Olddog Newtrick's Seedsman, Banana Jealousy, SIP/Quadline Comparative Grow

Yeah, I’ve read everything from, it’s normal to multiple deficiencies.
Constantly chasing deficiencies is getting old though, especially with as much as I’m feeding them. Either I need to get this schedule worked out or try a different nute line. With the size of the buds from the other grows, I’m pretty happy with the results. I think I just need to tweak the way I do things a bit.
Deficiencies should be a 4 letter word. LOL
I have to go back and see how you are doing watering and feeding, do you feed when you water....or the feed a different schedule?
oops, wait...you are doing SIP. I am totally unfamiliar with that.

The only thing that comes to mind for me when the leaves start turning that light to lime green is a nitrogen deficiency.
The top soil looks pretty dry, but if you are confident they've had enough watering then that's good.
Let's see what others say, I have had nitrogen troubles in past grows that looked like this.
Agreed. Small nitrogen need. Coffee grounds and banana peel water.

Let me throw in a thought.

First off, I believe the easiest way to combat nutrient deficiencies is to stay with in the stage parameters of the plant.

That being said, SIP is kind of like a off spring of Soil and DWC. So when growing you will need to take both parameters together into consideration.

On my current two SIP I always adjust my solution PH to 6.0 - 6.2. Reason being I want the root to be able to uptake nutrients while the bottom roots are saturated in solution. I also, cool my solution down to 70 degrees or a little less. This temperature seems to work best with the lower roots.

Every grow I do no matter what the medium is; I add one teaspoon of cal-mag per gallon of water/solution. Many growers will disagrees with this, but they need to take into account that LED lights drain magnesium out of your plant during the grow cycles. I think this is what brings on calcium problems next.

This is just a thought.

Tok..

That’s what I’ve been doing all along exactly. Ph 6.3, my water is an R.O. Unit that fills a 5 gallon bucket under the sink in a basement. It’s a steady 66-67 (the basement never sees above 74) degrees. I add cal mag to any water that goes in, without being a feed mix. I guess I’m going to add it to the feed mixes now as well. Now that I think of it, the initial fill of the sip may not have had cal mag but, the half gallon top water I did at the same time definitely did..
The plan is to do smaller feedings more often once I get the plants drinking well. I’m gonna do maybe a half gallon mix tonight on each and try to bump the nitrogen a bit more. I’ll add some cal mag directly to the sip res.

Coffee grounds are such a useful little gardeners tool. I just put this mornings' spent coffee grounds in some substrate mix for my shrooms. They are supposed to add nitrogen and phosphorus, among other things. All I know is it seems to really help with the shroom growth.
I only drink coffee when I’m working so, I don’t have it readily on hand.

Let me throw in a thought.

First off, I believe the easiest way to combat nutrient deficiencies is to stay with in the stage parameters of the plant.

That being said, SIP is kind of like a off spring of Soil and DWC. So when growing you will need to take both parameters together into consideration.

On my current two SIP I always adjust my solution PH to 6.0 - 6.2. Reason being I want the root to be able to uptake nutrients while the bottom roots are saturated in solution. I also, cool my solution down to 70 degrees or a little less. This temperature seems to work best with the lower roots.

Every grow I do no matter what the medium is; I add one teaspoon of cal-mag per gallon of water/solution. Many growers will disagrees with this, but they need to take into account that LED lights drain magnesium out of your plant during the grow cycles. I think this is what brings on calcium problems next.

This is just a thought.

Tok..
This put a light bulb above my head. I've never had to add Cal/mag so early on in a grow before. But.....I'm using major LED lighting now that I never used before. This could be a valid reason for that. Thanks @Tokin Roll for that possible explanation.

Deficiencies should be a 4 letter word. LOL
I have to go back and see how you are doing watering and feeding, do you feed when you water....or the feed a different schedule?
oops, wait...you are doing SIP. I am totally unfamiliar with that.
I was doing separate water and feeds. My nutes are liquid nutes though. I thinks that’s where my problem has been in the past. I was originally told half doses and to water,water,feed.
Well, that schedule led to overwatering and nute deficiency trying to get food in em so, I went full doses, then alternated water and feed but, it took so long to dry back still that I was a little deficient. The sips are a new thing I’m trying to combat it all. They get the water themselves and I’ll add nutes twice a week.
They just need to get acclimated to this sip and drinking well, and I’m hoping we’ll be good from there out.

