How to cool a HPS light?

I just switched from HID 1000 watt to Budget 500 watt led. All my indoor growing from now on will be LED. I am in the process of trimming now the 4 plants from my 4'X4' SCROG. The first 2 plants have given me over 12 ozs of dried prime bud. While this last grow was not entirely LED, the last 6 weeks of bloom were, and I did notice a water use increase with LED. I won't be going back.

Here's Royal Cookies clones looked with different lights. The bud on the left finished last 6 weeks with 500 watt Red Spec LED. Bud on right all HID 1000w. LED may have produced phatter buds.

If you buy an LED, you want to know wall wattage. There's plenty of BS in LED lights about wattage. A lot will quote what HID wattage they theoretically replace.

DSC02054.JPG

That
I just switched from HID 1000 watt to Budget 500 watt led. All my indoor growing from now on will be LED. I am in the process of trimming now the 4 plants from my 4'X4' SCROG. The first 2 plants have given me over 12 ozs of dried prime bud. While this last grow was not entirely LED, the last 6 weeks of bloom were, and I did notice a water use increase with LED. I won't be going back.

Here's Royal Cookies clones looked with different lights. The bud on the left finished last 6 weeks with 500 watt Red Spec LED. Bud on right all HID 1000w. LED may have produced phatter buds.

If you buy an LED, you want to know wall wattage. There's plenty of BS in LED lights about wattage. A lot will quote what HID wattage they theoretically replace.

DSC02054.JPG

that’s impressive! This 500w budget led you managed to get hold of I don’t suppose it was one of the ones from the link posted previous?

also a side note to all of the replies....I thought of maybe getting a 400w hps instead of keeping the 600w hps I have now as a means to save money until I can afford an led? Surely a 400w instead of 600w will decrease the heat?

My HPS ballasts are dimmable. I’d get a dimmable ballast iand then you can have your 400 watts that way. 400w HPS is too low to completely cover the area mentioned in flowering - but you can always just grow a few less plants.
I do think with your current outside temps that it should be very easy to cool your grow, and something must not be set up right. Or your fan is a POS ?

That

that’s impressive! This 500w budget led you managed to get hold of I don’t suppose it was one of the ones from the link posted previous?

also a side note to all of the replies....I thought of maybe getting a 400w hps instead of keeping the 600w hps I have now as a means to save money until I can afford an led? Surely a 400w instead of 600w will decrease the heat?
Most of the modern HPS ballast are dimmable. Have you checked yours

I have a 600w hps light set up in a 1.2x1.2 tent, have a 5 inch inline fan with carbon filter set up pulling the air out And extracting through a window, also have a fan inside the tent blowing air around and it’s hitting 40 Celsius in there. How in the hell do I go about cooling this down by 10 degrees? It’s cold in the uk where I live and really windy and the window being open is not cooling this down either. I have heard of air cooled reflectors, will this drop the heat by 10 degrees? Should I look at investing in an led light instead to reduce temp? I have looked at air conditioning too but afraid of how loud that may be, it’s already loud enough with everything I have set up.
Swamp cooler u have to let more air in and out led lights will help u a lot

my thots,, mine only,,

you say you need to research first,, well, that's what you are doing here

so,, research this,,

plan for 'two' led lights,, research the ones that one can remove the driver off of the unit and move the driver outside the tent,, most important

plan on buying the two led lights in stages ,, one now, and one when funds allow,, a month or two down the road

ditch the hps and install the one light for now,, the plants will still grow,, tho not ultimate,, and if you rotate the plants often to maximize light potential,, all will be just fine till light number two arrives

sounds to me like your hot air is having too difficult of a time to exit the space. maximize that airflow to allow full exhausting. like weaseley mentioned, i did it as well for my window,, build a plywood piece to fit in the window and cut a hole in the plywood 'full 'size of the exhaust pipe.

cheers friend
maybe you need to check and see if u need more power for your setup like a 220 amp
At this point I feel a bit stupid but I don’t know what it is that’s causing this extreme heat. The window is open, it’s being vented outside the window, it’s 8 Celsius outside overcast/raining which should not be causing the tent to heat up to such temperatures.

an Issue with tweaking the current situation is if I am to buy say another fan/air conditioner or something else it’s going to increase the noise even further than it already is. I can already hear it through the door As it is.

