcome. Improvise.

MassMed: - Exactly, setting up my perpetual setup (2x6 closet for veg and clones and a 4x4 tent for flower) and coming across problems that smoking a bowl and releasing that creativness to figure out a solution was half the fun... Hopefully i can put the portable AC in storage once my quantum board 620 comes next week and pull the HPS out of the tent along with all the heat from it.

Now that I think of it... those portables aren't cheap,, or that effective.. but, they do get the job done in situations. And ultimately, mission accomplishment is number one..... but, getting there can be an expensive PIA....

Still better then buying it from someone. And, it's way more fun growing it ;)

That quantum board should be fun.... enjoy!

If the temperature of your cardboard plenum drops below the dew point of the room it will sweat like a cold drink on a counter top.

Not saying it will be a problem but depending on your ambient conditions it could be.

Also it's strongly discouraged by manufacturers to extend the waste heat vents for a couple of reasons. The first you already noticed, that aluminum ducting should only be warm at best, your condenser coil should operate between 100-120°f depending on refrigerant and ambient temp. Longer duct slows the air down and doesn't allow the unit to effectively remove heat from the system. Your booster fan is helping but may not be enough. The second reason is most units drain the water from the evaporator coil into a tray that is then wicked into the waste heat stream. If your extended run cools off enough before the end the water will condense and accumulate. The other issue folks run into with the portables is the drain pan itself, if there's too much moisture in the air the pan fills up before the air is cooled down and the unit will stop cooling to try and evaporate some of that water out through the waste heat stream. If they have a drain tap I always suggest using it if you can.

I have no idea what your ambient conditions are like so none of these may effect you or maybe they all will.

The major design flaw with portable units is they constantly exhaust previously conditioned air during the run cycle creating negative draft bringing in warm outside air.

If a home has Central air you can set the portable up to transfer heat to your outdoor condenser by dumping the waste stream into the duct system or even an adjacent room. That's what I'm trying to do with mine this summer

Ok I get what your saying a little better now... I havent had any condensation on the box I built around the vent or the duct going into the tent yet, but I will keep an eye out for it.

The exhaust I added about 4 feet to the duct that came with the unit to reach my ceiling and have it venting into the attic with an inline fan assisting the movement of the air if thast makes sense. when touching the exhaust duct coming from the rear of the AC unit going to the attic it feels room temperature, not really warm and definitely not hot

Back
Top Bottom