Bud's Does A SIP Featuring The ViparSpectra KS5000

Hello Everyone & Welcome to my Sponsored Grow Journal. Yes, I was lucky enough to get sponsored by @ViparSpectra with the KS5000 6 Bar LED Grow Light. This light looks amazing & is extremely bright. Makes me feel like singing.... LOL. "Heaven Let Your Light Shine Down on Me ..... Gonna Let it shine, Gonna Let it Shine. Heaven Let Your Light Shine Down on Me!" Just having a little fun.

Anyways, I've noticed 420 Mag has quite an influx of new members. Hope to get some of those members to join in on this journal.
But for those who don't know me yet, I thought I'd do a short introduction.
I've been growing about 6 years now. Close to 4 years now on 420 MAG & 2 years on another site that no longer exists. Yeah, one day went to the old site & it just magically disappeared. No notice of it shutting down or anything. Crazy Chit !
Luckily for me I had a person I consider a good friend & Master Grower @Emilya Green invite me to this site. So glad she did. I've been on a lot of sites & most are full of drama. 420Mag is much better than most sites as there's lots & lots of folks ready to jump in & help you out in times of need.
Emilya guided me through my very first grow ever & has been a great asset to me ever since. She's amazing !
I'm no master grower, but I do fairly well.... most of the time; but not always. I don't follow the rules of growing to the letter as I believe most of those rules were written for MH / HPS grows. I feel some rules still apply when using LED's & some make no sense at all. I tend to just test things out for myself to see what works the best for me. When I started out I was only yielding 2-4 oz. per plant.
Now I'm pulling about a pound per plant.... so, I must be doing something right. Hope this intrigues some of the newbies to ride along on this grow journey.

This journal will mainly focus on the @ViparSpectra KS5000 grow light & attempting to fill a 4x4 tent area with just one plant in a 12 gal. SIP. Yes, I'm going for the motherload ! I'm going to post how I set my tent up; since I replaced my old tent with a 4x8 Gorilla Grow Tent & had to do the set up anyway. Since I'm only using 1/2 the tent to grow in, I filled the other 1/2 with equipment I use at different stages of my grow. Now, you don't have to have all these things to grow nice big plants. Sometimes I don't even use the stuff. But I'm looking to try to make this my biggest & best grow ever, so I'll be using it as needed. We'll get to the equipment part soon.
I'll be starting this grow from seed. I won some "Runtz Punch" seeds from @Herbies Seeds so I'll be growing one of them for this journal. They are not sponsoring this grow; but are more then welcome to join in & check out the grow. I'll post info on the strain when I plant the seed today.
In this journal I'll also be building a 12 gallon SIP with a Float & an external Reservoir. If all goes as planned this SIP should be double badass !
My plan is to Veg, Top & LST for 8-10 weeks. I'll go as long as 12 weeks if needed. My goal is to fill a 4x4 with one plant.... after all.

I'll tag everyone as soon as I have a list of names together. So get ready to jump in & hold on, because we're fixin' to get rollin'.

Back soon with my Tags !

Back with some Tags & guess what ? "You're It !" If your name is on this list it's because you followed one of my journals at some point or you were on the last 10 pages from here SIP Club - Getting Hydro/Coco Results In A Soil Based Medium . Thought I'd add some of the other SIP-Pers just in case they are interested. Never the less, I probably missed some folks. But anyone & everyone is more than welcome to join in. Feel free to speak up, ask questions or post pics. I'm easy to work with & we all learn from each other's conversations. So here we go with the list. It's gotten pretty long. Gonna need a joint break after this.... lol.

@Azimuth , @InTheShed , @farside05 , @Emilya Green , @Krissi Carbone , @Trala , @HashGirl , @Carmen Ray , @Bill284 ,
@013 , @VetSmoke85 , @Nine Toed Hippie , @ReservoirDog , @Grand Daddy Black , @bluter , @LKABudMan , @Hash Hound , @StoneOtter , @Carcass , @el gringuito , @Mountainman80 , @GratefulBud , @Timhomegrow , @Northward , @bluenoserjoe , @Gidorah , @greenjeans , @Stunger , @GreenFingaz , @Fenderbender , @CaptainLucky , @Nev , @Will11 , @Twalte , @lootznbootz , @Keffka , @AspenCultivator , @sjb504 , @stardawg17 , @Thomas M , @Bode , @Big Sparks , @smokesbetter , @7Dust2 , @KeithLemon , @scottreid1966 , @erieflwr , @nick5311 , @Gee64 , @Weffalo , @NickHardy

Sorry if I missed you. But pull up a rock & sit down a spell !

Hi Buds, looking forward to seeing what the KS5000 can do! Happy growing in 2023.
Hi there Carmen ! Yes indeed. I am so looking forward to what this light will do. I think it will be perfect for the grow I'm about to do. I think it being a Bar Light & not the Hooded Lights I usually use will make a difference when it comes to filling a 4x4.
Info on the light.... coming soon to a journal near you !

