Induction Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah. They're just fancy CFL bulbs. I think icemud or hosebomber did a writeup on them. Better off with led, hid, or plain ol CFL

Induction flourescents are an interesting technology and I've looked into it myself.

They definitely have some superior qualities - very cool-running, very long life, close placement - but they just don't do well enough for blooming. There might be some record of a guy getting 2 grams a watt, but I seriously doubt it. My experience with research and watching other grows, is that they don't do as well as hps, and cost twice as much. The I-Gro site has some interesting and apparently legitimate PAR efficiency comparisons with LED, MH and HPS, showing that inductions are as efficient or more than HPS and about 2/3 the PAR efficiency of LED.

Induction isn't a bad technology. :cheesygrinsmiley: I think it would do very well for an early veg space - seedlings and clones. If you want to use it to bloom, you'd have to supplement it with HID or LED. I've thought about a setup with a big induction in the center and LEDs in the corners, or HPS in the center and smaller inductions in the corners. You'd get some spectrums from the induction that the LEDs don't cover. But in my opinion :cheesygrinsmiley: induction is too expensive with the cost of LEDs coming down so fast.

Induction flourescents are an interesting technology and I've looked into it myself.

They definitely have some superior qualities - very cool-running, very long life, close placement - but they just don't do well enough for blooming. There might be some record of a guy getting 2 grams a watt, but I seriously doubt it. My experience with research and watching other grows, is that they don't do as well as hps, and cost twice as much. The I-Gro site has some interesting and apparently legitimate PAR efficiency comparisons with LED, MH and HPS, showing that inductions are as efficient or more than HPS and about 2/3 the PAR efficiency of LED.

Induction isn't a bad technology. :cheesygrinsmiley: I think it would do very well for an early veg space - seedlings and clones. If you want to use it to bloom, you'd have to supplement it with HID or LED. I've thought about a setup with a big induction in the center and LEDs in the corners, or HPS in the center and smaller inductions in the corners. You'd get some spectrums from the induction that the LEDs don't cover. But in my opinion :cheesygrinsmiley: induction is too expensive with the cost of LEDs coming down so fast.

The Igrow is where i saw those videos. I have always used T5 and Hps. However i am in the designing stage of a new setup not and was looking in to alternatives.

Dimensions: 26″ x 20″ x 3.5″
Weight: 36 lbs.
Actual Wattage: 650w
HID Wattage Equivalent: 1000w
Total Diodes: 320
Diode Wattage: Perfect Mix of 3w & 5w
Footprint: 5′ x 5′
Input Voltage: 100-240V AC Power Input
Work Frequency: 50/60 Hz – Suitable for Global Energy Environment
Output Voltage: UL Standard Output Voltage – Less than 76V DC
Amperage: 5.25
Kind Factor: 10/10

All the research so far seems to say go for it. Any opnions?

The only opinion I would offer, especially if you're starting from scratch, is that more smaller LEDs is better than fewer big ones. LEDs beam a lot more than HPS users realize. Don't be misled by the 90 degree lenses - they cover more like 40 degrees. HID don't beam like that.

So if your panel is 26 x 20, it'll cover about 36 x 30 at close to rated PAR. The PAR on that 650W Nice panel is probably in the 800+ range, but only right under the panel. If you move a foot to the side, it'll drop a third. Much past that and PAR drops rapidly, much faster than a HID bulb. You usually want the light spread out more than that.

I'll eventually change over to several small LEDS. I'd like nine 100 watters for a 4x4, or at least four 250s.

I didn't. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I was just researching PAR efficiency for CMH recently and it came up on a search. I looked into I-Gro itself early last year.

I really like the induction flourescent tech - they're just so spendy. :straightface:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom