Howell's - Perpetual - LED - Mixed Strain - Grow

Just got done reading through your thread. I have a lot of experience growing Auto's. I tried topping them before and it didn't turn out well. Just my experience. The life cycle is so short, it struggles to recover by the time they are ready to be harvested, and if you try to let them go longer, they will start dying... I have heard of some auto strains that respond ok to it, if you do it really early, like Mazar or some of Stitch's Super Autos.

What I have always done with Autos is tie them down around the rim of the container in a circle. I start when they are still seedlings, as soon as they are tall enough to be bent down and reach the edge of the container. I use coated paperclips. I regularly got well over a dozen thick, foot long colas on each plant.

Similar effect to topping; all those lower branches and larf turn into nice colas. Just my two cents. Hope it all turns out well. Will def be watching your next grow.

Just got done reading through your thread. I have a lot of experience growing Auto's. I tried topping them before and it didn't turn out well. Just my experience. The life cycle is so short, it struggles to recover by the time they are ready to be harvested, and if you try to let them go longer, they will start dying... I have heard of some auto strains that respond ok to it, if you do it really early, like Mazar or some of Stitch's Super Autos.

What I have always done with Autos is tie them down around the rim of the container in a circle. I start when they are still seedlings, as soon as they are tall enough to be bent down and reach the edge of the container. I use coated paperclips. I regularly got well over a dozen thick, foot long colas on each plant.

Similar effect to topping; all those lower branches and larf turn into nice colas. Just my two cents. Hope it all turns out well. Will def be watching your next grow.
Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate the feedback. I'll be trying your technique out on my Auto Red Dwarf and I'll see how it turns out, I have no intention of topping her so yeah

not to disagree with anyone,, not my intention at all, peace and love and all that,, ha,, but,,

topping autos is very standard practice, indeed, no issues at all,, i know for sure i top every one of mine,, i treat those autos 'exactly' like my photos,, mind you, i only top em once,, my photos too,, key is to top em early,, don't wait till the cows come home to do it,, third maybe fourth set of branches

an auto actually grows for just as long as a photo, near a hundred days,, so there be plenty of time for topping,, just,, early, as i mentioned

but certainly not necessary,, my plants would not fit in my flower room iffin i did not top em once,,

cheers friend

not to disagree with anyone,, not my intention at all, peace and love and all that,, ha,, but,,

topping autos is very standard practice, indeed, no issues at all,, i know for sure i top every one of mine,, i treat those autos 'exactly' like my photos,, mind you, i only top em once,, my photos too,, key is to top em early,, don't wait till the cows come home to do it,, third maybe fourth set of branches

an auto actually grows for just as long as a photo, near a hundred days,, so there be plenty of time for topping,, just,, early, as i mentioned

but certainly not necessary,, my plants would not fit in my flower room iffin i did not top em once,,

cheers friend

Cool, good to know. I tried it once on Auto AK47 around 2009. Autos have really improved over the last 10 years and there is a much bigger variety than ever before, but I never tried again.

My grows were always in a micro-garden for personal use, until now. Still for personal use, but working with a bigger setup now, and photos. Though I am new to the area and may go back to autos, because as I learned recently blackouts are common here, but with this setup.

Still, I like doing it the way I do (on autos) because it is a similar effect to topping with zero recovery time. That said, I may give topping another try, very early, if I do more auto runs.

cheers friend
Thanks for the info man. I'll try topping her once while she's young and then I'll spread out the two new tops towards the edge my pot. That'll give me a nice even symmetrical canopy

Cool, good to know. I tried it once on Auto AK47 around 2009. Autos have really improved over the last 10 years and there is a much bigger variety than ever before, but I never tried again.

My grows were always in a micro-garden for personal use, until now. Still for personal use, but working with a bigger setup now, and photos. Though I am new to the area and may go back to autos, because as I learned recently blackouts are common here, but with this setup.

Still, I like doing it the way I do (on autos) because it is a similar effect to topping with zero recovery time. That said, I may give topping another try, very early, if I do more auto runs.
If you don't want to risk topping without knowing the consequences then kindly wait till I'm done with my current grow and then you'll decide for yourself if you're up for it or not.. :cheers:

Hi guys, Howell here again. I'll be posting some pics soon so stay tuned. I'm definitely going to be getting a 300W Mars Hydro LED grow light soon. It'll help reduce the heat problem a lot and maximize the little space I have. I'll be getting it on eBay and the delivery is estimated for the end of November. That basically means I'll be finishing my current grow and starting of my next grow with it. I've read good reviews about the grow light, the only thing that's bothering me is the fan's noise.. If anyone knows of any fan that runs quieter then please feel free to share your knowledge.

Hi guys, Howell here again. I'll be posting some pics soon so stay tuned. I'm definitely going to be getting a 300W Mars Hydro LED grow light soon. It'll help reduce the heat problem a lot and maximize the little space I have. I'll be getting it on eBay and the delivery is estimated for the end of November. That basically means I'll be finishing my current grow and starting of my next grow with it. I've read good reviews about the grow light, the only thing that's bothering me is the fan's noise.. If anyone knows of any fan that runs quieter then please feel free to share your knowledge.

I've heard good things about the MarsHydro but I haven't tried it myself.

I thought that I couldn't mention the LED I am using because it is not a sponsor light but I reread the rules and think that only applies to sponsors, which I am not. I am using KingPLUS (by KingLED) double 5W chip/10W; a 300W and an 800W.

