Jeffrey Sweetin, Controversial DEA Special Agent, Gets Promoted: Sorry, Haters

Jeffrey Sweetin, special agent in charge of the Drug Enforcement Administration's Denver field office, has been a controversial figure in these parts, with medical marijuana attorney Rob Corry suggesting he'd gone rogue and Congressman Jared Polis citing him in a letter about MMJ policy to Attorney General Eric Holder. But he hasn't been censured. Although he'll soon be leaving the Denver office, he points out that he's been promoted.

"I'm going to Quantico, Virginia to run DEA's domestic and international training," Sweetin says. "We train all of our new agents when they come on the job. We train supervisors, executives and, in our international arena, we train law enforcement officers all over the world in issues related to drug investigations."

Sweetin, who was recruited for the position rather than pursuing it, adds that he'll be traveling back and forth between Colorado and Virginia over the next few months before settling back east, probably in September.

While Sweetin came to Denver's DEA office in July 2002 and took over as special agent in charge in January 2003, he truly came into the public's consciousness last February following the arrest of Highlands Ranch's Chris Bartkowicz, who'd shown off his home grow to a 9News reporter. In reference to the Bartkowicz raid, Sweetin told the Denver Post:

"We're still going to continue to investigate and arrest people... Technically, every dispensary in the state is in blatant violation of federal law. The time is coming when we go into a dispensary, we find out what their profit is, we seize the building and we arrest everybody. They're violating federal law; they're at risk of arrest and imprisonment."

In a subsequent interview with Westword, Sweetin was much less strident, stressing that "we are not declaring war on dispensaries." But he's remained a lightning rod for the MMJ community, whose members see him as contradicting the spirit of an October 2009 Obama administration memo directing feds not to spend resources going after operations in states where medical marijuana has been legalized so long as the individuals and businesses in question are obeying local laws.

If MMJ supporters conclude that their complaints about Sweetin prompted him to be removed from the Colorado office, "it certainly wouldn't surprise me," he says. "Everything gets spun."

As for his responses to this theory, "one of them would be that if everybody in that industry who wants marijuana to be available to everyone is happy with me, that's a bad sign. The fact that there's some frustration -- and I get that there is -- is probably a good sign, because it means we've continued to do our mission.

"And I'd also say that if I was being moved because of those comments, it probably would have happened back when people were calling me 'rogue' -- but that issue seems to have died down a little bit. And I don't flatter myself into thinking that the president moved me. I don't think I'm on his radar screen. And most people aren't punished by being promoted. I don't think they'd have me training the next generation of new agents otherwise."

The next person to be handed the Denver gig should be prepared for the spotlight, Sweetin believes:

"In all the fourteen states with medical marijuana laws, I think if you're running the DEA operation, it can be extremely high profile, whether you want it to be or not. But it depends on the community. The office here also works in Montana, which has medical marijuana, too, and most people in Montana have never heard of me. So it depends on how the media reacts, how the dispensary industry reacts, and where they get their information. But I'd say Colorado will continue to be a place where the DEA special agent in charge will have a hard time not being high profile."

But a few months from now, that'll be someone else's problem.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Denver Westword
Author: Michael Roberts
Copyright: 2010 Denver Westword, LLC

* Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

I wonder how the federal government is going to react in november when its legal in cali... what will they do, get you do pay tax, then arrest you for paying tax on it?

Yes they will. It will not change. Again... this new law will give people a false sense of security and land alot of people in jail. I have posted serveral times that the people getting arrested the most are 15-24. However this new law will make the backers millions without them getting locked up or... they are hoping with everyone growing and doing their own thing... it will take the eyes off of them. Time will tell.

The feds still mess with MMJ... and people think it will go away with legalization. I do not think so. But if a bill was made to hold every elected official or LE accountable for not obeying law voted in by the people... I think that will futher our cause for the full legalization and freedom of those who are war prisoners!

Quote "We're still going to continue to investigate and arrest people... Technically, every dispensary in the state is in blatant violation of federal law. The time is coming when we go into a dispensary, we find out what their profit is, we seize the building and we arrest everybody. They're violating federal law; they're at risk of arrest and imprisonment."

this pig is sick, to hell with federal law and DEA, they don't care about what the people decide, they only care about what they feel is right and if the citizens don't adhere to it than they are criminals, this just pisses me off so much when I see statements that prove they don't care what the people of the states choose,

also I use to think the California tax and regulate initiative would be the greatest advancement in ending the war on drugs if passed into law but now I see otherwise, I am getting the feeling it will be fuel on the fire.

