2nd Grow - SIP, KS5000, Banana Tropicanna & Orange Hill Special Photos

Intro
So my autos are almost in flower so I'm planning to use the 2x4 tent and the 4x4 tent to get a perpetual grow going on, I don't expect it to go smoothly as I haven't even seen the results of my first grow but I don't see any benefit in waiting. I want to be harvesting regularly enough to satiate my own massive consumption of cannabis and fingers crossed I can produce some nice smoke for myself.

Environment:
Veg in 2x4 @Mars Hydro tent with TSL2000 & clip on fans, humidifier and Exhale bag
20221107_231518-copy-jpg.2605030

Flower in 4x4 AC Infinity with @ViparSpectra KS5000, 2x ocilating fans, 2x floor fans & humidifier + Exhale bag
3142-copy-jpg.2615550

3143-copy-jpg.2615551

Medium:
BioBizz Light with EcoThrive Charge (Insect frass), @DYNOMYCO & 40% perlite

Container/Grow method:
DIY Sub Irrigated Planters (see: SIPCLUB)
5 gal with 2.5litre food container reservoir, perlite used to allow drainage hole to function for air gap
sip2-jpg.2617633

Nutrients:
GH Flora series with additional silica, fulvic acid, bio roots, bio protect etc and of course CalMag

I've not yet found a schedule to follow I planned to just use the advised amounts on the bottle and see how that goes but with a few weeks until I'll need to add them I'm not fully decided.

Lighting:
I plan to use much higher light settings after watching this video:
- Dr Bruce Bugbee uses a DLI of around 40 or 1000 umol right from the get go, way higher than I've seen advised elsewhere but I know he knows his stuff. I'm gonna test whether the theory holds and I am obviously somewhat anxious about light burn but I'm happy to lose a few seeds/weeks if needed.

The simple way I see it is more light = more growth so if the plants can handle it I'll be more than happy to give it to them.

Training:
I plan to try quadlining for the first time, theres so much info here and the final result looks ideal, I will be utilising the thread/guides HERE.

Strains:
Tropicanna Banana by Barneys Farm
Tropicanna Banana is another totally tantalising addition to our Cali collection. A mesmerising tropical cocktail of fresh and fruity flavours, uncompromising power and extraordinary yield potential. This remarkable hybrid is sweet, sticky, pumped up, highly potent and will leave growers gasping in awe at these high performing genetics.

Barney’s Farm have tamed this Sativa Dominant hybrid (60% Sativa, 40% Indica) and garnished it with huge dollops of glistening, sweet tropical fruit scented trichomes. A perfectly crafted marriage of Tropicanna (Girl Scout Cookies x Tangie) and a twist of Banana Kush infuses a calming Indica influence.

Let her effervescent personality guide you into a world of euphoric fizz and mystery. Tropicanna Banana is a highly vigorous plant, capable of delivering monster production when in the correct hands.

When growing Tropicanna Banana Indoors expect heights of up to 1.1m with yields of 700g / m2 (flowering in 65-70 days) outdoors yields of up to 2kg per plant are very achievable. THC levels of 22-25% ensure extraordinary therapeutic value and uplifting invigorating effects that will stay with you throughout the day.

1671026292988.png

Orange Hill Special by Dutch Passion
Orange Hill Special produces very generous, high quality yields with a fresh aroma and citrus flavour. Her scent can best be described as a mix of citrus fruit (lemon, orange, mandarin) and pine. In general, all phenotypes are quite citrus dominant in aroma. Some even smell exactly like oranges! These sweet but also sometimes sour scents are easy to recognise and will make you think of a tasty orange soft drink.

When the buds are crushed, the lemon scent comes out more strongly, and you will sometimes smell haze-like notes. It is a blend of spicy scents with sweet and sour overtones of lemon and orange. The taste is again citrus dominant with a kind of sweet and sour skunky twist, with notes of pine and earth. Anyone who likes an extremely fruity terpene profile should definitely give this strain a try!

1671026425191.png

Both strains require approximately the same environment and grow to the same kind of heights, I tried to pick two strains that will grow well together but only time will tell if that works out! Shout out to @Herbies Seeds for these, great service, price and lots of useful freebies with the order.

Progress so far:
1 of each strain was soaked for 24 hours in water, placed into wet paper towel inside ziplock bag and placed in a dark cupboard for approximately 48 hours now.

