Texas Sheriffs To Campaign Against Legalizing Marijuana

Founder
The Texas Sheriffs Association says it will fight hard to block efforts in the coming state legislative session to decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana.

The group, which represents law enforcement officials across the state, will "oppose any effort to decriminalize marijuana or legalize medical marijuana or any of the components of marijuana," Brazos County Sheriff Chris Kirk told WOAI Radio in San Antonio.

Under current law, marijuana possession in Texas is punishable by a fine of up to $2,000 and six months behind bars, the Daily Caller reports.

A decriminalization bill – which would turn possession of less than an ounce of pot into the functional equivalent of a parking ticket, punishable by a fine of no more than $100 – is being introduced in the legislative session that begins Jan. 13.

While no marijuana legalization bill has been introduced in Texas, Sheriff Kirk says that is the direction in which advocates are determined to go.

He says pot supporters follow similar strategies: first, they advocate medical marijuana; second, they push for removal of criminal penalties; then comes a push for full-blown legalization.

Texas law enforcement officials are not alone in expressing concerns about the effects of legalization.

Last month, attorneys general in Oklahoma and Nebraska filed a lawsuit asking the U.S. Supreme Court to strike down key parts of Colorado's 2012 voter-approved measure legalizing marijuana, arguing that it was facilitating the flow of pot into their states, "draining their treasuries, and placing stress on their criminal justice systems," The New York Times reported.

Currently, 23 states have "some kind of medical marijuana regime," according to the Daily Caller.

While opposing legalization, Texas Gov. Rick Perry has indicated support for decriminalization of marijuana, the Houston Chronicle reported last January.

Public opinion nationwide has been shifting in the direction of decriminalization or legalization. In November, voters in Oregon, Alaska and the District of Columbia approved legalization referendums, building on victories in 2012, when Colorado and Washington became the first states to legalize recreational marijuana use.

In November, the Pew Research Center reported that "a slim majority" of Americans (52 percent) said marijuana should be made legal, compared to 45 percent who wanted it to be illegal.

"Opinions have changed drastically since 1969, when Gallup first asked the question and found that just 12 percent favored legalizing marijuana use," Pew reported. Pew added that in its latest poll, "while most non-Hispanic whites and blacks say marijuana should be made legal, only 39 percent of Hispanics share that view."

texas-sheriff-marijuana.JPG

News Moderator: 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Texas Sheriffs to Campaign Against Legalizing Marijuana
Author: Joel Himelfarb
Photo Credit: None Found
Website: Newsmax.com - Breaking news from around the globe: U.S. news, politics, world, health, finance, video, science, technology, live news stream

i hope these public servants remember that its their duty to uphold the law, because it is happening, even in Texas. this opinion is not based conjecture, but on the fact that mj has been a part of Texas' social fabric for the last 50 or so years.

I would be curious by what rationale the association wants to block naturopathic medicine?

Perhaps it is the assumption that patients are criminals?

If so, this is the idiocy that won't vanish any time soon.

F Texas! Thats why I left there not even one week ago!!! They still think its the 40s there! Not to mention all the bible thumpers whose hipocracy know no bounds. Im so glad I left :)

good on you scrubby,f-texas .they want to keep it illegal,they still consider it a black/immigrant drug.no medicinal value.

all I see is the good ole boys in that picture,my partners and I use to go down to auctions and buy 20-25 HD motorcycles each month I have a friend who is black,wears 3g suits,out of us all he gets stopped,everytime and I the biker looking guy,who always carries,never gets stopped,first time was"funny" the next 5 times was silly and sick,I even confronted the cops one time,I said you have 6 men,5 look like we should be in jail,but the one clean and well dressed man, you hassle him??.....I got back stfu,stand over there,tin badge hiding pricks.

racist pigs there man,Dallas/fort worth and Houston are horrible,Austin isn't so bad.But even there you have to put up with the hipsters and emo's

Texas will be last,if ever at all.

I heard this as a racist joke as a child and I repeat it now to illustrate to others how racism might work in Ferguson, NYC, or Plano.

A TX Sherriff comes upon a crime scene of a young black boy who had been tied with a rope, dragged, beaten stabbed and shot several times. Sherriff says, "Worse case of suicide I've ever seen."

thats about it down there,j9black

my business partner,is the most articulate man I know,his health/style/life is impeccable,Harvard educated lawyer,still gets treated like a punk.he brushes it off,it pisses me off

him and I get into it,he says holy shit man,Id hate to see how vocal you are if you were black,I just lol,Ive never judged a man by his skin,only by his words and actions.

as a side note,had a unarmed man guned down by cops last night,so far 6 witnesses have come forward,they shot him because a tazer didnt work and he was "belligerent"
female cop shot him twice with a rifle,poor bugger moved to fast,he had his hands up.no weapon found on him.ftp

good on you scrubby,f-texas .they want to keep it illegal,they still consider it a black/immigrant drug.no medicinal value.

all I see is the good ole boys in that picture,my partners and I use to go down to auctions and buy 20-25 HD motorcycles each month I have a friend who is black,wears 3g suits,out of us all he gets stopped,everytime and I the biker looking guy,who always carries,never gets stopped,first time was"funny" the next 5 times was silly and sick,I even confronted the cops one time,I said you have 6 men,5 look like we should be in jail,but the one clean and well dressed man, you hassle him??.....I got back stfu,stand over there,tin badge hiding pricks.

racist pigs there man,Dallas/fort worth and Houston are horrible,Austin isn't so bad.But even there you have to put up with the hipsters and emo's

Texas will be last,if ever at all.