Thank you... I feel the same way. Until we can hold the fed accountable to leave med patients alone as well as Certain LE and DA's in california accountable... this new bill will be worthless. It will do more harm than good. Something needs to be done to insure they uphold the law and not hurt anymore people.

this is a time to stand strong. God damn it we're americans and our voice needs to be heard. we're your doctors, your lawyers, your friends, your neighbors, your lovers, your loved ones, we are you America. we are many and we are strong. we fight for what's right, and never lose sight of our goal. We made amazing breakthroughs, we've changed so many lives for the better. We've found ways to ease the suffering of the sick,the terminally ill, and the leaving. But, there is a side so dark, so evil, so sad. Millions of lives ruined a year through job loss, imprisonment, and death. And torture, and funding ruthless gangs and blood thirsty cartels, and a corrupt privatized prison system. We want better for ourselves. We want to live pain free without having to worry about possible imprisonment because the only medicine that works is illegal. We want to toke up in peace. We want to come home after a hard days work and not have a beer, but smoke a bowl. We have families to care for too. You know us, you like us. We are everywhere because we are Americans and as Americans we should take this opportunity and show the rest of the nation and the rest of the world that we, as Americans are indeed not bullshitting. It is time for we cannabis users stand up and say we are tired of the boogyman stories and we want to be treated as equals and left in peace. Let us work, let us live, let us be free! We can't let people who've blinded themselves too the truth stand in our way. We must persevere and stand strong as one people and let our cry be heard "We're here, we're stoned, and so are you."
:icon_roll:icon_rollGod I wish I lived in California:icon_roll:icon_roll

Yes but you are forgetting... this might futher fuel the incarceration rate... the ages being arrested are 15-24 so this bill will do the majority no good. Again we need to put together a bill that will force the Fed and the state to fallow the laws passed. Until then you will see the rate go up.

Funny thing is... it is legal for mmj but yet they arrest us still. What do think this bill will do? Feds are in control not the state. Also remember... the Commander and chief is going after Arizona because of a law they enacted... sorry but california will not be any different. Also the man they call a rogue agent for the DEA... is doing the playbook now for the DEA.

This is change... not the change you all wanted but the change that has come anyways regardless of how we feel. Until we put a stop to it with a bill that will hold everone we have elected accountable... it will remain the same.

this is a time to stand strong. God damn it we're americans and our voice needs to be heard. we're your doctors, your lawyers, your friends, your neighbors, your lovers, your loved ones, we are you America. we are many and we are strong. we fight for what's right, and never lose sight of our goal. We made amazing breakthroughs, we've changed so many lives for the better. We've found ways to ease the suffering of the sick,the terminally ill, and the leaving. But, there is a side so dark, so evil, so sad. Millions of lives ruined a year through job loss, imprisonment, and death. And torture, and funding ruthless gangs and blood thirsty cartels, and a corrupt privatized prison system. We want better for ourselves. We want to live pain free without having to worry about possible imprisonment because the only medicine that works is illegal. We want to toke up in peace. We want to come home after a hard days work and not have a beer, but smoke a bowl. We have families to care for too. You know us, you like us. We are everywhere because we are Americans and as Americans we should take this opportunity and show the rest of the nation and the rest of the world that we, as Americans are indeed not bullshitting. It is time for we cannabis users stand up and say we are tired of the boogyman stories and we want to be treated as equals and left in peace. Let us work, let us live, let us be free! We can't let people who've blinded themselves too the truth stand in our way. We must persevere and stand strong as one people and let our cry be heard "We're here, we're stoned, and so are you."
:icon_roll:icon_rollGod I wish I lived in California:icon_roll:icon_roll

Next logical step is to contact your NORML org and see if you can collect signatures for a referendum somewhere. Brutal work, but breaking free always is.

i don't know why, but i still believe in the power of the vote. Yes the arrest rate may go up, but with this bill you are telling the world that legal cannabis is what the people want. That's the cool thing in my opinion, the people are voting on this. Not the house, Not the senate. you can go to your booth and think "well, I did smoke pot while I was in college and still graduated." and that person maybe black, white,old, young, male, female, Christian, Atheist(do you spell atheist with a capital A?), they could be anyone. And you need more than 50% to win, so you need a majority. So, that means that the majority of active registered voters would want to have legal cannabis. And no politician wants pissed off active registered voters. This your opportunity to speak up and let it be known what you want, and plus Washington's got yo back, there doing big things up there too, and I wish them the best. I guess what I'm trying to say is, Real Niggas hope for the chance to prove that they ain't bullshittin' (inspired by Katt Williams), this is you opportunity and now's not the time to get cold feet. The rest of the nation needs California and Washington to stand strong and give the rest of us hope. Because, if you hippies can't do it then what chance do we bible thumpin' hicks have?

Back
Top Bottom