LED vs HPS cost differential

Hi biggrowhouse

There is no riddle. Not really. The LED that outperforms HID has yet to be invented.

Best.
There are folks on this site & other sites that see it quite differently. Especially those folks soliciting lights from manufacturer . You & I know that if anyone wants them leds to work, it's the grower doing a journal for a company light. Now they're mixing in cfls and hids in the middle of grows, and still can't compete.Even the latest led technology can't compete, and for those trying to say they're not that concerned with GPW, or the weed tastes better or is more potent with leds, I say prove it. I think everyone who grows mj is concerned with GPW ?? I grow for my wife, and only a few plants at once, but I can't understand why a person who grows for a living, would invest in something unproven. I do believe leds are good veg lights, develops strong, compact plants, but when it's time to shine, it's hid for me . proven over & over & over again !! I went to buy 1000W hid, and owner of hydro store talked me out of it. Sold me the Nanalux 630W lec cmh , he say's it will take the place of 1000W and I'm hoping he's correct? Can't find any grow journals using the 630w lec ??

I've heard nothing but good things about the new CMHs, but I don't know of a grower using one right now.

As I recall, the spectrum is more PAR efficient? I don' think it could compete with a Gavita DE - those efficiency numbers are hard to beat. :hmmmm:

I can see it matching a traditional 1000W hps though. :thumb:

What's the lowest wattage hps you'd use? I have a cupboard fit for a couple of plants. Im using cfl at the moment but that's obviously not doing the job. Trying to decide wether I want led or hps. Can you stack low wattage hps like 70watts? Or do you have to go all out for a 600w+ ballast

Jimdogggy

What's the lowest wattage hps you'd use? I have a cupboard fit for a couple of plants. Im using cfl at the moment but that's obviously not doing the job. Trying to decide wether I want led or hps. Can you stack low wattage hps like 70watts? Or do you have to go all out for a 600w+ ballast

Jimdogggy

Nope. Small hps are terribly inefficient. The most efficient size is the 600, with the 1000 following that. Bulb brand makes a big difference in the 1000 watt size, not so much in the 600.

I ran my first crop under a 600 watt hps in a 4x4 with a generic ballast and bulb and did quite well.

In a smaller space with a 600, you'll have a lot of heat to dump though.

Nope. Small hps are terribly inefficient. The most efficient size is the 600, with the 1000 following that. Bulb brand makes a big difference in the 1000 watt size, not so much in the 600.

I ran my first crop under a 600 watt hps in a 4x4 with a generic ballast and bulb and did quite well.

In a smaller space with a 600, you'll have a lot of heat to dump though.
That's my point I'd have to order off the internet (no suppliers where I am so smaller is alot cheaper) and I only have limited space 1800h, 600w, 400d mm. After the stretch from flower it doesn't leave alot of space

Jimdogggy

That's my point I'd have to order off the internet (no suppliers where I am so smaller is alot cheaper) and I only have limited space 1800h, 600w, 400d mm. After the stretch from flower it doesn't leave alot of space

Jimdogggy

Ah, but in a space that small you only need about 150 watts. That isn't even 3 square feet. Actually, that's a pretty nice space you have. It gives as much height as you should ever need for the floor area it covers. Almost all my plants have been that size, about 1/4 square meter, and I easily kept them under a meter - most were 600-800mm.

One of Mars-Hydro's 300 watt 5x60 panels would be perfect for your space. They draw 140 watts, and have been working well for lots of members. Does 'mazon or the 'bay ship to your area? You can get them from either site, and they're not expensive - they used to be around $80 USD, shipped?

I've heard nothing but good things about the new CMHs, but I don't know of a grower using one right now.

As I recall, the spectrum is more PAR efficient? I don' think it could compete with a Gavita DE - those efficiency numbers are hard to beat. :hmmmm:

I can see it matching a traditional 1000W hps though. :thumb:
Graytail, that would be great !! Hope you're right, as that's what the guy that sold it to me, told me !! The mfg. (nanalux) had him try one of the 630s and he had been using a regular 1000w eye hortilux, and he increased his yield, and I have no reason to not believe him . I got the mixed spectrum 1 3100k and 1 4200k. I probably should have got two 3100ks, but time will tell. So if I can save a third on my elec bill, that's a good deal !! I'll let you know in 5 weeks !!

Nope. Small hps are terribly inefficient.

Additionally, lower-wattage HPS have less ability to penetrate into a canopy. In a space which has little height, that is not so much an issue, I suppose.

I only have limited space 1800h, 600w, 400d mm. After the stretch from flower it doesn't leave alot of space

Jimdogggy

So about 23.6"W x 15.75"D and 71" high? Roughly 2.58 square feet. Here is an old "pictorial journal" thread by Chicago Joe. He used a 150-watt HPS in a space that was a little larger than the light was suited for (IMHO) and was happy. I would expect you to be happier ;) .
150W HPS - 18 pics - 9 weeks flower

BtW, this is NOT my way of saying "that is the light that you should be using," lol. I just happened to remember that thread and posted it as an example of what someone else did with a comparable (but somewhat larger) space using such a light. Perhaps you can find other threads about small-space grows and use them to get a feel for what kind of performance you can reasonably expect out of different lighting (et cetera) setups.

Back
Top Bottom