COB - Chip On Board - LED Lights

Taihara

In my first genuine attempt in 20 years to grow cannabis, I recently purchased a 2'6" x 2'6" x 6' Grow tent ...
And a Mars II 400 LED...

However I have since read a few promotional/sales articles on COB lighting. It purports to offer advantages on top of existing LED technology, but does not appear to specifically compare benefits.

I also noticed that one comparison between LED and COB LED is that the Mars II 400w LED is rated at 8673 Lumens, and the LushPro 400w LED (COB) has a rating of 99,600 Lumens. Does this even sound right?

I am fascinated by new technology and am considering an additional lighting purchase...

Could someone please advise the advantages of COB LED over LED.....:thanks:

Taihara

Sorry I can't help you, but wanted to welcome you to this site. Most of people are experts here. I'm sure someone will answer your post in a short time.
Good Luck.

Thanks for your welcome pete2.
Having read dozens of articles on 420 Magazine, I'm similarly confident that there are experts in this field.

Its a pretty closed place you wont get much traction unless you post about sponsored lights here.

Thanks for the info kotobide...

I didn't realise that we can't discuss products that aren't sponsored by 420 Magazine. If that's the case, can I change my example to compare the Mars II 400 LED (8,673 Lumens) with the Raysace4000 COB LED (63,000 Lumens). I see 420 advertises both so I'm assuming there is no conflict.

But to be clear, I'm interested in the technology that makes COB appear to be a new innovation, not the brand names. I use these merely as an indication to others as to what I am comparing.

Blurple single diodes are really old tech and COBS are the natural progression in LED lighting.

The DIY people are making huge strides with cobs on other forums google SupraSPL and led.

No,

Not all COBS are equal. Cree and Bridgelux put out some very high efficient COBS while other companies like epistar and no name chinese COBs you find on ebay do not.

Without the high level of efficiency you are really better off with HID lighting.

These are both sponsored lights.... not their latest light, but it is a comparison of two lights with about the same power draw....
DS 200 LED Grow Light vs TopLED MARS II 400

Thankyou for pointing me to the above comparison Dr, although this compares different brands of LED, neither of which is a COB LED.

I'm really trying to ascertain the practical benefits of COB LED over standard LED. Advertisers generally point out to COB LED as an improvement in technology without offering specifics. They say that COB is 10 -15 % "better" than standard LED, without much explanation. Its these specific advantages I'm attempting to uncover to decide whether COB is a worthy investment in growing.

P.S. (Dr Fish) Is the avatar your dog? What breed?

Back
Top Bottom