Need help understanding COB-LED vs normal LED

My thread just got hijacking! No but i see your guys point. Anyways any tips on where to start? Like how do i figure out how many COBS i need for a 4x2x5. And how to pick the right cob? I did see some youtube guy sad that around 1400 amp is the sweep spot to be in. But then you work your diver around. How many COB's you will have. Okey.... well how many cobs do i need then. LUL :D

Also how do i figure out to get the most light spectrum and light penetration for my bucks? I Grow for personal use but my space is small. So i want to maximize yield.

I have also seen that you can convert your existing LED to something better. But that just sounds like impossible at this point. :p

I am coming to near the end of all my research and am close to doing my very first grow......lights is my final decision. Right now I am keen on either building DIY or buying a COB frame for a 4x4 flower area, growing in coco pots....I have 5 x 4x4 to flower but will start with one 4x4 to do my first grow. The Bridgelux Vero 29 is on the radar....., half cobs 3500k at 90 color and half at 3500k at 80 light color. What is confusing and I am trying to get my head around on the cobs is at what wattage to run the cobs and how many. I am thinking 9-10 cobs because I want even light distribution and an even "drenching" of light over the whole canopy. Using height over the canopy and a dimmer will assist with the different light at different stages.

Can someone tell me if it is the driver size choice and how many chips per driver that gives the chip a 50w, 75w or 100w output or does one buy a particular wattage sized chip?

Can someone tell me if it is the driver size choice and how many chips per driver that gives the chip a 50w, 75w or 100w output or does one buy a particular wattage sized chip?

It's a bit more complicated than that. The driver and COBs need to be matched, and the choice of running the COBs in series or in parallel impacts the system design. If you don't have the time or inclination to fully educate yourself the best bet is to duplicate a commercial design. You still save money and know that it'll work the way you want it to.

do yourself a favor and bypass cob and go with quantum....

Or Samsungs! I'm digging the hell out of my new lights. Four FB24B strips mated to an HLG-600H-48A driver kicks some serious ass for not much money. They deliver 1200ppfd with ease without burning the plants... unless you let the plants grow up into the lights. LOL

Okay......understand:Namaste:......I will dig down on the site and read up on the different cob/driver configurations and why......the constant current and constant voltage....series and parallel.....run away voltage etc.......Maybe get hold of my local lighting consultant for a crash course. I want to understand the technology completely before I commit to the lighting and capital required.

Mountain Goat, you're a man of my own heart. The time you spend understanding how it all works is well spent. This forum is a bit bereft of technical info as it appeals to the new growers, so after you've exhausted the resources here you may want to check out the RollItUp forums for deeper insight into designing an led system. But then come back here because we're good people and the 420 forums are a family.

ha ha.....thanks.........it's a journey.....I read all the sites.....but 420 is where i have registered.....members generally have a very good mindset and I like the atmosphere.

Now I need to also check out the quantums and strips. Sanlights made in Austria/Germany also do an interesting light....being in South Africa.....throws quite a few curved balls on equipment availability, shipping and exchange rate.....but we try.

Check out GrowMau5 videos on YouTube. Good info for someone interested in making an LED light system.

That is the guy, but it still a bit to technical for me. Also so if i can read it, i have an app that can translate it to my native languish is a bit easier. :)

do yourself a favor and bypass cob and go with quantum....
I like your choice of growing in coco
good luck bro

oh is that the blocks that are packed with like 4342342 gesilion smaller LED. Like a frame you can chain-connect?

That is the guy, but it still a bit to technical for me. Also so if i can read it, i have an app that can translate it to my native languish is a bit easier. :)

I have just sat through a couple of hour of watching his videos......pausing the video....making notes.....re-winding and listening again etc.....with me I really needs a couple of runs at it....to grasp process and understand.......but I seem to have the gist of the technicalities as to how it all works.....now I want to cost a system using Bridgelux EB boards....or....... Samsung F series boards (expensive)....... or......a COB configuration.........:thanks:

Cobs and Quantum boards are pretty much the same thing. Clusters of miniature light producing diodes. Cobs have added lenses. I chose COBS because they most evenly cover my 3'by 3' area with easy to get to dimmer pots. I have a COB in each corner. The light cross lighting of all 4 COB's add up in the center. My tent area is evenly covered at any intensity I choose. My COB'S are fully adjustable for small changes as the plants grow. My COB system is water proof, built like a tank and have diffuser lenses so they can get closer to the plants.

Quantum boards would be hot in the center unless you used 4 of them. One in each corner. If you build your own you have to use heat sinks and come up with some type of practical design.:morenutes:

Yip.....currently agreeing with you and leaning toward Vero cobs......the science just makes so much sense....and they make clean robust build. I need to design on 4x4 canopy area.....although it is a bit more expensive .......will run the chips "softly" for efficient lumens but more cob units.

Yip.....currently agreeing with you and leaning toward Vero cobs......the science just makes so much sense....and they make clean robust build. I need to design on 4x4 canopy area.....although it is a bit more expensive .......will run the chips "softly" for efficient lumens but more cob units.

I have everything need to order saved on a note sheet. I just recently built my 12cob fixture a few months ago.

...now I want to cost a system using Bridgelux EB boards....or....... Samsung F series boards (expensive)....... or......a COB configuration.........:thanks:
If you wade through my LED strip thread you'll find that building equal systems is cheaper with FB24Bs than it is with Cree CXB3590s.

If you wade through my LED strip thread you'll find that building equal systems is cheaper with FB24Bs than it is with Cree CXB3590s.

Agreed. Samsung are nice technology. I'm going to have a tent of each to have a side by side .

The problem with all these commercial box unit LED's is they have all the COBS and other LED's bunched up under the box. So as you go out from the center they go from "too much light" to "not enough light" very quickly. I just want an evenly covered area that I can adjust the intensity to whatever is required.

My stunted plants are all taking off now and I'm still at only 100 watts. I was considering turning it up a notch but one of the plants wilts by the end of the light cycle.

I can no longer post up my pictures of my grow? Must be down for maintenance. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Don't know much best thing I could give is this I'm learning myself so I'll shit up and share things I find cool?
42aa52b98b156544f644ac1d7312578b.jpg

Here is my first run at a solid grow ?
Larry feel free to come give some pointers ?

Cheers ...
131567a59eb5635be0d711ca1ed4d680.jpg

Back
Top Bottom