Is Texas Moving Towards Marijuana Legalization

Truth Seeker

Across the country, the attitude towards marijuana is changing–both among citizens and lawmakers. While almost 20 states have medical marijuana laws in place, two have legalized recreational marijuana and several others have pending legislation addressing both these areas. But, where does Texas stand in the world of marijuana legalization?

You don't have to be a cop, an attorney, or even a pot smoker to know that attitudes towards marijuana in Texas are relatively conservative. Officials see the illegal drug trade as being responsible for crime and immigration issues in the state. But, there are indications that attitudes are changing.

80,000 people are arrested in Texas each year for marijuana crimes. About 97% of those arrests are for possession alone. By lessening the penalties for possession, Texas officials would be better able to focus on things that should concern them more, like violent crimes.

One such bill, HB 184, has passed committee and is headed to legislators. The bill would decrease penalties for first time marijuana offenders under the age of 21. Currently, a first time possession charge of one ounce or less carries a Class B misdemeanor designation and a potential for 180 days in jail and $2,000 in fines. If the law passes, young first time offenders would face a maximum fine of $500 and no jail time.

While it may not seem like much, it's a step in the right direction.

"While this is a small step in the process of legalization in Texas, it speaks volumes to the winds of change in our state," said a statement from Texas NORML. "This is an amazing step for Texas."

On the medical marijuana front, House Bill 594 was set to be voted on in committee this week. While the Texas legislature hasn't updated its status, there are indications it was allowed to die. Still, it's presence and it's support could indicate changing tides.

The bill would have allowed people facing marijuana charges to use a medical condition and doctor's recommendation as a defense against that charge. In other words, if you use marijuana for disease or illness treatment, and your doctor recommends it, that could help you get any resulting criminal charges dismissed in court.

When it comes to policies that lessen crime penalties for any offense, Texas is often a little behind. But progress is progress and these two bills could signal changes yet to come.

45711a.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: mytexasdefenselawyer.com
Author: mytexasdefenselawyer.com
Contact: About Us - Texas Criminal Defense Attorneys | Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers

I've lived in Texas going on 18 years now (I'm not a native). And to say,

"When it comes to policies that lessen crime penalties for any offense, Texas is often a little behind."

... is definitely an understatement. The odd thing is, Texans -- especially Texas politicians -- claim to be so independent of the federal government. But when it comes to cannabis laws, they march lock step with the feds. To use a well worn Texas phrase, these cowards are certainly "all hat and no cattle" when it comes to breaking with federal cannabis laws.

I've thought of moving to a more cannabis friendly state (I'm employed in an industry where drug testing is a part of the job). But as a long time cannabis law reform advocate, I've decided to stick it out and continue the fight here. For now.

Howard, I understand your pain. I'm a born and bread Mississippian. Cannabis had already been decriminalized here several years ago. But even so, there are certain guidelines that make the law where it's not really decriminalized. For example, if you are caught with mary jane in your car and it is any place besides the further most storage compartment of your vehicle then the police may charge you with a higher offense that simple possession, but this is not the case if they catch you with a sack on yourself. In that case, it's just a simple possession ticket. The loopholes that law enforcement uses is ridiculous.

The south, especially the bible belt, will be the last states to make a move toward real cannabis legislation. Hell, it's 2013, and the county I live in just voted to make the county wet again since alcohol prohibition. It's time to end prohibition on all substances. We really need our state lawmakers to step up and take the initiative to write and pass these laws. But until that time, all we can do is continue to write and educate them.

Yes, us Hicks too in Alabama are in that Southern mindset. It has been brought up in the house, since like 2010, a new one, supposed to have been read as the second bill this year, for medical cannabis, just keeps getting tabled by our Conservatives (of which I lean).

When the states start to fall faster than they are now, and they are now more than 5 years ago, it will not be made legal for medical because one politician gives a crap about us, they will see, and in that is fine with me too, whatever it takes, "SHOW ME THE TAXES" Our only real hope was for it to reach Governor Bentley's desk, as our last Governor who did not run again, as he was like #2 on Romney's VP list, rumors he will run again and the media has already crowned him a slam dunk winner. Personally I would buy up Northern Country Florida, they will be first and swamp land LOL will be Condo costs :)

The bigger surprise to me, is MN, where my wife is from. Have a little summer place there and they are so blue state, they have done nothing toward any real MMJ. We have waited 7 years to see which house would go, the MN home goes this summer, they are not moving fast enough and I will smoke a joint or eat that cookie legal once in my 53 years on this circle we all live on.

Your second paragraph is something that bugs the piss out of me. I live in the poorest state per capita in the US, but our lawmakers aren't looking at all the options to help solve our financial problems. There's one state representative from down on the coast that introduces MMJ legislation every time she gets a chance too, but it gets shot down by the conservative-christian sect of both parties.

But besides MMJ, it would be great for the commercial farmers to grow ruderalis for such things as paper, fuel, and textiles. And that's just to name a few applications! We have an excellent climate to grow this strain of cannabis. Imagine how much tax revenue that could bring in. The lawmakers are refusing to look at these practical applications for fear of not getting re-elected. I wish the state representatives and state citizens would wake up and realize that we have an optimal way of producing revenue to pull us out of this hole that we're in.

But like I mentioned in my earlier post, all we can do is try to educate our fellow citizens and elected officials about all the benefits of this divine plant.

Back
Top Bottom