Hey there, Thanks for joining in. How you liking your SIP grow ? I was just looking at your plants in the SIP CLUB thread & they look spectacular ! Nice job.

I'm on the fence with SIPs so far. I changed to SIPs and also tried something different with nutes at the same time. The nute experiment didn't go as planned and I had a pretty bad deficiency right when they would normally be stretching. Therefore, I think I stunted them. I got them back on track. The buds look great, but the plants are smaller than I'm accustomed to. I've got a new grow with a @ViparSpectra KS3000 that's just getting underway. I'll be using SIPs, but going back to my normal feed regiment. That should give me a better comparison between SIPs and fabric pots.

Back with some Tags & guess what ? "You're It !" If your name is on this list it's because you followed one of my journals at some point or you were on the last 10 pages from here SIP Club - Getting Hydro/Coco Results In A Soil Based Medium . Thought I'd add some of the other SIP-Pers just in case they are interested. Never the less, I probably missed some folks. But anyone & everyone is more than welcome to join in. Feel free to speak up, ask questions or post pics. I'm easy to work with & we all learn from each other's conversations. So here we go with the list. It's gotten pretty long. Gonna need a joint break after this.... lol.

@Azimuth , @InTheShed , @farside05 , @Emilya Green , @Krissi Carbone , @Trala , @HashGirl , @Carmen Ray , @Bill284 ,
@013 , @VetSmoke85 , @Nine Toed Hippie , @ReservoirDog , @Grand Daddy Black , @bluter , @LKABudMan , @Hash Hound , @StoneOtter , @Carcass , @el gringuito , @Mountainman80 , @GratefulBud , @Timhomegrow , @Northward , @bluenoserjoe , @Gidorah , @greenjeans , @Stunger , @GreenFingaz , @Fenderbender , @CaptainLucky , @Nev , @Will11 , @Twalte , @lootznbootz , @Keffka , @AspenCultivator , @sjb504 , @stardawg17 , @Thomas M , @Bode , @Big Sparks , @smokesbetter , @7Dust2 , @KeithLemon , @scottreid1966 , @erieflwr , @nick5311 , @Gee64 , @Weffalo , @NickHardy

I’ll be at the back of the bus Buds but I’m in for the ride. Happy New Year +Grow. CL🍀

A pound a plant, ? In a 4x4 tent,, I have got to see this, make me a believer 👁️ I for one will be watching
I've been avg. 1-1.25 lbs. per plant in a 5 gal. SIP for a few grows now. I'm actually trying to see how close I can get to 2-lbs. from 1 plant this time. That's why the extra Veg. time. This plant was 1.25 lbs.

Buds your an inspiration! I'm following and tagging along, 12gal SIP... wow :)

I am using the exact same light, in a 4x4 and I'm down to ONE plant now due to humidity issues with one of the seedlings. So your journal has piqued my interest even more, I have the exact same space to fill out but no experience or plan, really good timing with you posting yours!

I think I'll be copying your veg time approximately and if I could get over a pound from one plant you know I would be over the moon lol.

All the best and happy new year @Buds Buddy !

Buds your an inspiration! I'm following and tagging along, 12gal SIP... wow :)

I am using the exact same light, in a 4x4 and I'm down to ONE plant now due to humidity issues with one of the seedlings. So your journal has piqued my interest even more, I have the exact same space to fill out but no experience or plan, really good timing with you posting yours!

I think I'll be copying your veg time approximately and if I could get over a pound from one plant you know I would be over the moon lol.

All the best and happy new year @Buds Buddy !
Thank you for joining & wishing you all the best in the New Year !
The next part of this journal might just help you out some.
Stay tuned.................

This next part of my journal is mostly for any newbies that come along & want to know what kinds of things they'll need in order to have the perfect growing environment. However, I may or may not use all of it (because I don't follow all the grow rules). But I'll state what I've read about these things & the way I do it instead.
Obviously step 1 would be to assemble your tent or grow area. I'm using this 4x8x7 Gorilla Grow tent. I picked this up used for $150. The guy said he only used it for one grow. It's in perfect condition other than the Floor Tray Liner. I hope GGT sells replacements for it.
1 (2).JPG
2 (2).JPG

Here's a pic of some things I use as Hanging Hardware. I use Shower Curtain Hooks for the lighter stuff. Sometimes I'll use 2 or 3 depending on how heavy something is. I also use 2" Solid Steel Rings to hang Heavier stuff like the Lights, Fans & Filters as you'll see in the following pics. I get the steel rings at Ace Hardware for 69 cents ea.
3 (2).JPG