Banana peel water is a homemade fertilizer that can be used to water plants. The peels release nutrients like potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, and calcium into the water, which can help plants grow healthy.
To make banana peel water, you can:
Cut banana peels into 1–2 in pieces
Put the peels in a container and cover them with water
Steep the peels for 2–3 days, stirring occasionally
Strain the liquid into a jar or large container
Dilute the liquid with five parts water
You can also add crushed eggshells and a spoonful of Epsom salts to the mixture.
To use the water, pour it around the base of the plant to reach the roots. You can also spray the leaves and branches with the mixture to deter aphids.
You can use boiled water instead of distilled water, as chlorine can be harmful to plants. You can also use rain water or well water.
After making the water, you can add the strained peels to your compost bin, bokashi, or worm farm, or bury them in the soil of your garden or potted plants.

Yeah sometimes I think the light drains the plants..I don't know enough to back it up or really explain what I'm saying. They'll get white spots or something like that here or there. Kinda in the same aspect of how a cigarette smoker lacks potassium from the cigarette smoking. Make sense? I'm not sure I'm on the same thread as I was.. 😆

The purple edges could be a couple of things, phosphorus deficiency or watering issues. It's so iffy sometimes. :rolleyes:
Or as OG said, magnesium.
If it's a P issue that could also be a temperature issue as our plants have a hard time uptaking P in cooler temps. Some growers deliberately cool their grow space down for the pretty colors but, since it's a sign of deficiency, I've never seen the point of causing an issue deliberately.

If it's a P issue that could also be a temperature issue as our plants have a hard time uptaking P in cooler temps. Some growers deliberately cool their grow space down for the pretty colors but, since it's a sign of deficiency, I've never seen the point of causing an issue deliberately.
The controller keeps it below 80 and the room is 74 so, I wouldn’t think temp is an issue. Even during a freak cold spell this winter it didn’t get below 65.
I fed them a quart each at 1500 ppm tonight.
Went a little heavier on the tiger bloom 2-8-4
And open sesame 5-45-19
I’ll wait about 3 days and hit em again with the same

The controller keeps it below 80 and the room is 74 so, I wouldn’t think temp is an issue. Even during a freak cold spell this winter it didn’t get below 65.
I fed them a quart each at 1500 ppm tonight.
Went a little heavier on the tiger bloom 2-8-4
And open sesame 5-45-19
I’ll wait about 3 days and hit em again with the same
Just curious, does your feeding chart for Tiger Bloom say it can be used during veg stage?

Just curious, does your feeding chart for Tiger Bloom say it can be used during veg stage?
Good catch! And good morning! it was actually the grow big @ 6-4-4 I went heavier on.
Tiger bloom will get added first week of flower… chart shows week 5 which we are at but, they really don’t count the seedling/ germ stages
Their timeline is kinda weird.

Good catch! And good morning! it was actually the grow big @ 6-4-4 I went heavier on.
Tiger bloom will get added first week of flower… chart shows week 5 which we are at but, they really don’t count the seedling/ germ stages
Their timeline is kinda weird.
Whew! I was sure when I used to use the Tiger Bloom it was only during flower. I had to ask.
Good Morning to you as well!

The chart for FF is weird for sure. I have 2 FF charts. One actually shows that your to repeat week 4 and 8? I personally find their feeding chart confusing.
Yeah, for extended veg and flower they just repeat 4 and 8.

Seems like the girls have adapted to the sip and are drinking well. The limp sogginess has improved dramatically and the res dropped significantly today. I’ll feed em and top of the res again tomorrow. They are growing good!
I’ve run out of room to spread them out so, I’ve either gotta extend some supports out past the rim of the bucket, or start letting them grow up.
Ideally, I’d like em to be a bit wider to fill the 2x4.

IMG_3362.jpeg

IMG_3363.jpeg

IMG_3364.jpeg

IMG_3365.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom