Which Grow Light For The Price? Best Price For The Best Light

how's it getting power then ? my timers cut all power, so no glow. if i plug direct into the wall the light will sit at about 5%. it only is an issue with lower power drivers, sub 200w. all the higher power drivers will go to zero on a dimmer.

it only effects potentiometer based dimming. if you use arduino etc, it will dim to zero every time. most drivers aren't set up for it though.

i built and sold local branded lights for about five yrs, and have worked with led in show production as long as it's been available. i grew under cob based led show lighting before they were available commercially as grow lighting.

edit : next time i fire up my smaller veg rig i'll take pic of it dimmed to zero and still showing about a 5% glow. it cuts off complete at any dimming level when the timer takes it out. i built and sold the same rigs.
20231106_110009.jpg

Ok I received my replacement drivers for my 2 1000w lights that where glowing in the off position, the fittings have 3 drivers inside the centre one is slightly smaller in output you can see that if you zoom in on fist picture..second picture is original driver on top and replacement driver below it ,once the replacement drivers were swapped out the fault no longer persisted on both lights.
You can see the model numbers are slightly different.
So its not the timer or anything else it's the wrong driver weather that be for the countries supply voltage or a bad batch of drivers who knows .

20231106_125054.jpg

20231106_110009.jpg

Ok I received my replacement drivers for my 2 1000w lights that where glowing in the off position, the fittings have 3 drivers inside the centre one is slightly smaller in output you can see that if you zoom in on fist picture..second picture is original driver on top and replacement driver below it ,once the replacement drivers were swapped out the fault no longer persisted on both lights.
You can see the model numbers are slightly different.
So its not the timer or anything else it's the wrong driver weather that be for the countries supply voltage or a bad batch of drivers who knows .

20231106_125054.jpg

thanks for posting the fix. those things shouldn't hold a charge if they aren't being supplied. something is really off about that.

can you get a better pic of them ? it's a brand i'm not familiar with and i'd like to see the specs better. the 1000w claim certainly is suspicious, i'd be interested to see what the real rating is on the drivers.

thanks for posting the fix. those things shouldn't hold a charge if they aren't being supplied. something is really off about that.

can you get a better pic of them ? it's a brand i'm not familiar with and i'd like to see the specs better. the 1000w claim certainly is suspicious, i'd be interested to see what the real rating is on the drivers.
The light fittings are put back together now , the top and bottom driver outputs are higher than the centre driver output that was replaced.
The replacement driver had the same output as the original just a different model number.
So if you have lights that have no way of turning off completely you have faulty light fittings .

The top and bottom drivers from memory i think were 370w ea

which light was it ? i'll just look the drivers up or see if mouser or digi-key has them. if you are running ir or uv i would expect the smaller driver to be dedicated supplying them.

Have they updated the Gavita yet?
It's been the same light since 2019 I think.
Pro grow seem to be good lights too!
Migro looks to be decent quality also!
Personally I'd go the Gavita!

Have they updated the Gavita yet?
It's been the same light since 2019 I think.
Pro grow seem to be good lights too!
Migro looks to be decent quality also!
Personally I'd go the Gavita!

My buddy LOVES his 1700e and produces some nice weight in his 4 x 4.

My problem with the Gavita 1700e is it's a little underpowered for what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a high quality light that can give me 30w sq/ft. I have a 5 x 5 so 25 sq/ft x 30 = 750w. The other thing is the Gavita is really more suitable to a 4 x 4 but can work in a 5 x 5 hence why I included it.

My buddy LOVES his 1700e and produces some nice weight in his 4 x 4.

My problem with the Gavita 1700e is it's a little underpowered for what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a high quality light that can give me 30w sq/ft. I have a 5 x 5 so 25 sq/ft x 30 = 750w. The other thing is the Gavita is really more suitable to a 4 x 4 but can work in a 5 x 5 hence why I included it.
Yeah go the one you linked. I just had a look at it and I must say it looks to be a very high quality light!!

I'm new to the forum but I have been growing in a 5 x 5 tent with two 275w COB lights. So far they've done the job but I would like to upgrade to a bar light setup for all the reasons already mentioned.

