How to dispense nutes out of 2.5 gal container?

simondetroit

I just bought all of my nutes for my aero grow. I decided to go with 2.5 gallons of most of the stuff I need. Now I'm stuck here wondering what is the best way to get my nutes out of these big (hard to measure) containers and not spill them while measuring. Instead of pouring everything inyo smaller containers I was hoping someone knew of a pump or someTHing I could screw onto the bottle?:peace::thanks:

Get a turkey baster !! Or a large (veternarian type) syringe :yummy:

Are you wanting something like a pump at a gas station (large main tank, small pump, hose to dispense where needed)?

A very small water pump would work. 1GPM would be more than enough...how long it takes your kitchen faucet to fill a 1 gallon jug is a good way to get an idea of flow rate required. Not sure where to get one that small though. From there you could simply drill a hole low in the side of the container, insert a threaded bushing (don't forget the silicon or something to seal around the bushing), a nipple (don't forget the teflon tape), and the hose. Be careful with a valve on the hose, you will need a return line back to the container to relieve the pressure (head) on the output of the pump if you go this route...if you don't alleviate that pressure you will burn up your pump. Note: My specialty is electrical but the above is what I think you will need based on previous experience at work with mechanical engineers and a little bit of personal interest on the side. Confirm my suggestions first or proceed at your own risk ;)

However a simpler route would be to put the containers on a shelf or table at whatever height you deem appropriate and replace the cap with a faucet and valve. You may need to do a tiny bit of custom fabrication in case the container thread size or something is not standard but should be easy to rig up. This way you can just put your measuring device under the faucet/spigot/whatever, open the valve, and turn it off when you're finished.

That sounds to be the easiest and cheapest route to go.

At work we have the spigots that fit on the tops of jugs (5 gallon in my case), and they work fine. However, we are measuring 1-2 cups at a time and they fill up REALLY fast.

I think for nutes you would do better with something like the turkey baster since you would be dealing with much smaller amounts.

I would bet though, that in the end, you will just go to smaller containers for ease of use.:surf:

DD

Are you wanting something like a pump at a gas station (large main tank, small pump, hose to dispense where needed)?

A very small water pump would work. 1GPM would be more than enough...how long it takes your kitchen faucet to fill a 1 gallon jug is a good way to get an idea of flow rate required. Not sure where to get one that small though. From there you could simply drill a hole low in the side of the container, insert a threaded bushing (don't forget the silicon or something to seal around the bushing), a nipple (don't forget the teflon tape), and the hose. Be careful with a valve on the hose, you will need a return line back to the container to relieve the pressure (head) on the output of the pump if you go this route...if you don't alleviate that pressure you will burn up your pump. Note: My specialty is electrical but the above is what I think you will need based on previous experience at work with mechanical engineers and a little bit of personal interest on the side. Confirm my suggestions first or proceed at your own risk ;)

However a simpler route would be to put the containers on a shelf or table at whatever height you deem appropriate and replace the cap with a faucet and valve. You may need to do a tiny bit of custom fabrication in case the container thread size or something is not standard but should be easy to rig up. This way you can just put your measuring device under the faucet/spigot/whatever,be looking for someth open the valve, and turn it off when you're finished.[/Qing UOTE]

Thanks for the ideas. Since im going to be measuring out Nutes for an 18 gal. resevoir I'll be looking for something that puts out small amounts at a time. The more I think about it, I might be better off just pouring the 2.5 gal into an smaller container or possibly even a spray bottle and dispense/measure from there? Thanks Again:peace:

Thats what I use and it works excellent. As you get the levels down on your nute jugs just pickup some small vynl tubing to get the syringe to the bottom. And be sure to shake your jugs up some before you use the syringe.

However a simpler route would be to put the containers on a shelf or table at whatever height you deem appropriate and replace the cap with a faucet and valve. You may need to do a tiny bit of custom fabrication in case the container thread size or something is not standard but should be easy to rig up. This way you can just put your measuring device under the faucet/spigot/whatever,be looking for someth open the valve, and turn it off when you're finished.[/Qing UOTE]

Thanks for the ideas. Since im going to be measuring out Nutes for an 18 gal. resevoir I'll be looking for something that puts out small amounts at a time. The more I think about it, I might be better off just pouring the 2.5 gal into an smaller container or possibly even a spray bottle and dispense/measure from there? Thanks Again:peace:

Do a google search for 32oz twin-neck bottle. This is what you are looking for :
B132.jpg

Just get a funnel and fill it up from you big bottle once in a while and you are on easy no mess street.

Allows you to measure 5ml, 15ml, 30ml, 1/2 oz , 1oz

I bought a bunch and use for all sort of nutes, especially for measuring out my pH up and down.

Do a google search for 32oz twin-neck bottle. This is what you are looking for :
B132.jpg

Just get a funnel and fill it up from you big bottle once in a while and you are on easy no mess street.

Allows you to measure 5ml, 15ml, 30ml, 1/2 oz , 1oz

I bought a bunch and use for all sort of nutes, especially for measuring out my pH up and down.

Thanks, those look like a great solution. :peace::thanks:

Back
Top Bottom