hps/cmh to led

bioman

greetings,

i have been growing a while and during those 30 odd years one of my biggest problem has been the threat of fire from hot globes etcetera. fortunately, i've never had one but it's always a concern that i could do without so, i've decided to make the switch to led's to help assuage my paranoia and lessen heat related issues.

the wealth of information or rather misinformation abounding on the internet in reference to leds is troublesome. i seek the advice of successful led growers for suggestions on what would be suitable for my setup. i appreciate any advice forthcoming.

my space is 5' x 2'6". i would much prefer lights that i can use from start to finish.

would i be better off getting 2 or 3 separate smaller led panels rather than 1 large one for this particular grow footprint?

what brands appear to be in front research wise or any models with efficiency/efficacy greater than the norm?

my budget is i'm prepared to pay for a quality value for $$$'s product.

thanks.

hey all, i've pretty much decided to go with a couple of these Area 51 SGS-160's

jeff from area 51 was very helpful. the man went out of his way to help with my questions. the discount given to me on both the lights and international shipping costs will save me some good $$$$'s and was basically an all round nice thing to do. i am impressed with a51's customer service.

thanks

Hi Bioman,

Sorry no one responded to you more quickly, but Welcome to 420 magazine and community of like minded individuals that gathers here! Glad to have you on board.

We do have an active member here that most would consider the "resident expert" on LED lighting, named Hosebomber. I'm not sure how active (if at all) another member named Stevehman is but he has an excellent post on LED lighting and suggests some questions one might want answered before investing in LED lighting. Stevehman's LED Buyer's Guide

Would love to follow along in a grow with you once your lights arrive should you choose to start a journal and share.

Be well and happy growing.

good day all, thank you for your response sarah. i have bought a couple a51 sg-160's.

however, i have an additional small grow area of 30"x30" that i am considering changing to led. i am not looking for freebies sarah, but a price break on equipment used for comparative purposes might be helpful.

electricity has become very expensive in australia, (last bill was $800) so i am searching for viable cheaper alternatives and led seems to be leading the way.

thank you tanr, my lights will be here anon just in time for flower break. i will run a journal on the progress.

bioM

good day all, hello sara thanks for your reply. i really don't want to muck about with separate units sara. just a single unit that does both veg and flower to compare fairly with the a51 sg's.
my regards, bioM

Hi BioM,

If you only want one light with vege and bloom function, please use our reflector lights(green casing one ). it has growth and bloom switches. when you grow, only turn the grow switch on. when plants begin to flower, you can turn both switch on. one moment, upload a picture here.

good day all, thank you for your attention sara.

i looked at your product and my initial impressions of your unit is that i will go with another a51.

i appreciate your efforts sara but no sale.

bioM

quick comment; us postal service must be pretty appalling. after almost a week my product is still sitting in america. pretty shabby service and this delay is most unwelcome.
bioM

Ha.........your not from around these parts are ya?:yikes:
Our postal system is pretty efficient until it comes to something you need FAST.
In this particular case.......the system seems to know you needed it yesterday and thus they further delay your parcel to make you sweat it out.:bitingnails:
But then when your just about at wits ends..........like magic, it appears on your doorstep in a tattered and distressed box.
At least thats my expierence with the USPS..........And im in the US
I feel for ya ......

hahaha! made me laugh and mate, like your nick :) funny.
gear still has to get to ozstralia so i'm looking at least another week and most probably more. arghhh!
bioM

Hang in there Bio..........the LED's are worth the wait!
This is my 1st grow with them and things are turning out pretty well.
Im hardly an expert on them.....but they seem to work MUCH better in Veg.
I screwed up my veg by putting them too close to the plant........and the plant didnt stretch much at all!
She was only 12" by 6-7 weeks from seed......but very wide and thick.
Im about 5 weeks into flower now and she's looking pretty good for such a short girl.
I still have about 3-4 weeks left for the flowers to thicken up............Looks like I should get a few OZ's from her maybe more depending on how much the buds swell.................fingers crossed;)

hello all, well my lights aren't here yet but they are somewhere in australia. in the meantime i've been doing a bit of research for a light for the 30x 30 inch space.

the advanced led ds200 seem to be pretty good with a very good reputation and positive reviews from users. any local views on this 420 folk?

if nothing else it'll be interesting to do comparative grows under a51 sg 160 advanced ds 200 probably been done somewhere so i'll search before i commit to anything. :)

hello all, i do however have something that may interest folk. waiting for my leds i have had to bung together an veg area using 2 x 400 w hid... one is a name brand cmh which i can't remember the brand name of :) other is an 400w (430) son t agro hps

the difference is marked between the two. 1 ice and 1 el nino under hps and the same under cmh... the hps wins hands down.

i'll post some pics when i get the op to take some.

bioM

hello, i'm delighted that my sg 160's arrived. american post in cooperation with australia post did a pretty average job of speedy delivery. i usually average 8 days delivery time from the u.s. this was almost 3 weeks!

no matter, i have them now and i'm stoked. heat issues instantly gone and initial impession is that they grow well and the plants look happy :)

i see they're out of stock again... i was about to order another, but the time till i could actually get another in my hot little hands would be a minimum of more than a month. they (a51) are clearly doing very well for a reason... excellent lights!

bioM

SGS-160 uses Cree Cool White and Cree 630nm for their spectrum. This is easily reproduced. If you can make an LED panel yourself you can make an SGS-160 for cheaper by shopping around.

CMH/CDM is very, very interesting, as is LEP if you can stomach the price.

Enjoy the A51 panels, they are top notch.

thanks bumpin, the sg's are what i expected and are just a ripper of an advance. unfortunately i am not at all handy and the thought of making my own ... well "shiver me timbers" springs to mind. you would be amazed at the difficulty i have doing anything remotely construction like. making a screen for scrog almost led to a nervous breakdown lol. i have this crazy thing for symmetry... i know it's mad but i can't help myself. if thing aren't in line or symmetrical i spin out a bit. mad as a meat axe :)

it took several days + for some plant's to adjust to the new lighting. 20" above canopy at this early stage appears to be my current sweet spot. at 18" above the canopy, the plants looked a bit stressed and washed out. of course time will bring with it more adjustments.

very happy with the sg-160's but when they were out of stock i looked around... i am very much considering this NEW - Diamond Series XML - 10W CREE XML - Advanced LED Grow Lights for my smaller area. both lights have great reputations. any thoughts?

bioM

Back
Top Bottom