I think I hate the hipsters more than the pigs lmao!!!!

:) If I were half my age and didn't dress so well, I might be considered a hipster. I don't hate cops or anyone. I don't backup the whole "pigs" thing...it sounds Charlie Mansonish to me.

I think love for our fellow man, not hate, will solve these problems of racism and extrajudicial killings.

I find it ironic that President Obama was concerned about the Mexican students and Mexican justice system. He can take the lead on ending the war on drugs which will dramatically cut down the number of murdered students in Mexico and AMERICA.

:) If I were half my age and didn't dress so well, I might be considered a hipster. I don't hate cops or anyone. I don't backup the whole "pigs" thing...it sounds Charlie Mansonish to me.

I think love for our fellow man, not hate, will solve these problems of racism and extrajudicial killings.

I find it ironic that President Obama was concerned about the Mexican students and Mexican justice system. He can take the lead on ending the war on drugs which will dramatically cut down the number of murdered students in Mexico and AMERICA.

President Obama is clever.

If he were to change the Schedule I classification, the Republican Party might spend the next 40 years trying to demonize marijuana. If he looks the other way, the Republican Party might listen to their constituents and allow "states rights" to trump federal prohibition.

When dealing with extremists, it really helps to let them think they are putting one over on everyone else.

The Texas Sheriffs Association says it will fight hard to block efforts in the coming state legislative session to decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana.

The group, which represents law enforcement officials across the state, will "oppose any effort to decriminalize marijuana or legalize medical marijuana or any of the components of marijuana," Brazos County Sheriff Chris Kirk told WOAI Radio in San Antonio.

Under current law, marijuana possession in Texas is punishable by a fine of up to $2,000 and six months behind bars, the Daily Caller reports.

A decriminalization bill – which would turn possession of less than an ounce of pot into the functional equivalent of a parking ticket, punishable by a fine of no more than $100 – is being introduced in the legislative session that begins Jan. 13.

While no marijuana legalization bill has been introduced in Texas, Sheriff Kirk says that is the direction in which advocates are determined to go.

He says pot supporters follow similar strategies: first, they advocate medical marijuana; second, they push for removal of criminal penalties; then comes a push for full-blown legalization.

Texas law enforcement officials are not alone in expressing concerns about the effects of legalization.

Last month, attorneys general in Oklahoma and Nebraska filed a lawsuit asking the U.S. Supreme Court to strike down key parts of Colorado's 2012 voter-approved measure legalizing marijuana, arguing that it was facilitating the flow of pot into their states, "draining their treasuries, and placing stress on their criminal justice systems," The New York Times reported.

Currently, 23 states have "some kind of medical marijuana regime," according to the Daily Caller.

While opposing legalization, Texas Gov. Rick Perry has indicated support for decriminalization of marijuana, the Houston Chronicle reported last January.

Public opinion nationwide has been shifting in the direction of decriminalization or legalization. In November, voters in Oregon, Alaska and the District of Columbia approved legalization referendums, building on victories in 2012, when Colorado and Washington became the first states to legalize recreational marijuana use.

In November, the Pew Research Center reported that "a slim majority" of Americans (52 percent) said marijuana should be made legal, compared to 45 percent who wanted it to be illegal.

"Opinions have changed drastically since 1969, when Gallup first asked the question and found that just 12 percent favored legalizing marijuana use," Pew reported. Pew added that in its latest poll, "while most non-Hispanic whites and blacks say marijuana should be made legal, only 39 percent of Hispanics share that view."

texas-sheriff-marijuana.JPG

News Moderator: 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Texas Sheriffs to Campaign Against Legalizing Marijuana
Author: Joel Himelfarb
Photo Credit: None Found
Website: Newsmax.com - Breaking news from around the globe: U.S. news, politics, world, health, finance, video, science, technology, live news stream

if this was legalized and sold the same way cigarettes and alcohol we might not have a national debt

I think two maybe three of those officers would just as soon shoot a suspect instead of chasing one down. It looks like any sort of physical challenge beyond hoisting budweisers and barbeque would risk a heart attack.

you aint kidding man,they like to shoot first and if ya can answer questions,shoot again:rofl:

who needs to be in shape when ya carry a gun and tin badge??

they do have some kick ass bbq down there:cheesygrinsmiley:

Thats all moot now in my world! Im in a state where its legal, my card is on its way and my production license will follow soon afterwards. After that ill be going for a caregivers license with 3 patients so far and hopefully a contract with a dispensary to supply them with my surplus...all of which couldnt have hapoened had I stayed in BACKWOODS F'N TEXAS!!!

man the weight off your shoulders has got to feel great,I will experience that later this year,down to my last bit of property to sell,then im gone

now I just need to chose what state to be free in,I have property outside Denver,but man im getting sick of the cold,west coast calling my name.

Caption from above picture:

"Look at all these flowers we took away from those drug dealers. That'll teach 'em. Now what do ya say we go have a few beers and celebrate!"

Morons the lot of them.

man the weight off your shoulders has got to feel great,I will experience that later this year,down to my last bit of property to sell,then im gone

now I just need to chose what state to be free in,I have property outside Denver,but man im getting sick of the cold,west coast calling my name.

I do miss the west coast. I was stationed there for 5.5 years in the Marines. Dont miss the gas prices and the cost of living tho lol :)

Back
Top Bottom