How Much will it Cost to Run my Light?

For 30.05(roughly) more a month how many plants should I be growing?

unless you both are paying the exact same amount per kilowatthour, the two cannot be compared....

To get the operating cost per hour for a light, take the lights combined wattage, and divide it by 1000 to get the kilowatts used. Then multiply that number by the amount your electric company charges per kilowatt hour. HID lights will use the number of watts it emits per hour, ie; 600w system will use 600 watts per hour (regardless of spectrum).
(light wattage output / 1000) x electricity cost per kilowatt hour = Operating cost per hour
operating cost per hour x hours used per month = Operating cost per month

I can count on $50 per 1000 watts of light. That includes all fans to control temps.

Just want to throw my experience in there and how I maximized my resources.

I was using a 600w MH for veg @ 24/0 then I would switch to 12/12 for flower. During veg, I would be hit with an extra $40 a month on my bill which is a pretty decent sized difference, so I bought myself a 105W T5 for vegging, and just keep the HID on 12/12. This dropped the HID power consumption in half, to $20 a month, and the T5 only runs me about $8 a month. I'm using less power and saving money, yet I am able to run a perpetual crop now and harvest every 2 weeks. So if you compare the amount of bud harvested in contrast to the amount of money spent on energy, it is much more efficient than how I was doing it before. The T5 only ran me $100 so it's already paid itself off with the first harvest.

They definitely don't grow as fast with the T5, but with clones, it kind of has a nice time schedule. I'm always ready to put another couple plants in flower each harvest.

go green and buy some solar panels. the money you save on electricity will pay for the solar panels in time. especially when youre growing.

go green and buy some solar panels. the money you save on electricity will pay for the solar panels in time. especially when youre growing.

Solar is not as green as you and others may think.

Not only are very toxic chemicals (that have to be disposed of) used in the manufacture of solar panels, many of the panels themselves contain lead and cadmium. The Silicone Valley Toxics Coalition estimates that in the coming years, 1.5 billion pounds of solar panel waste that contains 2 million pounds of lead and 600,000 pounds of cadmium will be disposed of in California alone.

Not exactly green imho.....

so .1% of lead and .03% cadium are used for every pound of other waste material used.

lead is toxic and cadmium is too but.
Cadmium telluride (CdTe) is a crystalline compound formed from cadmium and tellurium. It is used as an infrared optical window and a solar cell material. It is usually sandwiched with cadmium sulfide to form a p-n junction photovoltaic solar cell. Typically, CdTe cells use a n-i-p structure.
Cadmium telluride is toxic if ingested, if its dust is inhaled, or if it is handled improperly (i.e. without appropriate gloves and other safety precautions). Once properly and securely captured and encapsulated, CdTe used in manufacturing processes may be rendered harmless. CdTe appears to be less toxic than elemental cadmium, at least in terms of acute exposure.[4]

there are studies being done on the long term effects of CdTe and they found:
Researchers from the U.S. Department of Energy's Brookhaven National Laboratory have found that large-scale use of CdTe PV modules does not present any risks to health and the environment, and recycling the modules at the end of their useful life completely resolves any environmental concerns. During their operation, these modules do not produce any pollutants, and furthermore, by displacing fossil fuels, they offer great environmental benefits. CdTe PV modules appear to be more environmentally friendly than all other current uses of Cd.[7]

WIKIPEDIA.

as for lead --- Lead-based semiconductors, such as lead telluride, lead selenide and lead antimonide are finding applications in photovoltaic (solar energy) cells and infrared detectors.[36]

these compounds are naturally found as minerals. so to say that they these compounds are very toxic is not correct. in a similar way that pure sodium will burn your skin severely but NaCl (table salt) is perfectly safe for consumption.

did you ignore all the data i just presented to you? if you didnt understand most of it ok but i thought youd at least be able to understand the sodium and table salt senario.

The disposal and long term safety of cadmium telluride is a known issue in the large scale commercialization of cadmium telluride solar panels. Serious efforts have been made to understand and overcome these issues. A document hosted by the U.S. National Institutes of Health[6] dated 2003 discloses that:

Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) are nominating Cadmium Telluride (CdTe) for inclusion in the National Toxicology Program (NTP). This nomination is strongly supported by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) and First Solar Inc. The material has the potential for widespread applications in photovoltaic energy generation that will involve extensive human interfaces. Hence, we consider that a definitive toxicological study of the effects of long-term exposure to CdTe is a necessity.

Wow..I can copy and paste from Wikipedia too!

if you didnt understand most of it ok but i thought youd at least be able to understand the sodium and table salt senario.

With 35 years in the Power Generation field, I think I caught the jist of it.....

even from the information you posted you can agree that it is being studied. meaning its not outright toxic. for instance you dont have to study arsenic to know its toxic.

i never said these compounds were safe but i did not jump to the conclusion that they were very toxic either.

toxic is a relative term (as everything is relative). water is toxic to humans if too much is consumed. so i would make the assumption that the toxic effects these compounds have on the environment do not out weigh its benefits (by a long shot) from turning away from coal and fossil fuels.

so i would make the assumption that the toxic effects these compounds have on the environment do not out weigh its benefits (by a long shot) from turning away from coal and fossil fuels.

I would have to agree.

My intent was to illuminate the fact that solar is not as "green" as many would think.

I have a huge distaste for the whole "green" movement, as much of it is based in ignorance.

People think electric cars are green too.

by electric cars not being green do you mean how they use fossil fuels to power them?

Fossil fuels to generate electricity.

Hydrogen Fuel Cell makes much more sense, imho.

i dont know much about hydrogen fuel but dont you need electricty or energy to break the bond with oxygen in water to form ozone (O3) and hydrogen (H2)?

yes that is how hydrogen reacts in an hydrogen car engine.

but to get the hydrogen ---Hydrogen production is the industrial method for generating hydrogen. Currently the dominant technology for direct production is steam reforming from hydrocarbons. Hydrogen is also produced as a byproduct of other processes and managed with hydrogen pinch[1]. Many other methods are known including electrolysis and thermolysis. The discovery and development of less expensive methods of production of bulk hydrogen is relevant to the establishment of a hydrogen economy.[2]

so you are still using fossil fuels to generate the energy needed to make hydrogen.

this is how i see it --- we have a limited supply of oil and it is running out quicker than ever. if we do not put the infrastructure in place now for renewable energy (solar, wind) then we may not have enough oil to sufficiently produce enough to be completely green dependant around the world.

pretend global warming doesnt exist as so many republicans like to believe. the oil is still going to run out thats not debatable. so why are alternate energy sources not being fiercely applied. republicans love to talk about national defense --- well you cant defend much when you have nothing to rely on but your legs and fists.

I would have to agree.

My intent was to illuminate the fact that solar is not as "green" as many would think.

I have a huge distaste for the whole "green" movement, as much of it is based in ignorance.

People think electric cars are green too.

wanted to give you some rep but i must spread it around first. Couldn't have said it better.

Back
Top Bottom