Both seeds have popped with a tiny taproot on display ready to be planted.

The SIPs have been prepped with 1 litre of water which has already been absorbed and they have both been filled again to approximately 1/3rd full, the seeds will be placed directly into the SIPs today.

Not loads to share right now but I will update with pictures as the days progress and this post along with my first journal will prove invaluable to me as a learning and comparison tool.

Thanks for reading, stay safe :rollit:

Intro
So my autos are almost in flower so I'm planning to use the 2x4 tent and the 4x4 tent to get a perpetual grow going on, I don't expect it to go smoothly as I haven't even seen the results of my first grow but I don't see any benefit in waiting. I want to be harvesting regularly enough to satiate my own massive consumption of cannabis and fingers crossed I can produce some nice smoke for myself.

Environment:
Veg in 2x4 @Mars Hydro tent with TSL2000 & clip on fans, humidifier and Exhale bag
20221107_231518-copy-jpg.2605030

Flower in 4x4 AC Infinity with @ViparSpectra KS5000, 2x ocilating fans, 2x floor fans & humidifier + Exhale bag
3142-copy-jpg.2615550

3143-copy-jpg.2615551

Medium:
BioBizz Light with EcoThrive Charge (Insect frass), @DYNOMYCO & 40% perlite

Container/Grow method:
5 gal with 2.5litre food container reservoir, perlite used to allow drainage hole to function for air gap
sip2-jpg.2617633

Nutrients:
GH Flora series with additional silica, fulvic acid, bio roots, bio protect etc and of course CalMag

I've not yet found a schedule to follow I planned to just use the advised amounts on the bottle and see how that goes but with a few weeks until I'll need to add them I'm not fully decided.

Lighting:
I plan to use much higher light settings after watching this video:
- Dr Bruce Bugbee uses a DLI of around 40 or 1000 umol right from the get go, way higher than I've seen advised elsewhere but I know he knows his stuff. I'm gonna test whether the theory holds and I am obviously somewhat anxious about light burn but I'm happy to lose a few seeds/weeks if needed.

The simple way I see it is more light = more growth so if the plants can handle it I'll be more than happy to give it to them.

Training:
I plan to try quadlining for the first time, theres so much info here and the final result looks ideal, I will be utilising the thread/guides HERE.

Strains:
Tropicanna Banana by Barneys Farm
Tropicanna Banana is another totally tantalising addition to our Cali collection. A mesmerising tropical cocktail of fresh and fruity flavours, uncompromising power and extraordinary yield potential. This remarkable hybrid is sweet, sticky, pumped up, highly potent and will leave growers gasping in awe at these high performing genetics.

Barney’s Farm have tamed this Sativa Dominant hybrid (60% Sativa, 40% Indica) and garnished it with huge dollops of glistening, sweet tropical fruit scented trichomes. A perfectly crafted marriage of Tropicanna (Girl Scout Cookies x Tangie) and a twist of Banana Kush infuses a calming Indica influence.

Let her effervescent personality guide you into a world of euphoric fizz and mystery. Tropicanna Banana is a highly vigorous plant, capable of delivering monster production when in the correct hands.

When growing Tropicanna Banana Indoors expect heights of up to 1.1m with yields of 700g / m2 (flowering in 65-70 days) outdoors yields of up to 2kg per plant are very achievable. THC levels of 22-25% ensure extraordinary therapeutic value and uplifting invigorating effects that will stay with you throughout the day.

1671026292988.png

Orange Hill Special by Dutch Passion
Orange Hill Special produces very generous, high quality yields with a fresh aroma and citrus flavour. Her scent can best be described as a mix of citrus fruit (lemon, orange, mandarin) and pine. In general, all phenotypes are quite citrus dominant in aroma. Some even smell exactly like oranges! These sweet but also sometimes sour scents are easy to recognise and will make you think of a tasty orange soft drink.

When the buds are crushed, the lemon scent comes out more strongly, and you will sometimes smell haze-like notes. It is a blend of spicy scents with sweet and sour overtones of lemon and orange. The taste is again citrus dominant with a kind of sweet and sour skunky twist, with notes of pine and earth. Anyone who likes an extremely fruity terpene profile should definitely give this strain a try!

1671026425191.png

Both strains require approximately the same environment and grow to the same kind of heights, I tried to pick two strains that will grow well together but only time will tell if that works out! Shout out to @Herbies Seeds for these, great service, price and lots of useful freebies with the order.