I have Heard about venting into an attic. I could drill a hole in the ceiling and do that But I doubt it would drop the temp to what it needs to be?
check your amp maybe u need a 220 to pull your set up
i’ve read different things regarding led. Some say they’re not that much cooler than hps? Also I have seen led lights for £150 for 1000 watts and I’ve seen others that are £400 for the same wattage. Will 1000 watts be the same as the 600 watt hps I have?

sorry for excessive questioning
[/QUOTE
pretty close . look at the kind led lights I have no problem with them.with a build in cooler and timer
Swamp cooler u have to let more air in and out led lights will help u a lot

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    705.3 KB · Views: 62
That

Hey you can keep that 600w cool I have a 600w I keep it at 83° and I have 2 other rooms on the same fan so it can be done

That

The Budget 500W is available from Budgetgrowlights.com

Still having heat issues unfortunately, the plants don’t look too good and are drying up very quick. May just pull them out, buy a 400w hps. Save up a bit of money then get a 500w led from budget led for my next set up. Better to have a yield from a 400w than no yield i guess.

You could always buy a couple of cheaper Viparspectra LED's or something similar to get you by.
Finish your grow with them & once you harvest use some of your weed $ for a better light. Then use the cheaper LED's to start your plants in one area while growing / vegging with your good light in your main area. That's pretty much how I started out. I think I paid $59 each for 2 - 300 watt cheapo LED's. They did the trick.
I recently bought 2 - Mars Hydro TSW 2000 LED's & so far I love them. They are doing a great job in about a 4' x 8' closet grow. You might want to talk to @SmokeSara . She's the sponsor here for Mars Hydro. I don't feel any need at all to upgrade from these lights. I may have to add a 3rd one once my grow room is completed (I'm building one in my shed) as it's a little bigger area.
Here's a pic of the lights I have. The plants are 6 weeks old. There's no fans on these lights as they don't put out much heat at all.

6-179.JPG

Still having heat issues unfortunately, the plants don’t look too good and are drying up very quick. May just pull them out, buy a 400w hps. Save up a bit of money then get a 500w led from budget led for my next set up. Better to have a yield from a 400w than no yield i guess.
Mate I am with you. been killing me seeing missed posts on this one. I grew for decades on 2 x 600w hps in an attic in the uk. Heat issue is a massive one to get nailed. A quick solution is " cool tubes". not too pricey to buy but are perfect . vent straight through the room and passes the bulb to extract straight out. Connects to exhaust and lights so killed 2 birds with 1 stone. Get a sprayer and spray the tents walls with a mist as often as you can while you have the heat/too dry issue. Also put some wet towels up with the bottom into bucket of water to wick it up for better humidity. you need some moisture in there by the sounds of it. I do this often in summer so don't worry . use as many as you need and can set up.
I converted to Mads hydro lights last year and love them , the are killing my 1200w hps yields and the running coats are halved too. All in good time on the conversion but for now try the cool tubes ( act fast 2 week lockdown coming here !)

You could always buy a couple of cheaper Viparspectra LED's or something similar to get you by.
Finish your grow with them & once you harvest use some of your weed $ for a better light. Then use the cheaper LED's to start your plants in one area while growing / vegging with your good light in your main area. That's pretty much how I started out. I think I paid $59 each for 2 - 300 watt cheapo LED's. They did the trick.
I recently bought 2 - Mars Hydro TSW 2000 LED's & so far I love them. They are doing a great job in about a 4' x 8' closet grow. You might want to talk to @SmokeSara . She's the sponsor here for Mars Hydro. I don't feel any need at all to upgrade from these lights. I may have to add a 3rd one once my grow room is completed (I'm building one in my shed) as it's a little bigger area.
Here's a pic of the lights I have. The plants are 6 weeks old. There's no fans on these lights as they don't put out much heat at all.

6-179.JPG
same route I took mate. I chose 2 tsl2000 for the length though and now added an sp250 that finishes a great output for my 6x4ft canopy
hit 41oz off 12 plants last run for 850w at the wall. improves each grow as you get used to their use. need calmag to balance them out well though. definately tighter buds than the hps too. I love being a Marsian ( I take credit for the name too !).

You could also do something like this to cool your current grow area. Works great.
GEDC4685.JPG
maybe if you run a funeral home with incinerator to hide what it is in there .lol. very stealthy. heehee. lucky sod not having to hide it away.

maybe if you run a funeral home with incinerator to hide what it is in there .lol. very stealthy. heehee. lucky sod not having to hide it away.
Grew some monsters in that tent. Temps were a constant 77 - 79 F & RH stayed at 65% area. Best conditions I ever grew in.
GEDC5556.JPG

Back
Top Bottom