How to Select the Right Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light for Your Specific Gardening Needs

Re: How to Select the Right Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light for Your Specific Gardening Nee

This part of your response is certainly a concern. Should I get back on the fence?? :ganjamon:

1. What are your thoughts on using 3-900w MII as opposed to 2-1600w? Although the capitalization cost per watt is slightly higher (.372/900w vs. .354/1600), I'm thinking the flexibility of having 3 lights would be worth it.

2. Can a dimming switch be utilized on Mars II to save electricity if/ when needed?

3 900's may be the way to go. The advantage of multiple lights is god forbid you get some sort of failure, you are not completely out of business. 3 lights are better then 2 but 2 or better then none!!! :peace:

Re: How to Select the Right Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light for Your Specific Gardening Nee

I liked the write up and learned a few things also
I'm not an electrical engineer, but I do have 40yrs experience with electrical equipment and devices.

I have a thought about the Watts per sq ft calculation. If you have a 700w rated unit it uses 300w on 220v 50hz and 380 on 110v60hz on the plate. Which dictates that on high voltage the power drivers can make their output requirements while USING less current (watts). As with most electrical devices they are more efficient on high voltage. That being said then wont the 9880 lux number be consistent. The 700w rating stays because the Leds are getting the same supply from the drivers as per design. The difference between is 80w making a dramatic difference in the sizing.

You are correct sir.
700 watts is the total potential wattage of the LED diodes. This number will always be the same.
Diodes must be driven at about 40% to 55% of their potential, no higher. If the diodes are driven higher than 50 to 60% they will degrade very quickly.
The power required to drive the diodes at approximately 50% of their calculated overall potential is where the 300 watt @ 220v / 50hz and 380 watt @ 110v / 60hz come in.
That 80 watt difference that you mention is the efficiency difference between the 220v/50hz electrical grid and the 110v/60hz electrical grid.

I have a 150 hps flood light, debating On just throwing that inside Side by the 480 96x5 watts when flowering comes around. I'll save 170$ not sure yet.

Now as for the sizing by consumption is concerned the drivers are going to supply the 40 to 55% at either input.
So how can we size lights by a variable input load that dramatic.
I'm wondering if I can power mine with 208v @ 60Hz maybe a bench test is in order.

You are correct sir.
700 watts is the total potential wattage of the LED diodes. This number will always be the same.
Diodes must be driven at about 40% to 55% of their potential, no higher. If the diodes are driven higher than 50 to 60% they will degrade very quickly.
The power required to drive the diodes at approximately 50% of their calculated overall potential is where the 300 watt @ 220v / 50hz and 380 watt @ 110v / 60hz come in.
That 80 watt difference that you mention is the efficiency difference between the 220v/50hz electrical grid and the 110v/60hz electrical grid.

Now as for the sizing by consumption is concerned the drivers are going to supply the 40 to 55% at either input.
So how can we size lights by a variable input load that dramatic.
I'm wondering if I can power mine with 208v @ 60Hz maybe a bench test is in order.

If the benchmarks were based on amperage draws we would not be pecking at our keyboards about this sometimes confusing issue.

The benchmark values of 30 to 50 wall watts per square foot of grow space for LED's is based on US power grid supply which is 110v/60hz. The drivers will use the same amount of energy regardless of the input power supply. But because 220v/50hz systems are more efficient than 110v/60hz systems it takes less input power from the 220v/50hz grid supply to power the diode drivers.

Before trying your test I suggest that you confirm with Sara that 208v/60hz is compatible with the drivers and fans.
If the drivers are not 208v/60hz compatible you may damage the light.
:peace:

Not worried about the testing, I have the proper test equipment besides the tag reads 85 to 265v at 50/60hz !
Using my variac I can vary from 0 to 209v on the line and bring it up slow. I was testing a 600w coil and core ballast for an old projector build using a double ended 575w MH bulb cant go below 176v it loses the arc, forgot how hot those bulbs are LoL

Plugged......I love those quotes in your signature. Both are very true statements.
:thumb:

Great post I currently have a 4x4 tent running two lights a g8 450 and an old magnum 350 185 watts. I am replacing the old magnum and have it down to two lights the Mars 2 700 or the Galaxay hydro 600 3 watt. My question is how hot does that mars get. Just have experience with 3 watts my G8 is very cool I am leaning towards the Mars. Any thoughts on the heat.