Progress so far:
1 of each strain was soaked for 24 hours in water, placed into wet paper towel inside ziplock bag and placed in a dark cupboard for approximately 48 hours now.

Both seeds have popped with a tiny taproot on display ready to be planted.

The SIPs have been prepped with 1 litre of water which has already been absorbed and they have both been filled again to approximately 1/3rd full, the seeds will be placed directly into the SIPs today.

Not loads to share right now but I will update with pictures as the days progress and this post along with my first journal will prove invaluable to me as a learning and comparison tool.

Thanks for reading, stay safe :rollit:
Great settings! Hope you gain a great harvest! :cheer:

sprout1.jpg
sprout2.jpg

First signs of life, tent is currently at 70%+rH and 25c, 1x Orange Hill Special baby and 1x Tropicanna Banana, adorable!

DLI is at 40, that's over 80% brightness on the TSL2000 from day 1.

Emailed Terra Aquatica (General Hydroponics EU version) for feed schedule which I'll post here:
1671537735975.png

Nothing too exciting to update but documenting the sizes/progress for future comparison.

Day 4 above ground
Orange Hill Seedling:
seed1.jpg

Tropicanna Banana Seedling:
seed2.jpg

Overview of tiny seedlings in 5gal SIPs:
seed3.jpg

Orange Hill Seedling seems to be a little droopy but I'm just waiting it out with these seedlings and basically testing both the seed straight into a SIP start and the high DLI from day 1, hopefully they grow big and strong!

Orange Hill:
sad_seedling.jpg

Tropicanna Banana:
happy_seedling.jpg

Container/Grow method:
Nice! Post a link to this thread over in #SIP Club so the crew can follow it over here.

Training:
Nice again! That's the training style I like. Nice compact plants with very good structure and pretty fast and easy compared to many other styles of training.

Orange Hill Seedling seems to be a little droopy but I'm just waiting it out with these seedlings and basically testing both the seed straight into a SIP start and the high DLI from day 1, hopefully they grow big and strong!
In SIP, we often get droopy plants for the first couple of weeks while the plants transition their roots, but it also can be a sign of too much light. Can you lower the plant some to test theory? Or maybe rig a sheet of paper over it to mellow the light for that one plant?

If it's the SIP structure itself, she'll grow out of it within a couple of weeks, but if it's a light issue that could set her back if its not addressed.

Thanks Azi, I'll defo post a link over there when I get a sec. You've shaped my grow journey pretty heavily you can see the SIP and training is Azi-influenced :)

I'll test a sheet of paper and see if that helps, not possible to lower but I can raise the light plenty no problems. The Tropicanna seems to be loving the light so hopefully that's not the issue. I'll put a piece of paper over 4 cocktail sticks and see if she perks up.

:ciao: @Weffalo first time growing Tropicanna Banana? I've been growing it for a while now got one seed from the vault before barney's even started selling it
I have cloned it about 6 time now
One of my favorite strains so far, has a taste like juicy fruit gum
Just posted a few pictures in my album if you wanna go check them out

:ciao: @Weffalo first time growing Tropicanna Banana? I've been growing it for a while now got one seed from the vault before barney's even started selling it
I have cloned it about 6 time now
One of my favorite strains so far, has a taste like juicy fruit gum
Just posted a few pictures in my album if you wanna go check them out
Hey Joe, thanks for popping in :D

Yes it's my first time growing any photoperiod actually, got some autos that are early/mid flower so should finish off my first grow just before these go into flower.

That's awesome your such a fan, the strain immediately appealed to me for it's taste profile and characteristics. I've never actually smoked either of these strains before but I'm a big fan of the parents of Orange Hill and the Tropicanna just sounds delicious :)

I checked those pictures out, if mine can look anything like those I'll be absolutely chuffed, they look incredible :D I'll have a read through your journals as soon as I get chance, lots of amazing people with amazing journals there's a lifetime of reading and information on this website, it's fantastic :D

An update on the seedlings, Orange Hill is looking very sickly I think, I'd need an expert opinion but to my eyes she doesn't look healthy. Tropicanna Banana is loving life and hasn't been droopy at all even with the SIP-start.

Small disclaimer: I have been feeding nutes already, never above 1/3rd res fill and nutes are low strength. Water was the only thing given for the first few days but with my lights on so high I wanted to make sure everything else the plant needed was available.

