It finally happened (Busted)

MrGrunge

I finally had my first marijuana-related run-in with the police. But here's the kicker...I didn't do anything!

Last night, I was smoking in a car with a couple friends. We weren't driving, just sitting and smoking. We then went inside and played video games for a few hours.

On our way back from dropping one of my friends off at home (the one who brought the bud), we headed towards my house. Literally, not more than three or four blocks from my home, we see the red and blue lights in the rear-view. Now, we know the car smells like pot and so do we, but we didn't have anything in the car (that we knew about, his car is a huge f*cking mess) so I was feeling confident that nothing would happen.

We were both extremely courteous to the police, and when they asked to search the car, we obliged. So I get frisked and then wait in the back of a cruiser while they waited for back up (no idea why). There were a total of five cops and a drug dog on the scene...just because the car smelled like pot. It took three cops about twenty, twenty five minutes to search through all the crap in his car. After awhile, i saw a cop put something on the roof of the car.

Last friday, a friend of mine bought a new bong. That night, he lost his slide and nobody knew where it was. Turns out, it was under a seat: my seat. The thing was coated in resin, and so the two of us got charged with paraphernalia and possession of under an ounce (because of the f*cking resin).

You know what sucks? I didn't even contribute to the resin that was built up on the slide, I just got stuck with the consequences...messed up, right? i was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So now I have court. Luckily, because the friend who owned the slide is still technically a minor, and his parents tolerate his smoking, he's gonna come to court with me and admit that the slide was his. I don't really know what's gonna happen, because I've never been to court, but I'm trying to stay optimistic.

So there's my story. Nothing major, I know, but I've never been in trouble with the cops before. Can anyone tell me what I can expect in court? Like, what the usual process is in trying these sorts of cases? Any help would be appreciated, I still kinda shaken up from it.

continuance...continuance...continuance. ASK FOR AS MANY CONTINUANCES AS YOU CAN!!!! Usually with petty shit like that the cops won't show up or forget to show up in court. Just be polite and don't worry too much.

continuance...continuance...continuance. ASK FOR AS MANY CONTINUANCES AS YOU CAN!!!! Usually with petty shit like that the cops won't show up or forget to show up in court. Just be polite and don't worry too much.

I dunno, I kinda just want it to be over as soon as possible. I go to school in a different city and it's already going to be a hassle to go to one court appearance. I'm starting to lighten up since marijuana is decriminalized in my state, and at worst I pay a fine of $200 plus court costs. Would a continuance increase my court costs? If so, I'd definitely like to avoid that.

I dunno, I kinda just want it to be over as soon as possible. I go to school in a different city and it's already going to be a hassle to go to one court appearance. I'm starting to lighten up since marijuana is decriminalized in my state, and at worst I pay a fine of $200 plus court costs. Would a continuance increase my court costs? If so, I'd definitely like to avoid that.

Whatever you do, don't plead guilty just to get it over with... sounds like if the kid admits it's his, the state doesn't have much of a case against you. You might try talking to the DA or whatever asssitant - sometimes if you just explain it, you might get lucky with a real human who will help you out.

Paraphenalia is actually worse than marijuana in a lot of states. The only reason I'd smoke a joint.

and when they asked to search the car, we obliged.

not to kick a guy when he's down, but you NEVER NEVER NEVER submit to a search...make 'em get a fukin warrant.....

not to kick a guy when he's down, but you NEVER NEVER NEVER submit to a search...make 'em get a fukin warrant.....

I know, I know. It was a stupid idea. We thought the car was clear, but hey: you live, you learn. I don't have a lot of experience dealing with cops so i wasn't sure how to play the situation. Also, it wasn't my car, so I figured if they did find something it couldn't come back to me. Court isn't even what I'm sweating right now, to be honest...it's telling my parents what happened, lol.

I have absolutely no plan to plead guilty, wouldn't wanna lie in court, right? ;)

This whole incident really opened my eyes to the whole war on drugs thing. Three cruisers, five police officers, and one drug dog all so they could find a dirty slide. I mean, it happened at 1 am, so there couldn't have been too much going on, but still...what the fuck?

don't sweat it
if you were my kid i'd be mad as hell at the gestapo
you were driving someone else's car
you were cooperative
you didn't think there was anything to hide
and it wasn't your slide
case should be dismissed
but im sure your parents will want to consult a lawyer to get a professional opinion on a legal defense since you are a minor
you don't want to take any chance getting a record

even if it was clear that dosen't mean that they wouldn't find something, right?

That may be true, but the only thing going through my mind at that point was "ohshitcopsohshitcopsohshitcops!!!" Clear thought was difficult given the circumstances, confounded by the fact that I was still pretty buzzed.

