Increased dark period for better yields?

I tried it, for about 36 hours, I would say minor improvement.
But since I have two flood tables going 30 days apart it freaked the other table out since it was only like 30-32 day into flowering.
I am not going to continue this practice. Wasnt worth the extra hassle.

I tried it, for about 36 hours, I would say minor improvement.
But since I have two flood tables going 30 days apart it freaked the other table out since it was only like 30-32 day into flowering.
I was wondering what would happen if you tried it earlier on in flowering. When you say the plants "freaked out" did they start to hermi or reveg or something else?

I know for a fact that 72 hr of continuous light on the sixth week of flowering (oops!) caused so much confusion among my girls: it took them four (!!!) additional weeks to finish flowering that time compared to usual. And the bud haven't grown much at all, which was a bummer. Some specimen I had, still showed white hairs at week 15. I just wanted to see if they would ever complete their blooming, or what's going to happen otherwise.
It was a really weird harvest - it is amazing how 3 days of oops led to full 4 weeks of oops ... it almost looked like the time froze for some plants after unintentional long light exposure late in the bloom, after which some flowers stopped ripening for a while but then picked up where they left, while others did non recover from the shock at all - they were just standing there in pots for 5 freaking weeks without much happening.
The moral of this story I picked for myself, was not to fuck with natural lighting cycles if you want your harvest to be a success.

So too much light is for sure not a good thing. That makes sense based on the "warehouse/battery" analogy. I know 1 thing, since I have started the 18/6 I can for sure see a difference in my plants. They are bigger/stronger/greener/grow faster.

I suppose it could be a coincidence or one of the other minor changes I made, but this is for sure the best looking group I have had so far.

In my case they slowed bud growth down for the week following the lights out for the other table.
Kinda re-veg bit not. Stunted for a week comes closest to what I observed.
It is only a marginal increase anyway, not a dramatic increase, so not worth the effort.

The moral of this story I picked for myself, was not to fuck with natural lighting cycles if you want your harvest to be a success.

To be fair, I've fucked about with light cycles in many different ways, and never failed to have a good harvest. There's nothing natural about growing indoors, it's a completely artificial environment in just about every possible way.

On that note, is there any benefit to moving them outside? It is still a bit too cool at night here, but we are having really nice days, like 55 - 75 for highs. (outside temp I mean :smokin: ) When is a good time to try an outside plant? Flower pot, or ground soil? Let it rain, or water it?

If you move a plant from inside to outdoors, check your local sunrise & sunset calendar online to be sure it is the proper time of year to promote flowering. Where I am located, it is currently time to be vegging outdoors because the daylight is gradually increasing, where as for flowering you want the daylight to be decreasing.

I would use a container because it is easier to control your environment. You want soil with VERY good drainage, I would amend it with perlite & consider using coco or peat moss. Or you can buy a quality potting soil but that can get very pricey.

Rainwater is good for plants, but once buds start forming it creates a potential risk for mold. I like to have them in containers so I can bring them in during flowering when I get heavy rains. But I DO collect rainwater in barrels and rubbermaid containers to use for my plants, doing it this way I can avoid getting water on my buds

Happy Growing
Stoned :peace:

Yep, depending on the strain up to a week without anything but time my plants seem to enjoy :thumb:

Just hang them from strings for a while before you jar them.

Wow, thanks for that! I do have another one for you, I have a few small seedlings, just planted them in the pots they will be in, can I move a couple to outdoors now or should I start new ones?

Well depending on where you live, you can move them outside but they shouldn't flower for a while.

For instance, I have one plant outside that is about 2ft tall. Where I live flowering outdoors occurs around august/september. By the time my plant starts flowering this year I am hoping to have a 6-8ft tree since I still have about 6 months of Vegging to do.

If they are in large pots, then you should have no problem moving them outdoors now if you don't mind having some very large plants a few months down the road.

Keep in mind, if a seedling or plant begins it's life under an artificial light. You want to harden it off before directly tossing it outside. Do this by gradually introducing it into sunlight for 2-4 hours a day for 3-4 days so it is not shocked from the sun.

:peace:

this is how it goes..... yield is related to light hrs and finishing is related to dark hours..u flower a plant with more light hrs then dark hrs then it will yield more but take longer to finish... you do the opposite...and flower a plant with more dark then light hours then it will finish faster but yield less. 12/12 is just a happy medium. to do this you got to just make sure that when u veg that your light hours is 24/0. then the drastic change in dark hours will trigger flowering. currently got 3 plants that when i acquired i put under 24/0 and is now flowering on 15/9. dont believe me try it!

Anyone ever throw a florescent dusk to dawn type bulb in for 5-7 days then cut the lights for 2-3 days? I used to run a very very indica pheno of grape stomper, and after a friends experiment started running it this way for oil production. Visually there is a difference no guess about it. I have always waited the 2-3 dark days though as I was told by a mentor that had grown for 20+yr this way. If it don't increase oils it still should be lowering the chlorophyll levels which would help taste(planty harshness). I will continue as before.

wow its a touchy topic will try both of them on sisters and give my oppinion but its these debates that get results and trail and error is the way of life whats good for you might not work for him but i love the input from everybody

I leave my girls in veg till they are 36" tall they are under a 1000 watt Metal Halide light for 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Once they are 36" tall (or I have room in my flower room) I place them into the flower room. There they enjoy 12 hours of work and 12 hours of rest. I have been more than pleased with the results. In my flower room I have 8 600 HPS's and 1 1000 watt HPS in the center. I love this set up and it supplies me with all the meds I need. If I have any extra I give it away or turn it into BHO and cook with it. It sure is nice not to have to spend so much money on it anymore. Plus I grow the best weed on earth. Just my opinion, but I have witnesses. Have a great day and don't worry so much about the small stuff, worry about the PH (6.0 is the best for every stage of the plants life) and you should be fine.

This has been posted on many cannabis sites.

"The Stichting Institute of Medical marijuana (SIMM), the first company to sell marijuana through the pharmacies of Holland, has been investigating the medical possibilities of cannabis, together with TNO laboratories and the University of Leiden.

One of their discoveries has been that to keep the ripe plants in the dark before harvesting could increase their potency.SIMM's growers separated a crop of mature plants, harvested half of them and kept the other half in absolute darkness for 72 hours before cutting and drying. Analysis of the resulting dried buds showed that some varieties had seen an increase of THC of up to 30%, while CBD and CBN remained the same."

Many people reject it almost instantly because they wrongly assume it means if you are growing a strain that would have 20% THC you would end up with another 30% making it 50% but it's an additional 30% of whatever percentage of THC the strain you are growing normally would have, so like an additional 30% of 20% or 30% or whatever the THC percentage of the strain you are growing is.

Back
Top Bottom