1671720817731.png

Everything but the Humic as I'm using Fulvic.

I tried the paper shade method to test if light might be the issue, I think my paper is too thick? I removed it for now as it seemed ineffective but there's definitely something at play with this baby.
paper_shade.jpg

Day 6 above ground!

Orange Hill Special:
sadseed1.jpg
sadseed2.jpg
sadseed3.jpg
sadseed4.jpg

Tropicanna Banana (Happy seedling !):
happyseed.jpg

happyseed2.jpg
happyseed3.jpg

So I'm thinking the damage was caused by the humidifier, my probe is playing up a bit and it's humidifying slightly too much, right next to the problem seedling so I switched the two plants around, turned the humidifier down slightly and redirected the vapour.

Seems to be doing a bit better today I think but it's hard to tell as it's clearly not had the best start to life.

Tropicanna Banana:
hp1.jpg
hp2.jpg
hp3.jpg

Orange Hill:
sd1.jpg
sd2.jpg
sd3.jpg

So I think the damaged baby is recovering but the problem is at what rate, and will the final plant be impacted? The damage seems pretty bad to be honest, something I'll definitely have to be more wary of in future, I moved the pots slightly so they have no chance of getting damaged by the humidifier now. I think that was the problem but obviously I can't 100% confirm.

The Tropicanna Banana is coming along amazingly so I'm worried that the Orange Hill may be badly stunted? I know photos can recover way better so I'm not ruling her out just yet.

There is a weird marking on the Tropicanna and I'm not sure what that is lol.

Day 11 above ground:
seedlings.jpg

Tropicanna Banana:
tropicannabanana1.jpg

tropicannabanana2.jpg
tropicannabanana3.jpg

Orange Hill:
orangehill1.jpg
orangehill2.jpg
orangehill3.jpg

Orange looks like she was overwatered at one time, with the light green grow in the center

Orange looks like she was overwatered at one time, with the light green grow in the center
None of them have really been watered that's why I think it's more the humidifier, if the steam was too close to the plant it would effectively be watering it with vapour?

They both are in the SIPs with 1/3rd full reservoir but it's not really been going down so it's not really being refilled just yet.

I'm hoping the new leaves come through undamaged and she recovers but at the same time if it's gonna lead to better yields/canopy I will just prioritise the tropicanna and veg it longer to try and fill out the space. I dont really want one plant that's weeks behind due to this mistake I think?

The little one's roots may not have found the increased moisture level yet so I'd probably give it a liitle nutrient water right down the stem to help. Not a lot because you want the roots drinking mostly out of the reservoir but the others have likely found it and this one will be left behind if it doesn't engage quickly.

The little one's roots may not have found the increased moisture level yet so I'd probably give it a liitle nutrient water right down the stem to help. Not a lot because you want the roots drinking mostly out of the reservoir but the others have likely found it and this one will be left behind if it doesn't engage quickly.
Ok I'll do that now and see how she gets on over the next day or so! :thanks:

Not looking great for the Orange Hill, thinking I'm gonna see how she recovers just out of interest but might use this as a "see how big we can get one plant" experiment as there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in size and that gap is gonna keep growing.

Increasing the nutes for the larger one, we're about 2 weeks on since planting now so I think it's okay to start filling the res above 1/3rd now?

Day 13 above soil:
seedlings5.jpg

Tropicanna Banana:
seedlings1.jpg
seedlings2.jpg

Orange Hill:
seedlings3.jpg
seedlings4.jpg

I find it generally takes a couple of weeks for the roots to convert over to the ones they'll need in the wetter mix we generally grow in. At two weeks you're right on the cusp of getting through that transition period.

I generally like to add whatever amount they will use in two or three days and keep track with a dip stick, but others just keep the reservoir full once they begin growing strongly. I'd probably give it another week or so before changing the water level too much.

I find it generally takes a couple of weeks for the roots to convert over to the ones they'll need in the wetter mix we generally grow in. At two weeks you're right on the cusp of getting through that transition period.

I generally like to add whatever amount they will use in two or three days and keep track with a distinct, but others just keep the reservoir full once they begin growing strongly. I'd probably give it another week or so before changing the water level too much.
Ok thanks Azi I'll wait another week, don't wanna do anything to risk the one strong plant now I'm gonna be real careful :D

Back
Top Bottom