Next I put up my Hanging Bars for the Light & Fan/Filter Combo. I always use the upper bars with the shorter hook ends for hanging these things so they have the extra support of the poles under it that have the longer hook ends.
I'm very big on extra support in my tents as I don't want anything falling.
I use the Shower Curtain Hooks & Ratchet Hangers to hold up my Tent Side Supports & then Zip Tie them to the poles.
This makes for a really solid tent. I use 12" wide Wire Closet Shelving for the Tent Side Supports. I like using this as it benefits me in at least 3 ways. First it gives extra support. Second it prevents your tent from being sucked in if you have negative air pressure. I don't usually have neg. air pressure since I use Intake & Exhaust Fans & just balance the 2 out. Third, the shelving gives you plenty of places to hang controllers & power strips so they're not on the ground where they can get wet if something were to go wrong.
Here's a couple pics.
4 (2).JPG
5 (2).JPG

Once I figure out where my Light, Fan & Filter will hang I lift one end of the Hanging Bars off & slide my Steel Rings into place like this.
6 (2).JPG
7 (2).JPG

Next I hang my Fan & Filter & run the electric for it. I try to keep all my controllers mounted closer to the front of the tent for easy access.
8 (2).JPG
9 (2).JPG

Now I'm ready to run my ductwork out the window. I do the electric first as the ductwork gets in the way if you don't.
My window vent for my exhaust is just a 1/4" piece of wood cut to fit the window & 6" round holes cut in it to mount the starting collars. 6" Starting Collars are about $5 at your local Home Depot. I also have my Portable AC Window Vent under my Exhaust vent so I can run it through the tent vent hole before I push the tent back in place.
Here's a pic of it.
10 (2).JPG

Still got more so hold on. Can only put 10 pics per post.

Thanks for the tag Buds.. Can’t wait to see what you do!

Now we get into some of the actual equipment I use. Don't get overwhelmed & think you have to have all these things at once. Took me 5 years of buying, selling, trading & upgrading to get everything. Just buy in order of importance a little at a time.
I use a Portable AC during Flower. I rarely use it during Veg. It's a 14000 BTU which is way overkill for this tent. It also has Heat & a Dehumidifier built in. It does put off some heat so I tend to use my AC in Veg when I use the Dehumidifier to help keep the temps good. I live in Arizona & the weather is really dry here so I don't use the dehumidifier very often.
Still nice to have on hand.... just in case.
11 (2).JPG
12 (2).JPG

Next I hang my Driver for the Double Bad Ass "VIPARSPECTRA KS5000" & run my wiring for it. However, I don't hang my light till last. Hate standing up & bumping my head on lights when I'm setting up.... lol.
13 (2).JPG
14 (2).JPG

So on the opposite side of the tent I mount my other controllers. I use a Temp / Humidity Monitor, a Fan Speed Controller & a Humidity controller to turn my 6 gal. Humidifier off & on at certain humidity levels. The plug you see in the surge protector is where the Humidifier plugs into the controller. The last pic shows the Sensor which I placed in the center of the area I'm growing in at the back of the tent.
15 (2).JPG
16 (2).JPG
17 (2).JPG

Next I run my Intake Air. I'm using a 6" Vortex Fan & Filter for this ducted into a bottom vent hole. I keep Exhaust at the back corner on Top because Heat Rises & I want to pull the heat out. I keep the Intake at the front corner of the tent on the opposite side to bring cooler air in. The suction from the exhaust will pull the cooler air in & circulate it somewhat. I also use Oscillating Fans to help with circulation.
18 (2).JPG
19 (2).JPG

They say in Veg you want about 65% - 70% RH. I don't worry a whole lot about getting my RH that high. I've done grows with 25% Humidity that were just fine. Once I up-pot to my 12 gal. SIP for Vegging I'll most likely use the humidifier some to keep the tent at least 50% RH.
They also say 77F is the perfect temp for Vegging. They are not talking about Tent Temps. They are talking about Leaf Surface Temp (LST). You can use a laser thermometer to check leaf surface temp if you want to dial things in perfectly. I have one, but don't use it. I know that with LED Lighting your tent temp has to be about 84F - 86F to get a 77F leaf temp after so many grows. I don't worry much about anything being out of whack in Veg. It's when I get to Flower that things really matter.
During Flower you want low RH & Cooler Temps. They say 30% - 40% RH in Flower which I believe is good.
Once the stretch is over from the flip to 12/12 I start lowering my RH & Temps using the dehumidifier & AC.
I lower my temps a little at a time over a couple of weeks until I get things down to 68F.
68F will help bring out more Terpene Production, Crystals & Color if the strain is a colorful one.

Well that's the basics of things.
Next up will be the "Viparspectra KS5000" unboxing & hanging. Be back this afternoon with that post as I have a few things I have to do first to prep for it.

Back
Top Bottom