How to transplant seedlings from 5 gallon to 1 gallon?

cakemix

Hey guys, I made the mistake of planting my seedlings directly into 5 gallon pots. How can I transplant them from the 5 gallon pots to 1 gallon pots without harming them? Or it is better to just leave them in the 5 gallon pots?

O43Rldy.jpg

Thanks!

I've done this before.

The tap root on that baby girl will be pretty long. Maybe even 4". Just be very careful. Use a hand trowel/transplanter, scoop as deep as you can and move to the 1 gallon pot.

She'll be fine. Just have everything you need prepped and ready to go.

If you're nervous, fill an empty pot with soil and practice the transplant first to get an idea of how you'll do it for real.

I wouldn't leave her in the 5 gallon pot.

When in veg, you want to water, then let the soil dry out completely before the next watering. This forces the roots to grow, looking for water. In a 5 gallon pot, it would take weeks for the pot to dry out. The roots would become "lazy" because of the abundance of easily available water. She needs a healthy root system to sustain her during flowering.

Have you considered starting a grow journal? It's the best way to get help and make friends.

Happy growing...

Thanks for the reply dude! Should I let the soil dry out a bit before I dig the seedlings out and transplant? And how far around it do I dig? Like 2" in each direction and 5" deep? Also yes I just started my first journal, I'll have to add it to my sig.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply dude! Should I let the soil dry out a bit before I dig the seedlings out and transplant? And how far around it do I dig? Like 2" in each direction and 5" deep? Also yes I just started my first journal, I'll have to add it to my sig.

Thanks!

The tap root will go straight down. One good scoop will get it.

There are no roots to hold the soil together. It could just fall apart. That's why I suggested a test run with plain soil to get a feel for how this will work for you. You may find you have to cup the soil with your hand when removing and placing into the new pot. Moist may be better for this, but easier to break the tap root if mishandled.

Look forward to the new journal...

The tap root will go straight down. One good scoop will get it.

There are no roots to hold the soil together. It could just fall apart. That's why I suggested a test run with plain soil to get a feel for how this will work for you. You may find you have to cup the soil with your hand when removing and placing into the new pot. Moist may be better for this, but easier to break the tap root if mishandled.

Look forward to the new journal...

I transplanted them today and I think everything went well. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom