420BakeIt - Blueberry Muffins Ft SIP & KS5000

Welcome all to my third journal and third grow.

My 2nd grow has been a monumental success in comparison to my first, I think I'll struggle to pull off such an improvement with this one but lessons are always being learned so you never know.

This grow I decided to change a few things up for faster harvests. I have changed from two 5gal SIPs to four 3gal SIPs which only just squeeze into my 4x2 tent, I plan to veg these for only 4 weeks from sprout and then flip where they go into the 4x4 and under the @ViparSpectra KS5000 (Highly recommend this light if you like even canopies & don't like problems with heat).

With the switch of strain to Blueberry Muffin which only has a 45 day flower time, I'm hoping I can shave off a month or more on the next few harvests and also much more easily fill the 4x4 canopy with four evenly spaced plants. I also plan to take cuttings of each of these so I can store Bonsai Mothers of each pheno and save the best one.

Strain

Blueberry Muffins by Humboldt Seed Company

I first tried this strain back in 2017/2018 and it was import from Cali, grown to absolute perfection. It is incredibly terpy, tastey and in my opinion is very true to the name. It's definitely something I could smoke for a few months without getting bored and that is the plan! The fact it's only 45 days flower time (Not guaranteed of course) is a massive bonus.

Here's some further info:
1680688251971.png

1680688271122.png

Equipment & Nutes:
4x 3Gal DIY SIPs
4x2 Mars Hydro Tent (Veg, with MH TSL2000)
4x4 ACI setup (Flower, with @ViparSpectra KS5000)
T.A TriPart Nutes
Supplements: CalMag, Silica, Fulvic, Seaweed
Heaters, humidifiers, dehueys, AC when needed.
newsip_6-jpg.2660831

Seeds were popped around 20 days ago, all placed into a glass of tap water and then sat on a seedling heating mat, all germinated within a few days and were planted into the SIPs you see above.
newsip_4-jpg.2660829

Day 1
blueberrymuffins_1-jpg.2662502

Day 3:
seedling2.jpg

Day 11
blueberrymuffins_day11_2.jpg

Day 18 (Today)
blueberrymuffins_day15_1.jpg
blueberrymuffins_day15_2.jpg
blueberrymuffins_day15_3.jpg
blueberrymuffins_day15_4.jpg

Today they will be topped above node 4 and nodes 1 and 2 will be removed (See: QuadSquad)

They aren't looking as healthy and happy as they could, training starts today so I'm gonna keep an eye on them and hopefully get them praying soon. I had issues getting my environment to the right heat and had to add a second heater to the space but now they are basking in 29.8c/72% rH, they have at least another week before flip and I may add another week onto that to be safe.

That's all for now, I'll update as and when, any questions just let me know! :cheer: :passitleft:

Tags below, follow along or check in when you have time with absolutely no obligation to do so! I appreciate all the support and advice I've received from everyone here and attribute all of my success so far to that, thanks @420 for a fantastic website and helping build a fantastic community.

@Azimuth @Carmen Ray @StoneOtter @InTheShed @Skunksta @Buds Buddy @NickHardy @CaptainLucky @Joe Brewster @RedskinnedRhino @Roy Growin @farside05 @Bill284 @013 @Pat Puffer @lootznbootz

Please tag me back in your grows so I can follow along if I'm not already! I'm sure I missed people so no offence intended and if you find this, feel free to join in :green_heart:

Congrats on the new grow Weff. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with those clones. I too want to learn how to store bonsai clones. I'm interested to see you plant your seeds directly into the big sips, rather than starting them in small pots / solos and up-potting. I might do the same with my swicks this next run. Not sure. I did them in mini-swicks last grow and up-potted. Will you explain your preference?

Congrats on the new grow Weff. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with those clones. I too want to learn how to store bonsai clones. I'm interested to see you plant your seeds directly into the big sips, rather than starting them in small pots / solos and up-potting. I might do the same with my swicks this next run. Not sure. I did them in mini-swicks last grow and up-potted. Will you explain your preference?

Hey @Carmen Ray - Thanks for being here! I did it this way as it's the same way as I did with my last grow, which didn't experience stalling or any delays in growing from seed. Critically you need to prep the SIP so the moisture gradient is ready and waiting for the roots to find it. The issues with them stalling come I believe (Based on what I've read from other members experiences) the fact SIPs use different thin feeder roots to your normal thicker, top feeding roots. If your seedling is creating the correct roots to begin with then the theory goes there won't be an adjustment period where the roots adapt to a different way of feeding.

Whether that's all fact or speculation I can't say of course but in my experience I've not had the seedling stalls in SIPs that others mention, and I follow @ReservoirDog (Oh god, I just realised someone I forgot to tag :rofl:) SIP preparation instructions (and don't forget part 2 a few posts after).

