How to stop plants from stretching

joedaddy805

So i planted a few seeds a few days ago and these things are stretching like crazy. i have the light super close but they just keep going. i was wondering when i go to transplant these can i just put half the stem under soil so that they aren't so tall and also have a lil more support since it'll sit a lil deeper or will it mess up the stem cause it'll be under the soil.

20140105_165138.jpg

20140105_165151.jpg

18/6 works fine, I see no reason for it, why allow plant to sleep, it just stretches and wilts in dark that is not needed for any reason, you save a little $, but you have to veg longer, works out the same in the long run under 24 & you finish sooner from my experience

ok so im gonna have to build a spot for them to be in so i can keep them under 24 light. i just have them in my room for now with the light on. also if you can check out my journal and answer the questions there if u can i don't seem to get people looking at it enough or wanting to answer and i don't like starting new threads for every question i have that i can't fid the answer for.

You can bury the stems deeper to support your seedlings when you transplant, that is what I do when I have a tall or stretched seedling. For vegetative growth 18/6 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness is the best lighting schedule to use. I read a study on lighting schedule versus root length and plants grown under 16/8 grew the longest roots, 18/6 was not tested. I was made aware of a study of lighting schedule versus growth and plants given at least 5.5 hours of light grew the most.

You will be just fine planting them deeper at transplant. Like others said, oscillating fan to get the stems stronger and get your lights as close as you can. Use the back of your hand to judge temperature and determine how close you can get before it gets too hot. You can run 24 hours on for veg to help keep nodes tight but it seems from personal experience this will delay any signs of sex (preflowers). I run 24/0 for the first few weeks then 2 weeks before bloom I switch to 18/6 so there will be no delay when I switch to flowering.

That is a very long time to veg. I would have it on 24/0 until I was about to bloom then I would switch it over the week before or so to 18/6. This is my favorite method. What kind of light do you have them under?

I would keep your plants with a 18/6 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness lighting schedule for vegetative growth.

good advice , 24-7 is just to long. when I check my girls in the morning the grow at least a 1/2 inch. I tried 24-7 and they took forever to grow. look at it this way , what plant has light on it for 24hrs. IMO its just bad advice to light them that long.
I've grown outside and inside and NEVER ran 24-7 and always had good crops

Back
Top Bottom