Plugged......I love those quotes in your signature. Both are very true statements.
:thumb:

Thanks and happy growing :thanks:

Great post I currently have a 4x4 tent running two lights a g8 450 and an old magnum 350 185 watts. I am replacing the old magnum and have it down to two lights the Mars 2 700 or the Galaxay hydro 600 3 watt. My question is how hot does that mars get. Just have experience with 3 watts my G8 is very cool I am leaning towards the Mars. Any thoughts on the heat.

If you are able to maintain ambient room temps of about 72 to 75 degrees F AND you have a 6" inline vent fan installed in your tent with passive air intake then you should have no problems maintaining tent temps of 84 degrees F or lower.
:goodluck:

Thanks for the reply my set up is nice just needed a little info on the mars 2 on the heat. I am banging my head between the mars 2 700 and Galaxay hydro 600. I run a scrogg and I am curious on how the 5 watts penetrate.

Thanks for the reply my set up is nice just needed a little info on the mars 2 on the heat. I am banging my head between the mars 2 700 and Galaxay hydro 600. I run a scrogg and I am curious on how the 5 watts penetrate.

I am running a 900 in a 3x3 tent. My last full harvest was 4 plants and a little over 15oz. The last plant that I chopped was an Incredible Bulk. It was 94 days from germinating the seed to chop and I got a little over 2 oz of rock hard very strong bud. Smoked some yesterday (dried only no cure) and it kind of put me on my ass for a little while. That stuff will be killer after it cures.

With defol, even the popcorn bud on the bottom was hard and smokable. No problem with penetration!!:peace:
20150910_070714_resized.jpg
20150910_070722_resized.jpg
20150912_152142.jpg

Nice buds supergroomer. I think i will go with the Mars 2 700 with the G8 450 I will be pumping 660 tru watts covering my whole tent with lots of cross over. Currently I am in a grow day 15 in flower in my tent My Plants under my G8 look so nice my magnum has the focused lenses and it always bleaches my leaves. You might trying a scrogg you can get more of those top buds.

Awesome results Supergroomer!!
:bravo:

Was this achieved with the older 3watt diode version of the Mars II or with the new 5watt diode version?

Nice buds supergroomer. I think i will go with the Mars 2 700 with the G8 450 I will be pumping 660 tru watts covering my whole tent with lots of cross over. Currently I am in a grow day 15 in flower in my tent My Plants under my G8 look so nice my magnum has the focused lenses and it always bleaches my leaves. You might trying a scrogg you can get more of those top buds.

The problem with me and scrogging, is that I am running a perpetual garden. Almost everything in the flower tent and the veg tents are at different points. Right now I have a Dream Machine that is 6 a little over 6 weeks into flower, a Critical Silver Super haze at about 3 1/2 weeks, a Blueberry that got put in a Saturday and a Strain Hunter Money maker on Sunday. The Veg tent is even more all over the place. I move things from veg to flower as there is room. :peace:

Was this achieved with the older 3watt diode version of the Mars II or with the new 5watt diode version?

That was with the Mars II 5w. When I got my lights, it was a choice between 3w reflector or 5w Mars II. I got the Mars II for penetration. No complaints at all!!! :peace:

Never mind......I was thinking about the Reflector Series for some reason......put down the J UncleC....
:tokin:

I have a couple of outdoor/Indoor that are in 38 day of flowering some nice white window. I have a closet on my balcony with a 400 watt hid i pull them out in the morning let them get sun all day and put them back at 6 pm in the dark. I never have to worry any more about those fucking green bud worms that ruin your plants. And i control when they bud I will get some pics and send out. And on the weekends they stay in the closet until the sun hits the balcony. Doing a HI brix grow they smell amazing.

Back
Top Bottom