I'm not sure how easily any of that translates to SWICKs sorry but hopefully there's something useful to be gleaned :rofl:

My 2nd grow has been a monumental success in comparison to my first, I think I'll struggle to pull off such an improvement with this one but lessons are always being learned so you never know.

This grow I decided to change a few things up for faster harvests. I have changed from two 5gal SIPs to four 3gal SIPs which only just squeeze into my 4x2 tent, I plan to veg these for only 4 weeks from sprout and then flip where they go into the 4x4 and under the @ViparSpectra KS5000 (Highly recommend this light if you like even canopies & don't like problems with heat).

With the switch of strain to Blueberry Muffin which only has a 45 day flower time, I'm hoping I can shave off a month or more on the next few harvests and also much more easily fill the 4x4 canopy with four evenly spaced plants. I also plan to take cuttings of each of these so I can store Bonsai Mothers of each pheno and save the best one.

Strain

I first tried this strain back in 2017/2018 and it was import from Cali, grown to absolute perfection. It is incredibly terpy, tastey and in my opinion is very true to the name. It's definitely something I could smoke for a few months without getting bored and that is the plan! The fact it's only 45 days flower time (Not guaranteed of course) is a massive bonus.

1680688251971.png

1680688271122.png

Equipment & Nutes:
4x 3Gal DIY SIPs
T.A TriPart Nutes
newsip_6-jpg.2660831

Seeds were popped around 20 days ago, all placed into a glass of tap water and then sat on a seedling heating mat, all germinated within a few days and were planted into the SIPs you see above.
newsip_4-jpg.2660829

Day 1

Day 3:
seedling2.jpg

Day 11

Day 18 (Today)

Today they will be topped above node 4 and nodes 1 and 2 will be removed (See: QuadSquad)

They aren't looking as healthy and happy as they could, training starts today so I'm gonna keep an eye on them and hopefully get them praying soon. I had issues getting my environment to the right heat and had to add a second heater to the space but now they are basking in 29.8c/72% rH, they have at least another week before flip and I may add another week onto that to be safe.

That's all for now, I'll update as and when, any questions just let me know! :cheer: :passitleft:

Tags below, follow along or check in when you have time with absolutely no obligation to do so! I appreciate all the support and advice I've received from everyone here and attribute all of my success so far to that, thanks @420 for a fantastic website and helping build a fantastic community.

@Azimuth @Carmen Ray @StoneOtter @InTheShed @Skunksta @Buds Buddy @NickHardy @CaptainLucky @Joe Brewster @RedskinnedRhino @Roy Growin @farside05 @Bill284 @013 @Pat Puffer @lootznbootz

Please tag me back in your grows so I can follow along if I'm not already! I'm sure I missed people so no offence intended and if you find this, feel free to join in :green_heart:
The SIP master in action. :woohoo:
Great start.
Thanks for the Tag my friend.

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

The SIP master in action. :woohoo:
Great start.
Thanks for the Tag my friend.

Bill284 😎
Thanks a lot Bill, I'm wayyyy behind on your journal but I'm due some big days off this week and I'll check in on you and Howie soon. Keen to see how that custom room is performing! Hope your doing well mate!

like the running from seed in the big pot idea for sips. interested in seeing how a 3 gallon does. what's the media ?

Thanks a lot Bill, I'm wayyyy behind on your journal but I'm due some big days off this week and I'll check in on you and Howie soon. Keen to see how that custom room is performing! Hope your doing well mate!
No worries Amigo. :high-five:
Take care.

Bill284 😎

Strain

1680688251971.png

1680688271122.png

Equipment & Nutes:
4x 3Gal DIY SIPs
T.A TriPart Nutes
newsip_6-jpg.2660831

newsip_4-jpg.2660829

Day 1

Day 3:
seedling2.jpg

Day 11

Day 18 (Today)

:popcorn: CL🍀

like the running from seed in the big pot idea for sips. interested in seeing how a 3 gallon does. what's the media ?
Knew I missed something in the original post... :rofl:

Medium is 30% Perlite & 70% BioBizz Light Mix soil, added frass & Dynomyco

Looking good Weffers - interested to see how your SIP works out
:hookah: :nomo:
Cheers mate I'm feeling positive 🤞

:passitleft: :welcome:
@Weffalo thanks for the tag. I'm in.
Nice to have you here @farside05 :welcome:

So if you thought it was too smooth sailing up until now, you'd be right :rofl: I'm the master of my own demise and I have cut one of my babies, unfortunately it's not just the leaf but part of the node so I may have ruined the quadline on one plant, curious to see what others think?

I repaired the broken stem with tape but there's no repair the start of the next stem that I unfortunately abused with a blade.

