Is Isopropyl Alcohol Toxic? A Question From Mile High Cleaner

Is Isopropyl alcohol TOXIC?

• 1, No worse than grain alcohol, it's distilled from plants, right?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Yes, it is printed on the label "fumes may be toxic"

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • 3. Yes, EPA, OSHA and 8 other government agencies say so

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 4. Yes, as a VOC it is a major contributor to GL ozone and one million deaths yearly

• 5. Yes, it is made from Fossil Fuels

• 6. Who cares, it works and I refuse to pay more money for "bong cleaners" that are just as toxic

• 7. Who cares, shaking and waiting is the best way to clean ever. No improvement needed

• 8. Who cares, It can't harm me, I rinse it away. It is only a couple of ounces.

• Total voters
The resin must be like concrete. Cleopatra used vinegar to dissolve a pearl and impress Mark Anthony at the same time.
Pearls are made of calcium carbonate and will dissolve in an acid like vinegar. Resin is oil based and will not dissolve from vinegar.

How about this ? -- ditch the bongs / hitters / whatever -- .. roll your high .. Now we do not want to hear any expose on the harm the burning of smoking papers will render upon the environment..

Let's see an advertisement for Zig Zag

Happy Highs

MotaMan
Pipes are an improvement, as are bongs, vapes, rigs... Life is about Progress. Earlier in this thread you proposed some sort of disposable bong which would increase trash. One person followed that idea and made "ice bong" which takes a lot of prep and had to be planned out for when it was ready and it made wet spots as it melted.

Again, it is far less work to take 15 seconds to clean a one hitter or less than 2 minutes to clean a bong with an effective cleaner and scrubbers. It is how we clean everything else, why not paraphernalia?

Why not use vinegar? It will take rust right off of iron skillets. Plus it kills mold. If it's safe for hummingbirds, it should be safe for humans.
To "use" vinegar means shaking and waiting for a long time. Vinegar is a weak 5% acid solution, Acid dissolves more than resin but vinegar is considerably less effective than ISO so that means even more shaking and waiting. and it still requires a HUGE amount, like 3000 drops, in comparison to the 30 drops (comparatively, 1%) of Mile HIGH and the right scrubber.
This is the point
Shaking takes WAY more effort, and the chemicals are usually much more toxic, and are in much larger quantities, to MAKE UP FOR THE LACK OF SCRUBBING. The weaker the chemical, the more time and shaking it takes.
Shaking is NOT how we clean.

I am also willing to bet that when you used the vinegar for taking rust off of the cast iron pan you used a brush!
I could be wrong but I think that proves my point.
SCRUBBING is how we clean.
If you had no chemicals, but had the right brush, that rust would be gone faster than shaking vinegar, or virtually any other chemical, at it...

The resin must be like concrete. Cleopatra used vinegar to dissolve a pearl and impress Mark Anthony at the same time.
Household vinegar is a 5% acetic acid solution. I think Stargazer is right, vinegar will dissolve resin given enough time and quantity of vinegar. If you are willing to wait a week or two, and have a big jug of it, I think vinegar would eventually work. It would be the slowest and smelliest way to clean and you would have to own lots of glass as most of it would be soaking for days. Not a very good option and you are still dumping an acid into the sewer in copious amounts...The sewer is not magic and the amounts would be significant and would probably cause some other environmental issue as hundreds of thousands of gallons were dumped by the hundreds of millions of the canna consumers. (estimated 5.8% of the population or about 435 million).
Vinegar vapor does have repercussions...This is from a quick search
Breathing vapours with high levels of acetic acid can cause irritation of eyes, nose and throat, cough, chest tightness, headache, fever and confusion. In serious cases damage to the airways, a fast heart rate and eye damage can occur. An accumulation of fluid in the lungs may occur and may take up 36 hours to develop.

The sewer is not magic
Sewers in general are a bad idea. If you have an aquarium then you know that leaving the fish poop in the water can cause all sort of problems for the fish. Fin rot, gill damage and eventually death. The ocean is like a big aquarium and adding more poop (especially in the amounts released today) is a bad idea.

Here's an after pic of my rolling machine. Didn't think to take a before.

IMG_1711.jpg

Ink is a little faded but it rolls like a champ. Usually 4-5 joints a day.

Pearls are made of calcium carbonate and will dissolve in an acid like vinegar. Resin is oil based and will not dissolve from vinegar.
Thank you for clearing that up for me. Maybe I should take those cannabis courses that some colleges are offering so I can learn about the herb. God knows I could use the knowledge.

