How Much will it Cost to Run my Light?

I switched to GLR. Love it. Wish my electric rates were as low as most of you. We have a tier system. 4 different rates. The more you use, the more you pay. Crappy thing is you can barely run a small apartment and keep it under the 4th tier. Forget about growing i you want to stay out of tier 4. Once you're in tier 4 it something like 35 cents/khr. F'ing bastards. I've been buying solar cells and am making a DIY solar electric system to get off the grid. I'm so sick of making other people rich.

~Heirloom

At a long shot, What about looping Your lights with Solar panels? I'm sure you'd be able to make a little saving per year by doing this? Correct me if im wrong and it may be a silly idea, but Could it work??

At a long shot, What about looping Your lights with Solar panels? I'm sure you'd be able to make a little saving per year by doing this? Correct me if im wrong and it may be a silly idea, but Could it work??

I was thinking same thing, but if you used small panels in the room to power fans, pump, etc? It's interesting to see how that may work?

I went to my power provider website, mine is 7.25 cents. 1000 watt on an 18 hour cycle is 30.00monthly. I have a wireless house electric use monitor I bought at Home Depot. I will see it real time once my light comes in. The power meter is a black and decker, it was around fifty bucks I think. One piece mounts on electric meter, the digital screen is wireless and sits in my kitchen. Pretty cool actually.

hi, i'm lost, but need to ask what someone thinks about 250 watt cfl's cause that's what im gonna have to go with for veg and flower. the economy.
thanks for any words of wisdom.:morenutes:
I wouldn't use them for flower. You really should double the lighting when flowering. If its the only choice, have you looked into T-5 lights? Less heat and engery usage and would be better for both veg n flower.

I was thinking same thing, but if you used small panels in the room to power fans, pump, etc? It's interesting to see how that may work?
Solar panels produce DC voltage so you would have to use a converter or find fans and such than run off DC. Now add in how much you'll use and you have to have x amount of power/watts available to run the equipment.

I went to my power provider website, mine is 7.25 cents. 1000 watt on an 18 hour cycle is 30.00monthly. I have a wireless house electric use monitor I bought at Home Depot. I will see it real time once my light comes in. The power meter is a black and decker, it was around fifty bucks I think. One piece mounts on electric meter, the digital screen is wireless and sits in my kitchen. Pretty cool actually.

The rates are usually in tiers. First tier = 7.25 per kilowatt hour. Second tier = 13.75 per kilowatt hour. Third tier = 20.22 per kilowatt hour. The tiers are framed by kilowatt hour usage. 1-100 kwh 1st tier. 101-200 2nd tier. 201 and up is third tier.
All things included, lights, fans, humidifier, a/c, you could be talking about 200+ a month for two 1000 watt fixtures and other stuff mentioned. Trust me, I know.

8.2 cents here. Was just fishing around to see if I can calculate what to expect when I get up and running. Great thread so far BTW. Anyways, I am gonna get an iPOWER 400w MH/HPS set, and the digital ballast draws 120V/8.6A and the power factor is 0.99. All that multiplied equals 1021.68 watts. Does that add onto the already 400 watts per hour, or is that a daily average? I don't understand how much additional usage the ballast will draw.

Any added feedback?

6.1 cents here, this town has it's own dam.

I feel sorry for some of you poor bastards paying as much as you do.

My bills run about $350/month while in full production.

I know a guy on PGE that's paying $700+/month using the same wattage and he is only a few miles away.

If at all possible, I'd love to relocate to some place near a stream or other continual potential power source. Nothing beats off the grid living.

Try running your lights during non peak hours for your electric company. My electric company will charge me 8 cents during non peak hours and 22 cents during peak hours. Peak hours are run between 5 pm and 10 pm. So I start my plants morning at 11 pm and turn the lights off at 5pm.

Hey guys, what up :) ?
I'm using a 400W grow light and normal grow equipment are going. I wanted to ask, when does your electricity bill get suspicious? How much further can I expand without worrying about huge bills that draw attention?

Back
Top Bottom