So far I've narrowed down the prospects to Migro ARAY 5x5, MedicGrow Smart 8, GLS ProGrow 2100, Gavita 1700e

Opinions? Experience with any of these?
Don’t get the Medic-grow because the driver is built in and I have a nightmare in the summer trying to keep the temperature down. CL🍀 Edit: other than the driver not being removable it’s a pretty good light.

two simple rules of thumb.

adequate flower range is the 35 - 55w sq/ft range. 30w is under bare min for a decent finish with weight and potency.
if you want enough for a 5 x 5 then look at what is recommended for a 6 x 6 then buy that and use a dimmer.

shoot for more light than you need with dimming control. it's actually really simple.

two simple rules of thumb.

adequate flower range is the 35 - 55w sq/ft range. 30w is under bare min for a decent finish with weight and potency.
if you want enough for a 5 x 5 then look at what is recommended for a 6 x 6 then buy that and use a dimmer.

shoot for more light than you need with dimming control. it's actually really simple.
My 30w per sq/ft takes in my ability to control temperature in the tent. More than that and I have trouble controlling temp but I agree. Better to have more PPFD than less.

One thing I will say is that I've run underpowered for a few runs and have thankfully done pretty well dry weight wise. I'm currently running 550w off of 2 COB lights. I have another 150w COB(VS1500) that I can use as supplemental and will raise the wattage in the tent to 700w. If I figure a way to control the heat in the tent with more heat introduced then I will definitely think about upgrading to a 1000w+ light.

I'd also like to find a light that is spectrum adjustable so I can try out different light spectrum setups and see what works best at what stage. California Lightworks and a few others have spectrum adjustable lights.

My 30w per sq/ft takes in my ability to control temperature in the tent. More than that and I have trouble controlling temp but I agree. Better to have more PPFD than less.

One thing I will say is that I've run underpowered for a few runs and have thankfully done pretty well dry weight wise. I'm currently running 550w off of 2 COB lights. I have another 150w COB(VS1500) that I can use as supplemental and will raise the wattage in the tent to 700w. If I figure a way to control the heat in the tent with more heat introduced then I will definitely think about upgrading to a 1000w+ light.

heat should be negligible running led. we've run higher hid rigs in a space that size. led returns less than a third of the heat for equivalent ppfd.

if you are in a warmer climate and still find heat in the grow space an issue, you could simply run rigs with a remote driver option. there are plenty of them, and it's not hard to retrofit them if you are at all handy.

the emitters alone won't create too much heat, but you should look into ac or better ventilation if it's still a problem.

edit : at present i run 600w of true draw cob in a space a little under 4x4.

heat should be negligible running led. we've run higher hid rigs in a space that size. led returns less than a third of the heat for equivalent ppfd.

if you are in a warmer climate and still find heat in the grow space an issue, you could simply run rigs with a remote driver option. there are plenty of them, and it's not hard to retrofit them if you are at all handy.

the emitters alone won't create too much heat, but you should look into ac or better ventilation if it's still a problem.

edit : at present i run 600w of true draw cob in a space a little under 4x4.
The tent is in a small office/lung room and is HVAC controlled so their is some measure of temp control but if I pushed temp down like I wanted to I'd put the house into a deep freeze!:) I'd love to install an independently controlled mini split in the room and sever the HVAC but the GF would have an aneurysm if I did that!😄

I've outfitted the tent with an AC Infinity T6 6" fan and Controller 67. When their Controller 69 WiFi comes back on line I plan on picking one up so that I have access from wherever there's an internet connection. I also have one of their T3 humidifiers but the 67 doesn't play well with the T3 so another reason to upgrade.

I try and keep the air temp within the 75* - 82* range and leaf temps in the 75* - 80* range. Humidity typically lives in the 55% - 65% range through veg and I start laddering down humidity after week 6 of flower until I get to around 40% - 45%.

Currently what's running in the tent.

11112023pre net.jpg

I'm putting together a DIY auto irrigate system that I should have done today. Once I have it in place and tested I'll drop a screen over the girls and start tucking branches.

Hey guy's, i belive i will buy this Led Light you here from that? MIGRO ARAY 3

What would you do when you still using the COB leds? I have a good coverage with then so why Update is the New Led way better in performance? Right now with my 4 Tgl star 55w each i Harvest 300g + with it

Hey guy's, i belive i will buy this Led Light you here from that? MIGRO ARAY 3

not bad but i'd sure like to see the specs on the emitters and how they are divided between the three. also i like a full spec rig to have a broader array of kelvin in the emitters.

all in all it could be decent but i'd like more info than what i see them provide.

What would you do when you still using the COB leds? I have a good coverage with then so why Update is the New Led way better in performance? Right now with my 4 Tgl star 55w each i Harvest 300g + with it

do you have a pic of your current lights ? be nice to know what kelvin you are running too. see there is some burples in your pics i see.

if they are working for you i wouldn't be in a hurry to dump them. they can find a use even if you get a new rig as well.

Back
Top Bottom