I finished the training and checked my pictures and that's when I realised I'd messed up :rofl: Ah well, be an interesting experiment to see how this one does now.

There's also two plants with very bent over stems, I'm guessing too much water when I was sealing them in and I displaced the seed!

See at the top farthest stem, there's a large gauge in it and if you zoom in closely you can see the next stem that was emerging decapitated too :rofl: :
messedup.jpg

Here's the repair:
oops.jpg

Rest of the quadline effort:
quadline_1.jpg
quadline_2.jpg
quadline_3.jpg

quadline_4.jpg
quadline_5.jpg
quadline_6.jpg
quadline_7.jpg
quadline_8.jpg

So if you thought it was too smooth sailing up until now, you'd be right :rofl: I'm the master of my own demise and I have cut one of my babies, unfortunately it's not just the leaf but part of the node so I may have ruined the quadline on one plant, curious to see what others think?

I repaired the broken stem with tape but there's no repair the start of the next stem that I unfortunately abused with a blade.

I finished the training and checked my pictures and that's when I realised I'd messed up :rofl: Ah well, be an interesting experiment to see how this one does now.

There's also two plants with very bent over stems, I'm guessing too much water when I was sealing them in and I displaced the seed!

See at the top farthest stem, there's a large gauge in it and if you zoom in closely you can see the next stem that was emerging decapitated too :rofl: :
messedup.jpg

Here's the repair:
oops.jpg

Rest of the quadline effort:
quadline_1.jpg
quadline_2.jpg
quadline_3.jpg

quadline_4.jpg
quadline_5.jpg
quadline_6.jpg
quadline_7.jpg
quadline_8.jpg
That's what my coach always said.
" Tape it up and get back in the game " Nice Save :thumb:
Just be very careful when it's time to remove it.
Hope everything is going well my friend.
Take care.

Bill284 😎

Hey, a tri-line will free up a little more space in the tent!

Also, remember what I mentioned in the other thread about diluting the flowering nutes with 65% water? Given how big they are already I'm thinking start at 50/50 and read the leaves from there. I'm curious if @farside05 feels the same...
That's it mate, gives me more flexibility with space :rofl:

They are still drinking what I fed them the first time, was the first 100% fill of the res and it took I think two weeks to drain last grow. I'll definitely refill with the 50% strength when it runs dry thanks mate 🙏

I broke both main nodes trying to do a mainline 3 days too late, they heal up good, you'll be fine.
I think this one is past healing :rofl: I've removed the 4th node and I shall let the three flourish, it'll be a fun experiment on training three instead of four.

That's what my coach always said.
" Tape it up and get back in the game " Nice Save :thumb:
Just be very careful when it's time to remove it.
Hope everything is going well my friend.
Take care.

Bill284 😎
Words of wisdom Bill, I think my stem graft was done far too poorly as this morning the leaf was almost wilted entirely and sad lying in the dirt. No worries, three limbs is plenty and won't slow her down I'm sure :D

I couldn't sleep last night thinking I'd messed up the quadline further than just this one limb... I was almost convinced I'd have to start again today lol... I think I was just being paranoid but I'm gonna be soooooo careful in future grows and not get ahead of myself, a healthy fear of messing up is a good thing :rofl:

It's to do with the nodes and the leaves, for some reason my head can't wrap around it still and I'm not convinced that it's done right, I'll just have to watch them grow and hopefully my brain can finally grasp how the plant changes at this stage.

Here's how they are looking today, day 19, and a bonus pic of my Tropicanna Banana clone taken in flower, that revegged and now needs to be taken care of so she doesn't grow too big :D

day19_blueberrymuffins_1.jpg
day19_blueberrymuffins_2.jpg
day19_blueberrymuffins_3.jpg
day19_blueberrymuffins_4.jpg
day19_blueberrymuffins_5.jpg

bonsaimother_tropban.jpg

Humidity got a bit low last night and they look a bit worse for wear today, hopefully no big issue.

I've got the tent at 29.8c and it takes two heaters to get there, but some of the leaves are showing signs that the heat is too high. I reduced it to 29c and will keep an eye on things.

Filled with the new nutrients, 50% of the flower mix @InTheShed, EC read 1.35 when I checked.

Day 21:
bluebmuffins_day21_1.jpg
bluebmuffins_day21_2.jpg
bluebmuffins_day21_3.jpg
bluebmuffins_day21_4.jpg

I've got the tent at 29.8c and it takes two heaters to get there, but some of the leaves are showing signs that the heat is too high. I reduced it to 29c and will keep an eye on things.
Unless you're supplementing with CO2 you don't need to work to keep it that high. 27°C is fine.
Filled with the new nutrients, 50% of the flower mix @InTheShed, EC read 1.35 when I checked
They look great!

Back
Top Bottom