Is there any benefit to combining LED and HPS with Coco?

ShowMeTruth

So I have LED Meizhi 600 watt grow lights. But I am wondering if adding 1 400 watt HPS with one of the 600 watt LED lights would help? This would be in a 4x4 tent with fans and plenty of air exchange. Yes, this is a coco grow.

Alternatively, would 2 400 watt HPS lights work well in a 4x4 tent? I realize I would need to vent the lights, but that isn't an issue for me.

I'm a little concerned that a 600 watt HPS wouldn't be quite enough on it's own, and I think a 1000 watt HPS would be overkill in a 4x4.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Your Meizhi 600 only pulls 270 watts. So if you add a 400w HPS that brings your total to 670 watts - which would be fine for a 4x4 tent. Obviously 2 - 400w HPS would provide more light and more heat. Good luck.

Don't guess, use PAR as the guide. You want as close to 800 over the greatest mass of the plant, at a distance that doesn't burn the tops of the plant. The reflective material of the tent will have a greater effect on PAR the brighter the light source, also (bouncing a louder voice off a canyon wall produces a stronger echo).

Thanks for the math,Mick!

So, to really know, I'd need to get a light meter, right?

I might just go ahead and get the one 400 watt as it is financially possible. Appreciate the input!!

Thanks for the math,Mick!

So, to really know, I'd need to get a light meter, right?

I might just go ahead and get the one 400 watt as it is financially possible. Appreciate the input!!

PAR meters are expensive. The site for your light should have a PAR cone chart that gives the concentration at a given distance and the footprint of the coverage at that distance. Getting as close to 800, especially during flower (lower PAR can control growth, shortening internodal distance during veg, I use that as a tool). You have to account for the cone shape of the light and the heat produced at a given distance as well as the reflective factor of the material to get a more than usable ballpark and letting your eyes and the plants guide the fine tuning. It's a balancing act of a few factors, but once you get it right you can't help but succeed as long as you don't over/under feed/water.

I did a good grow using 600w led. No name. And 400w hps in 4x4 tent and was great. Good combo.

Attachments

• 420-magazine-mobile239695835.jpg
    420-magazine-mobile239695835.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 420-magazine-mobile670205205.jpg
    420-magazine-mobile670205205.jpg
    608.6 KB · Views: 219
I grow with a solar system 550 LED and a 400 watt HPS in a 5X5 tent in coco and it works great. Started in a 4X4 tent but that was a little too small for 4 plants. The HPS helps in the winter months to keep the heat up in tent since i am growing out in the garage.

Attachments

• SAM_0230.JPG
    SAM_0230.JPG
    767.3 KB · Views: 207
  • SAM_0227.JPG
    SAM_0227.JPG
    676.5 KB · Views: 199
  • SAM_0228.JPG
    SAM_0228.JPG
    618.6 KB · Views: 193
Was that beautiful plant grown in coir? Looks great!

Only use coco peet its just more forgiving.
If u run fancy hydro and the power goes off for a few hrs it could mean end of the grow bro!!

Dont forget perlite too.

I grow with a solar system 550 LED and a 400 watt HPS in a 5X5 tent in coco and it works great. Started in a 4X4 tent but that was a little too small for 4 plants. The HPS helps in the winter months to keep the heat up in tent since i am growing out in the garage.
Nice. I plan to set up solar for flower room too. What inverter are you using. How many watts?
How many battries?
How many solar panels?

Big saving if u can get that right!!!:goodjob:

So you're running a 1k HPS and not experiencing light burn? Beautiful plants there! How many are there in that 4x4?

I'm going to buy 2 4oowatt HPS as that actually less expensive than 1 600 watt from a certain supplier. And I can try both of them or one with a 600 watt LED.

if you use the 600w meizhi combine with the 400w HPS, which makes you around 40w/sft, should work fine. :) LED and HPS combine can help on the light spectrum, also in winter, the mix type will help on the heat as well. :passitleft:

I had a 4 x 4 tent. Had a 400w hps se and 600w led. No name unfortunately!
Those days it was hard to get Mars hydro lights in SA. Would have loved them.
Anyway that combo of HPS and LED worked well.
Check it out..

So 1000w hps plus led should burst your tent open at its seems.
Ive just purchased the new Gavita pro 1000w. Thats more than you will ever need.
Good luck with choises.

Back
Top Bottom