5 Gallon Buckets

Buckets420

I am using four 5 gallon buckets for my grow and would like some input on preparing the buckets. I am wondering how many holes should I drill in my buckets, what size the holes should be, and where the holes should be drilled. My soil mixture is 2" of coco croutons on the bottom of the bucket and a mixture of fox farm, perlite, and coco fiber if any of this matters. This is my first time growing so there is a huge learning curve for me but I have been researching soil mixtures, lighting , and other issues related to the grow. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really haven't found any good articles or videos on this issue.

I am using four 5 gallon buckets for my grow and would like some input on preparing the buckets. I am wondering how many holes should I drill in my buckets, what size the holes should be, and where the holes should be drilled. My soil mixture is 2" of coco croutons on the bottom of the bucket and a mixture of fox farm, perlite, and coco fiber if any of this matters. This is my first time growing so there is a huge learning curve for me but I have been researching soil mixtures, lighting , and other issues related to the grow. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really haven't found any good articles or videos on this issue.
I'm not a big fan of buckets because they retain water and are hard to flush. Personally, I'd drill as many 1/4" holes as I could (but still hold soil) in the bottom 6" of the buckets. That's just what I would do. Hope you have a successful grow!

-P:ganjamon:

What would you suggest using other than buckets?
I use cloth "Geo Pots". They breathe great, help soil drainage. I've got a few 3 gallon, 5 gallon, and 7 gallon that I use depending on what I'm growing. They've never done me wrong.

I've used 5 gallon buckets & soil with great sucess. I drilled 4 holes spaced evenly around the buckets. About 1.5 inches up from the bottom of the inside of the bucket. Using a 5/16 drill bit. That allowed good flow of water out of the bucket incase I needed to flush the soil.
Just an FYI, This was also an outdoors grow during the summer too. So the soil staying too wet wasnt an issue for me.

Currently I have my first indoor grow in a 5 gallon bucket too. It just has two 5/16 holes spaced 180 deg apart about 1.75 inches up from the bottom. The bottom layer of the bucket is filled with perlite about 2 inches up. Then my soil blend on top of that. It's been doing really well.

My next project is a 5 gal DWC hydroponic grow I'm looking forward to trying..

I have been using airpots. They are hard plastic with tons of holes. They encourage the roots to spread throughout the pot and cause the roots to cauterise when they get to the edges.

Up sides - I think the pics speak for themselves.

Downsides -

I had fungus gnats on the last grow. The holes make it more difficult to deal with. Not impossible, but there were a lot more hiding spaces and places to escape from.

Watering towards the end took longer. That's because there was so much root, it takes a while for the water to be absorbed. Not sure that's really a down side.

Not cheap.

I've used 5 gallon buckets & soil with great sucess. I drilled 4 holes spaced evenly around the buckets. About 1.5 inches up from the bottom of the inside of the bucket. Using a 5/16 drill bit. That allowed good flow of water out of the bucket incase I needed to flush the soil.
Just an FYI, This was also an outdoors grow during the summer too. So the soil staying too wet wasnt an issue for me.

Currently I have my first indoor grow in a 5 gallon bucket too. It just has two 5/16 holes spaced 180 deg apart about 1.75 inches up from the bottom. The bottom layer of the bucket is filled with perlite about 2 inches up. Then my soil blend on top of that. It's been doing really well.

My next project is a 5 gal DWC hydroponic grow I'm looking forward to trying..
Thanks for the reply I am new to this and trying not to ruin my grow with something simple like over watering. If you don’t mind me asking what type of lights are you running?

Thanks for the reply I am new to this and trying not to ruin my grow with something simple like over watering. If you don’t mind me asking what type of lights are you running?
Almost impossible to overwater with fabric pots and airpots. One other consideration is with photos they want to spread their roots horizontally and a 5-gallon bucket is rather narrow, which will may limit grow size and yield. Autos have a deeper taproot and would be less encumbered by the shape of a bucket. Fabric pots cost less than buckets and are reusable.

Asking advice on lights here get you a million opinions. As a newbie I went to someone here that grew lots indoors and she said @TimberGrowLights ...and I got one that fit my budget. @GROWant is also another light she uses. Both sponsor this forum and both offer good lighting choices.

:goodluck:

@Chris Scorpio Haha Chris. Qb a. U and penny. Well welcome to my secret weapon. I just picked up a qb xl 288 320w from hlg. Now. Add that to my hydro setup. And I’ll hopefully b pulling with u and penny

Almost impossible to overwater with fabric pots and airpots. One other consideration is with photos they want to spread their roots horizontally and a 5-gallon bucket is rather narrow, which will may limit grow size and yield. Autos have a deeper taproot and would be less encumbered by the shape of a bucket. Fabric pots cost less than buckets and are reusable.

Asking advice on lights here get you a million opinions. As a newbie I went to someone here that grew lots indoors and she said @TimberGrowLights ...and I got one that fit my budget. @GROWant is also another light she uses. Both sponsor this forum and both offer good lighting choices.

:goodluck:
Awesome so I ordered the 7 gallon geo pots today and the only thing left is the lights. I have a 32”*32*63 grow tent and was hoping to find a light that would fit the tent area.

Awesome so I ordered the 7 gallon geo pots today and the only thing left is the lights. I have a 32”*32*63 grow tent and was hoping to find a light that would fit the tent area.
Define your budget and spend every penny of it....:)

No one ever said they wish they got the cheaper lights....

Most companies will tell you X light covers Y area....

Your so lucky I live in Las Vegas and the sun would destroy anything growing outside.
They sell 20/40/60/80% shade cloth...you could have the same GH and just shade and vent it properly and it would be 10 degrees cooler than outside (which is still fine for cannabis.)

For my first grow I was hoping 200.00 but could do 300:00
I spent more than I thought I would but only after I realized I was getting what I paid for....I went with a name brand mentioned above because I wasn't sure if I would like indoor growing...if that was the case I wanted to be able to flip it and get 80% of my money back, which is possible with a known brand.

If you see yourself going for more than a few grows, invest in the best light you can afford.

There isn't a thread here where people bitch about good lights, but many about the cheap ones....

My first grow light is a $80 viparspectra 300 watt reflector series. I use it in a 2.5 x 2.5 foot single shower stall for my first indoor grow going now. Its served me well. It's on a single plant that turned out to be an autoflower by mistake from the place that sold me seeds. It's about 20 inches tall not including the pot & roots. Very healthy plant. I actually have another viparspectra I just ordered. This time a 450 watt for $120. Just because I decided I wanted a little more light for that space & planning head for the next grow.

Back
Top Bottom