However, I just ordered a Viparspectra 600W/PAR-845. A friend of mine has one and says he loves it. He just harvested a fat crop of killer bud, so I will be switching to it when it comes in.

I'll keep the kings though, thinking of running a separate auto grow so I may use the 800W for that. May switch to Autos entirely if the blackouts end up being an issue. Weasalcracker says he has a lot of blackouts too and so far they haven't seemed to affect his plants. Not sure if his are as frequent as I've heard they are here though.

The fans on the Kings are pretty quiet. I can't hear them over the fan I have blowing on the plants. But with those chips, they are pretty intense; need to wear sunscreen and sunglasses. I burnt my skin and my eyes before I adopted those safety protocols. Not sure if that is the case with all LED's or just the 10W chips. First time with LED's

I've heard good things about the MarsHydro but I haven't tried it myself.

I thought that I couldn't mention the LED I am using because it is not a sponsor light but I reread the rules and think that only applies to sponsors, which I am not. I am using KingPLUS (by KingLED) double 5W chip/10W; a 300W and an 800W.

However, I just ordered a Viparspectra 600W/PAR-845. A friend of mine has one and says he loves it. He just harvested a fat crop of killer bud, so I will be switching to it when it comes in.

I'll keep the kings though, thinking of running a separate auto grow so I may use the 800W for that. May switch to Autos entirely if the blackouts end up being an issue. Weasalcracker says he has a lot of blackouts too and so far they haven't seemed to affect his plants. Not sure if his are as frequent as I've heard they are here though.

The fans on the Kings are pretty quiet. I can't hear them over the fan I have blowing on the plants. But with those chips, they are pretty intense; need to wear sunscreen and sunglasses. I burnt my skin and my eyes before I adopted those safety protocols. Not sure if that is the case with all LED's or just the 10W chips. First time with LED's
Yeah some of them are pretty powerful. Well I think I'll be getting one tomorrow then

Here are some pics for you guys. My Auto #1 is starting to fatten up pretty good, she had some setbacks but she's doing pretty good now.
My male accidentally got burnt because one of the CFLs broke.. It's doing better now though.
The seedling got fed yesterday with the minimal amount of Bio Grow and it's loving it already.
420-magazine-mobile1109286258.jpg
420-magazine-mobile741157938.jpg
420-magazine-mobile524317794.jpg
420-magazine-mobile385141062.jpg
420-magazine-mobile77371282.jpg

Yeah some of them are pretty powerful. Well I think I'll be getting one tomorrow then

Is your grow space only 3.5'? You mentioned it is half the height of mine. If that is the case, I would say be careful with the higher powered - more intense LED's. They may not throw a lot of heat downward toward the plants but they can definitely burn them; especially the panels with UV-B (germicidal) and IR diodes.

It's not the heat that burns the plants with LED's, it's the lights intensity. At least the ones that I have come with a warning that seedlings should be at least 30 inches away, to avoid burn. If your entire grow space is 42" in height, you may run into some issues.

Also, in that small a confined space, if you are running a fan on your girls, it will circulate the heat from the light above throughout the room. Most of the panels disperse the heat outward and upward, away from the plants. There is not much room for you to go upward and a fan will circulate it all around; I just had that issue and had to switch rooms.

Not sure about the Mars but I think it uses 3W chips. Not sure how much heat it throws. I've heard they have really good heat syncs. I hope it's not an issue but I think it may be in that confined space.

Do you have another room that you can move your grow to?

Is your grow space only 3.5'? You mentioned it is half the height of mine. If that is the case, I would say be careful with the higher powered - more intense LED's. They may not throw a lot of heat downward toward the plants but they can definitely burn them; especially the panels with UV-B (germicidal) and IR diodes.

It's not the heat that burns the plants with LED's, it's the lights intensity. At least the ones that I have come with a warning that seedlings should be at least 30 inches away, to avoid burn. If your entire grow space is 42" in height, you may run into some issues.

Also, in that small a confined space, if you are running a fan on your girls, it will circulate the heat from the light above throughout the room. Most of the panels disperse the heat outward and upward, away from the plants. There is not much room for you to go upward and a fan will circulate it all around; I just had that issue and had to switch rooms.

Not sure about the Mars but I think it uses 3W chips. Not sure how much heat it throws. I've heard they have really good heat syncs. I hope it's not an issue but I think it may be in that confined space.

Do you have another room that you can move your grow to?
I've researched the 300W Mars Hydro LED and it's perfect for my space. I'll be getting a Grow Box 60 x 60 x 120 Cm because that's the amount of space i have. It's enough for 4-5 autos, trust me. I'm not really looking to start anything too big, just a personal grow. I might consider getting a bigger room in the future though. I'll also be getting some inline fans to keep the air circulation going and to get the optimal temperature. Anyways I'll be posting some update with the new LED grow light soon, I know my plants will love it.

I've researched the 300W Mars Hydro LED and it's perfect for my space. I'll be getting a Grow Box 60 x 60 x 120 Cm because that's the amount of space i have. It's enough for 4-5 autos, trust me. I'm not really looking to start anything too big, just a personal grow. I might consider getting a bigger room in the future though. I'll also be getting some inline fans to keep the air circulation going and to get the optimal temperature. Anyways I'll be posting some update with the new LED grow light soon, I know my plants will love it.

Awesome :) I've done no research on that light, just LED's in general. I ran into info about that light though, in forums. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom