How to get consistent bowls?

jrutherford

420 Member
I'm a fairly sensitive medical user, and have been vaping 100-150mg of dry herb daily for about 18 months. I'm still having trouble with consistency. Sometimes I get exactly the smooth, dreamy anxiety-reducing high I’m looking for, and other times I get an unpleasant racy experience or, alternatively, I get a feeling like the dose was too low. Can anyone look at what I'm doing and suggest what I might be missing?

I typically grind a medical batch (always the same strain purchased from NETA) on a 4 piece grinder once a week or so. Then each day I scoop out a bit with a metal spoon. I'll try to get an even mix of the bigger leafier bits and the smaller bits but this is very subjective. I weigh the bowl on milligram scale - usually between 100-120mg. Then I preheat my Mighty at 375F and once heated, pour in herb from the weighing paper. Typically puff until the taste changes. About 30 minutes later if I didn't get the effect I was looking for, I'll re-up another 30mg or so. I take notes on nearly every session.

What I hate about this is that I can't actually measure the potency of each bowl, and there are so many variables at play. I try to select a few different nugs from the bottle before grinding. I try to turn over the ground herb a few times to evenly distribute things. But I can't help but think that maybe the smaller leafy bits are more potent than the courser bits but I can't figure out how to control for that. Sometimes I use a kief shovel to make sure I get an even blend of sizes. When I'm near the end of the grind, I'll often just save off the result somewhere else and grind fresh because I suspect what is left over must be much higher potency (surely not all of the kief is too small to fall through..?) But after a year+ of doing this I still can't get to the point where I can confidently get the same effect every time.

I've read extensively the notes from @SweetSue and others but no one seems to have any direct advice on dry herb consistency.

Much thanks in advance for guidance!

I'm a fairly sensitive medical user, and have been vaping 100-150mg of dry herb daily for about 18 months. I'm still having trouble with consistency. Sometimes I get exactly the smooth, dreamy anxiety-reducing high I’m looking for, and other times I get an unpleasant racy experience or, alternatively, I get a feeling like the dose was too low. Can anyone look at what I'm doing and suggest what I might be missing?

I typically grind a medical batch (always the same strain purchased from NETA) on a 4 piece grinder once a week or so. Then each day I scoop out a bit with a metal spoon. I'll try to get an even mix of the bigger leafier bits and the smaller bits but this is very subjective. I weigh the bowl on milligram scale - usually between 100-120mg. Then I preheat my Mighty at 375F and once heated, pour in herb from the weighing paper. Typically puff until the taste changes. About 30 minutes later if I didn't get the effect I was looking for, I'll re-up another 30mg or so. I take notes on nearly every session.

What I hate about this is that I can't actually measure the potency of each bowl, and there are so many variables at play. I try to select a few different nugs from the bottle before grinding. I try to turn over the ground herb a few times to evenly distribute things. But I can't help but think that maybe the smaller leafy bits are more potent than the courser bits but I can't figure out how to control for that. Sometimes I use a kief shovel to make sure I get an even blend of sizes. When I'm near the end of the grind, I'll often just save off the result somewhere else and grind fresh because I suspect what is left over must be much higher potency (surely not all of the kief is too small to fall through..?) But after a year+ of doing this I still can't get to the point where I can confidently get the same effect every time.

I've read extensively the notes from @SweetSue and others but no one seems to have any direct advice on dry herb consistency.

Much thanks in advance for guidance!

Hey bud! Welcome to the forum :high-five:
I am by no means a doctor but I've been smoking for 12+ years now so I have a little experience with the green goodness.
Basically your high depends on your tolerance to the weed. The more you smoke = the higher your tolerance = needing to smoke more bud for the same effect.

I find that my high depends on what I've eaten that day, how much I've smoked the day before, or even if I don't smoke in the morning and then I smoke at night and 1 doob does a better job than the 5 I've smoked through the day.

Consistency is a bitch when it comes to weed. That's why you find a lot of people enforcing "breaks" from smoking, to help decrease their tolerance to the cannabis.

My suggestion to you is to still keep an eye and measure what you're smoking, but also then ponder on maybe what you've done/slept/eaten on the days you're less high that differs from when you were at the level you want.

But just smoke until you're at the point you need to be at. Weed is a beautiful thing that helps me better than any medication I've been prescribed by doctors. It's just a shame that I'm made a criminal just because I don't want to be anxious or depressed or manically hyper

" The more you smoke = the higher your tolerance = needing to smoke more bud for the same effect. " Totally agree to you. my history of smoking, generally smoking, not weed, began with regular cigarettes. then it became a habit, smoking a pack a day, acquiring iqos, juul, myle, and then I bought myself Khan Dry Herb Vaporizer at migvapor and started smoking weed.

Back
Top Bottom