HPS Air Cooled or Lensed - Heat Concerns?

WhiteDynomite

Hey all ...

First time grower looking for a little direction.

I'm retrofitting a closet and want to upgrade to a 400 HPS for the flowering (currently using a 125 CFL). I've been able to check out the heat dispersion of a few lights similar to what I'm debating on over at a local grow shop but they were all in an extremely large open area, each with a lens. Stuffing them in an relatively air tight closet concerns me...

Grow Space Specs

6' x 4.5' x 22" and two of the open interior walls are uninsulated drywall.
Double coated in Kilz white flat
4" 170 CFM inline fan (with filtration) to vent out the top of the closet into empty drop panel space.
Passive 6" intake for draw.
Basement closet so it runs a little cool

Light Dilemma

With all that said, could I most likely get away with an reflector light system running 400 watts? Or is it a must that I get a cool tube/lens system and set that inline with direct ventilation?

Thanks for any help. I really just don't want to run into any heating problems right off the bat only to have to run out and buy another light. The fact that I only have 22" of space already cuts down a large selection of lights for me and the thinner systems tend to be cool tubes or open reflector .....

I have a 400W HPS with a cooltube and i put a little clip fan right beside the tube entrance and have the fan blow right inside so the temps are never above 75 in my small grow tent which is 3x3x5. Really all u need to do is make sure there is a fan blowing on the light the whole time to keep it cool . and u should be fine.

Hey all ...

First time grower looking for a little direction.

I'm retrofitting a closet and want to upgrade to a 400 HPS for the flowering (currently using a 125 CFL). I've been able to check out the heat dispersion of a few lights similar to what I'm debating on over at a local grow shop but they were all in an extremely large open area, each with a lens. Stuffing them in an relatively air tight closet concerns me...

Grow Space Specs

6' x 4.5' x 22" and two of the open interior walls are uninsulated drywall.
Double coated in Kilz white flat
4" 170 CFM inline fan (with filtration) to vent out the top of the closet into empty drop panel space.
Passive 6" intake for draw.
Basement closet so it runs a little cool

Light Dilemma

With all that said, could I most likely get away with an reflector light system running 400 watts? Or is it a must that I get a cool tube/lens system and set that inline with direct ventilation?

Thanks for any help. I really just don't want to run into any heating problems right off the bat only to have to run out and buy another light. The fact that I only have 22" of space already cuts down a large selection of lights for me and the thinner systems tend to be cool tubes or open reflector .....

check my journal. I made a dual chambered cabinet. One for my 400 watt hps and one for growing. My space is about 2' shorter and less wide than yours. Simple remedy and cheaper than a cooltube ultimately. :)

Lamp Chamber
IMG_24268.JPG

Grow Chamber
IMG_24405.jpg

Right now the temp in the grow chamber stays right around 80F with the cfl's in there. I think i'll have more control with heat using the hps. I'll fire it up next week.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom