5 gallon bucket

Jgrower223

420 Member
Hey I'm a new grower and I have a situation I'm hoping someone can help me with. I've got some beautiful plants in veg and I'm about to switch to bloom. One month ago I put them in a 5 gallon bucket from a 2 gallon pot that and they all already have roots coming out of the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket. My main question is do you think they will get root bound before I finish a 2 month bloom? Or do I need to put them in like a 7 gallon pot before bloom? I have them in a coco soil mix and they are about 3ft tall. If you need more info let me know. Thanks and happy growing!

Hey I'm a new grower and I have a situation I'm hoping someone can help me with. I've got some beautiful plants in veg and I'm about to switch to bloom. One month ago I put them in a 5 gallon bucket from a 2 gallon pot that and they all already have roots coming out of the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket. My main question is do you think they will get root bound before I finish a 2 month bloom? Or do I need to put them in like a 7 gallon pot before bloom? I have them in a coco soil mix and they are about 3ft tall. If you need more info let me know. Thanks and happy growing!
Hi @Jgrower223 and welcome to the forum!
There is a lot of bad information out there on the forums and on YouTube. Many many denizens of these online gossip sites would like to scare you into believing that they are experts, and that you are not, and that for your grow to survive you must hang on every word and every bit of scary advice they have to give you. Grow forums have exploded in popularity lately, and many try to be more controversial than the next, just to draw in more members who hang on their every word and pronouncements of Bro-Science. If it is on the internet, it must be true, right?

It may relieve some of your tension to know that it is a myth that it is time to transplant when you see roots coming out of the drainage holes. You should be able to bloom all the way through in a 5 gallon bucket... people do it all the time. If your plant was sucking that large container dry every time you watered and you were struggling to keep enough water in her to keep her going, then and only then I would say that your roots had exceeded the space they were in. Since that is not happening, you are not anywhere close to being root bound.

I just uppotted a couple ladies into 5 gallon fabric pots. Those will be their final pot. I'll be using some 5 gallon squat pots to finish a couple others too. I will also be trying to finish some in 3 gallon pots. I want to see the yield results and also compare the amount of care needed for smaller pots. As Emilya mentioned, if they start sucking up the water too quickly, then I'll need to decide how to proceed. Good luck!

I did the 5 and 3 gallon thing several times. Better to go into 5 or 7 gal unless yield isn't important. 3 gal was about 1/3 less yield than 5 and 7 gal was about 1/3 more.

Wow thank you guys for all your comments and suggestions! I got another one for you. I'm now a week into bloom and I'm thinking about lolipoping. During this process is it still possible to take clones? I did take some a week before bloom and they are doing well but if its possible to get more and not waste what I cut off I plan to make more clones with them. I might post the same question as a new thread but figured I'd ask this group.

Emily do you think they need it or should I just leave them be? Also is it still possible to take clones from the bottom during the lolipoping or not because they are in bloom?

Attachments

• 15904256651602132758986997189649.jpg
    15904256651602132758986997189649.jpg
    687.4 KB · Views: 77
If I may suggest, commit to trimming out the bottom third of these plants. This will clear out the bottom of the canopy for greater air flow and while you are doing that you are going to see lots of little branches that are never going to reach the canopy in the thick of the inner center of the growth. Be merciless... if it isn't going to reach the canopy, it becomes a clone. I bet you could get 30 clones out of that mess, while you clean them up really good for bloom. While you are lollypopping, be sure to keep some of the larger fans to keep producing energy... I am not a big fan of the process.

Back
Top Bottom