Household vinegar is a 5% acetic acid solution. I think Stargazer is right, vinegar will dissolve resin given enough time and quantity of vinegar. If you are willing to wait a week or two, and have a big jug of it, I think vinegar would eventually work. It would be the slowest and smelliest way to clean and you would have to own lots of glass as most of it would be soaking for days. Not a very good option and you are still dumping an acid into the sewer in copious amounts...The sewer is not magic and the amounts would be significant and would probably cause some other environmental issue as hundreds of thousands of gallons were dumped by the hundreds of millions of the canna consumers. (estimated 5.8% of the population or about 435 million).
Vinegar vapor does have repercussions...This is from a quick search
Breathing vapours with high levels of acetic acid can cause irritation of eyes, nose and throat, cough, chest tightness, headache, fever and confusion. In serious cases damage to the airways, a fast heart rate and eye damage can occur. An accumulation of fluid in the lungs may occur and may take up 36 hours to develop.
OUCH!! I didn't know that! But vinegar is good if you have a rusted iron skillet. There are some things that can only get cooked in an iron skillet. Catfish for one, and it's good to bake cornbread in. My mom will be gone 2 years in June and I miss her cooking already. Reminded me of home.

Use grain alcohol -- on a grander scale -- look at the U.S. at night all lit up -- now ponder how many friggin windmills it would take to keep those lights lit -- ALL NIGHT -- .. Imagine the DREAM of electric vehicles -- tell me how long it will take to install the infrastructure to maintain a recharging grid from coast to coast ??? -- and the amount of power to maintain the grid -- there's not enough windmills or solar panels and never will be..

The eco schmucks cannot answer these basic questions -- let alone the question -- of what do you do with the spent batteries from all those electric life savers??? -- the battery on a electric semi rig is 3200 lbs -- you cannot recycle them.

Tangents are nice

Happy Growing

MotaMan
Hey MotaMan,
Unfortunately, using grain alcohol does not actually solve the problem...
To switch from one solvent to another is only a Variation on a Theme, not a solution.
The problem is HOW we are cleaning; SHAKING chemicals.

There is NOTHING we clean by shaking. We use tools.
Nor do we use 1/3rd of a bottle to clean (and still have black chunks).

Most cleaning using tools takes just a few minutes, yet using ISO is a dreaded chore that might take overnight.
Heck, a toilet can be cleaned in less than 3 minutes, because we have a brush and cleaner to do the job fast and easy, just like all the cleaning we do.

We make tools, scrubbers, brushes and cleaning implements to last for hundreds of uses and detergents that get dozens of cleanings if not hundreds.

ISO gets 3-5 cleanings and most think that is cheap! If cheap is all you want, just use Gasoline to clean your bong. It would work just as poorly as ISO. They are both made from fossil fuels. Of course we know better than to use Gasoline as It is a toxic solvent made from Crude Oil that is causing personal and planetary damage...(Just like ISO).
ISO has MANY of the exact same problems as gasoline yet gets a "Cannabis cleaning Seal of Approval" by MILLIONS for the simple reason that 70 years ago they did not yet make a cleaner to use with tools. Rare-Earth magnetic scrubber and bong brush had not been perfected. Since then Shaking and waiting has become unquestioned.

It is so distasteful to clean by shaking many let a bong go for days by simply rinsing. Within ONE DAY it becomes the dirtiest, smelliest thing in your entire home.

Life is progress, improving everything to make our lives easier. We constantly improve... EXCEPT for this one thing which has not changed since a the first hippie come up with a better option than a wire coat hangar, rag and hot water 70 years ago and said "Well, I guess it's better... Lets TOKE!"

For what we knew then, ISO was an improvement.
For what we KNOW NOW...ISO is a problem that is ignored because no one wants to think about cleaning. The standard "home remedy" of ISO and Salt is being repeated a billion times by every new generation of cannabis consumer to the point where it is GOSPEL. Most people just accept that "ISO, Salt, Shaking, Waiting and Praying that it gets all the resin are the price you have to pay to enjoy cannabis. The dry skin, irritated throat and nasal passages as well as feeling weird are all part of the deal and sometimes it just leaves a few spots...

Then we dump it down the drain...

There are a lot of us on this planet. Like you said about the batteries, That will be the next issue but it is at least not contributing to the current issues. If we don't fine tune EVERYTHING to maximize its usefulness, life-expectancy and cost per use as well as reducing its environmental and personal toxicity, and recycle those batteries, future generations may not be able to live here any more. Smart people like Elon Musk are already planning for the earth to become 'uninhabitable to humans'. Part of it is that we keep using 1/3rd of a bottle of ISO for a single cleaning and then releasing it into the environment.

The government is demanding manufacturers to reduce the drops of ISO used in a bottle Hairspray or other products. In one bong cleaning we dump 100 times that amount directly into the environment in liquid form.

I am not proud of that because when I was a teenager I used ISO as well

I have always hated that term "stupid stoner" but I was...
Which is why I am proud to be the inventor of Mile HIGH Cleaner, Canna Mag and the Triple Brush and DAB Drops. These products are the solution to every one of the issues associated with cleaning cannabis resin. In some ways, MHC works better than many "regular cleaners" used around the house with up to 50 cleanings per bottle and can clean a 10" bong in less time than cleaning the toilet. Mile HIGH's Sustainable and Renewable formula is organic, odorless, and Insanely effective, Kills germs yet is so safe I can drink it. Of ALL cleaners, few can make those claims and none of the toxic Shake-and-Wait cleaners can even come close...

Back
Top Bottom