How to keep buds from drying out without getting mold?

asking79

I want to hear what mthods everyone uses to keep their stash from drying out without growing mold?

Do you use baggies, jars or what to keep your stash?
What do you use to keep it from drying out, but without it growing mold?
How long can you keep it that way?

I don't see enough info about this and I've heard several methods which I've tried, I either get too much moisture, it grows mold (which can be dangerous) or it just doesn't work. Too many methods to name them, so what is your method? And I don't want to hear, use it all before it dries out!!

This should be a good discussion! :passitleft:

I got a jar from 420 Science - Home of 420 Jars and 420 Scope that Im so happy with. It has a vacum seal, and keeps buds fresh. They have all kinds of jars and designs. The jars don't cost much and you get it in about 5 days. They also sent me a bunch of free stuff, like some stickers, bumber stickers, and some pipe wipes.

Thanks Vexer, I'll have to check that out!

On the jar thing though, I've tried that and found that it only works for a small amount of time. That's using Mason jars, self sealing jars used for canning. That's what I always heard to use. I'm not seeming to have luck with that though. Other people have told me to throw in a pice of an apple peel, an orange peel, a small piece of lettuce, etc, etc, etc, but those all bring on mold or can cause mold and that is not good at all. You don't want to smoke moldy buds! There are certain types of mold that if you get the spores in your lungs like sucking through a bowl or a joint it can cause mold growth in your lungs which can lead to a suffocating death which would suck!

I even tried a humidor for cigars and that was worse than anything ever when it comes to moldy buds! I've had a little luck with the piece of lettuce and the apple peel, but the flavor is nasty afterwards and I cherish the flavors!

You have to hang them or put them in paper bags before they go into the jars. Let them hang dry until the stem snaps. Then they go into the jars, and the jars have to be burped at least once a day sometimes more.. here read this.
How do I cure my harvest with glass canning jars?

I got a jar from 420 Jars that Im so happy with. It has a vacum seal, and keeps buds fresh. They have all kinds of jars and designs. The jars don't cost much and you get it in about 5 days. They also sent me a bunch of free stuff, like some stickers, bumber stickers, and some pipe wipes.

thanks, just bought 4 420 jars for 20$

You have to hang them or put them in paper bags before they go into the jars. Let them hang dry until the stem snaps. Then they go into the jars, and the jars have to be burped at least once a day sometimes more.. here read this.
How do I cure my harvest with glass canning jars?

No, I just meant your stash, not harvest and cure, just keeping your stash good. Thanks though and stay Irie!

For the rest of you thank you. I will look into the 420 jars!

I wouldn't suggest putting anything in with the bud such as orange peels. If there is even a little bit of moisture in that jar there is a chance it will mold, so make sure your jars are fully dry before putting bud in em.

Also, Idk if this is true, but I've heard if you put em in a air tight jar then stash em in a cedar box they stay fresh and dry. Something to do with the cedar but Im not to sure how it works. Anyone know if this is true???

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it either. I've tried it and it can work, but will eventually lead to mold, and always leads to a harsh smoke with a nasty flavor. If you do try it, do it as I did and only try just a little bit of your stash because it will ruin your whole batch!

Yea, the orange peel thing is only for buds that are too dry and crumbly. And only for a short time, like a couple of hours.

That's actually what I am talking about, how to moisten up overly dry buds and prevent buds from overdrying.

ive seen sum1 put one of those little sacks that they use to keep the tobacco fresh inside their baggy with about half ounce. says it keeps it fresh

Back
Top Bottom