Funny note, though: My buddy, who was in another cruiser, chatted with a cop who came in to get out of the cold. Apparently, the car smelled so strongly of pot smoke, that as soon as the dog got within 30 feet of the car, he was already whimpering so bad that he had to be carried away by his handler. So, we scared away a drug dog :ganjamon:

I've e-mailed my county's DA with some questions about my situation...hopefully he'll be able to give me some answers

your charges will most likely get dropped my buddy was in a much worse situation and got a lot of crazy charges dropped dont plead guilty to one to rid of the other try and work out a deal(no probation) and also make sure your licence is cool since u were in a car(dunno if it really matters tho)

don't sweat it
if you were my kid i'd be mad as hell at the gestapo
you were driving someone else's car
you were cooperative
you didn't think there was anything to hide
and it wasn't your slide
case should be dismissed
but im sure your parents will want to consult a lawyer to get a professional opinion on a legal defense since you are a minor
you don't want to take any chance getting a record

Well, my parents weren't happy about it, but they understood that I wasn't at fault. If anything, they were "disappointed that I even risked putting myself in that situation." Oh well, shit happens. :Rasta:

no parent is going to be happy about something like this
i would be pissed too but i still love my kids and want to protect them
easier said than done but try not to worry until you get some legal advice or your parents talk to the prosecutor

This whole incident really opened my eyes to the whole war on drugs thing. Three cruisers, five police officers, and one drug dog all so they could find a dirty slide. I mean, it happened at 1 am, so there couldn't have been too much going on, but still...what the fuck?

A similar incident happened to me that really opened my eyes, as well. A 'community volunteer' notified police that I was swerving out of my lane at about 3am one night. Within a few minutes, I had been pulled over by a cop. He took my license back to his car & I sat & waited for about 5 min. Next thing I know, there are like 3 more cars surrounding me, lights ablaze, and I have about 10 flashlight beams probing around my car. I was harrased, mishandeled, etc. Finally, I was ticketed for 'failure to stay within my own lane' (based on the testamony of a 'community volunteer') and released. I don't recall swerving out of my lane.. perhaps I did. I was pretty sober, so I doubt it.

I was 25 at the time. Anyhow, it was at that moment that I realized that 99% of these guys aren't your friend and don't really want to protect & serve you. They're mostly bullies who really get off on the power trip. It was a radical shift in the way I felt about the law and the powers that be. Changed me for the better.

About your case: any lawyer worth their degree should be able to get you off. It's pretty obvious it wasn't your stuff. Even if the lawyer costs a few grand, it would be well worth it not to have that bust on your record.

never plead guilty plead not gilty and they will give you a public defender and they will work out a deal with the county and mostlikely get your charge redouced or droped but with your friend saying its his they probably will stick him with it and let you off they just want someone to pay them money for it they dont care who it is

Dude, please speak with a lawyer. I am a concerned with the idea about a minor admiting that it was his, not for the kid in question but for you. They maybe able to then throw something like a "contirbuting to the delinquency of a minor" charge at you. And to be honest I wouldn't know which one is worse.

Speak with a Pot friendly lawyer, get advice before you do anything else. And then lets hope it blows away like the nothing that it should be.

:peace:,
Loch

I finally had my first marijuana-related run-in with the police. But here's the kicker...I didn't do anything!

Last night, I was smoking in a car with a couple friends. We weren't driving, just sitting and smoking. We then went inside and played video games for a few hours.

On our way back from dropping one of my friends off at home (the one who brought the bud), we headed towards my house. Literally, not more than three or four blocks from my home, we see the red and blue lights in the rear-view. Now, we know the car smells like pot and so do we, but we didn't have anything in the car (that we knew about, his car is a huge f*cking mess) so I was feeling confident that nothing would happen.

We were both extremely courteous to the police, and when they asked to search the car, we obliged. So I get frisked and then wait in the back of a cruiser while they waited for back up (no idea why). There were a total of five cops and a drug dog on the scene...just because the car smelled like pot. It took three cops about twenty, twenty five minutes to search through all the crap in his car. After awhile, i saw a cop put something on the roof of the car.

Last friday, a friend of mine bought a new bong. That night, he lost his slide and nobody knew where it was. Turns out, it was under a seat: my seat. The thing was coated in resin, and so the two of us got charged with paraphernalia and possession of under an ounce (because of the f*cking resin).

You know what sucks? I didn't even contribute to the resin that was built up on the slide, I just got stuck with the consequences...messed up, right? i was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So now I have court. Luckily, because the friend who owned the slide is still technically a minor, and his parents tolerate his smoking, he's gonna come to court with me and admit that the slide was his. I don't really know what's gonna happen, because I've never been to court, but I'm trying to stay optimistic.

So there's my story. Nothing major, I know, but I've never been in trouble with the cops before. Can anyone tell me what I can expect in court? Like, what the usual process is in trying these sorts of cases? Any help would be appreciated, I still kinda shaken up from it.

that's crazy

never plead guilty plead not gilty and they will give you a public defender and they will work out a deal with the county and mostlikely get your charge redouced or droped but with your friend saying its his they probably will stick him with it and let you off they just want someone to pay them money for it they dont care who it is

good advice here for sure

Back
Top Bottom