Jelly Rancher Strain Review

Hi Guys -

So I just recently harvested a plant that turned out every bit as good as the buds look, and I was inspired enough to do a strain review on her, as I haven't yet seen this strain reviewed. So I understand the review on this plant is connected to the way I grew her, as all reviews are I suppose. To that end, she was vegged for 72 days, flowered for 68 days, and LST'ed. I kept her small - she was only 28" tall, yet she gave me just a shade under a QP of finished, perfect buds. I posted a couple pictures of the buds at the end for visual reference points.

Strain Name - Jelly Rancher
From - Humboldt Seed Company
Grown By: Me
Type - 70/30 Sativa heavy hybrid
Genetics - Very Cherry x Notorious T.H.C.
Harvested/Cured - Harvested July 2, dried 6 days, cured 14 days
Appearance - Various shades of green with significant purple and darkish orange hairs, densely covered with trichomes, dense buds (not rocks, but denser than a Magic Eraser, for example)
Smell - Primary and first smell is blue cotton candy with undefined fruitiness, sweetness, pungent, skunky, with a slight background of gas
Taste - Very very sweet and sugary with significant but as yet undefined fruit - so sugary it leaves an aftertaste of sugar on the palate that lasts through a post bowl cigarette (lol) - with a very slight gassy dankness in the background. The sweet exceeds the dank.
Type of Buzz - I am a musician and this is the best playing buzz I've grown or found yet, it rivals Jack Herer and Super Silver Haze in that regard. The buzz is cerebral, intensely creative, extremely "UP" (this has something to do with when I harvested her relative to trichomes), and provides an intense focus. I've been smoking it first thing in the morning and it beats the crap out of a cup of coffee on the focus end. But it is not so "coke-y" that it jams or binds you up as some heavy sativas and high THC sativa hybrids are prone to do.
Length of Buzz - About two hours. Head heavy at first that morphs into a nice body buzz later on.
THC Level - According to HSC it is supposed to come in at 26-30%. I don't have a test kit or access to a lab, but just from being a veteran smoker I'm guessing it came in around the 26% end of that. It is PLENTY strong, even for a veteran, daily, round the clock smoker.
Best Medicinal Use - All I can say about this is that I have constant back pain and this made me feel significantly better.
Overall - There are a lot of things to like about this bud. It's gorgeous - by far the prettiest bud I have grown. It's high thc and gets you very very high. It smells like a dream and if you like sweet bud, this is perhaps a bud to try. It's WAY sweet. Granted I loaded her up with molasses for most of flowering, but that's only part of the story. The bud is genetically sweet. The smoke is smooth, even after only 14 days of cure, and it's one of those strains you want to keep smoking even after you're high enough cuz the taste is so addictive. I would grow this again for sure, and let her get a lot bigger to see what she is capable of producing. EXCELLENT STRAIN with EXCELLENT GENETICS.

Photographs of this bud:

1. Jelly Rancher before harvest under the extended reds, thus the lighting
2. Buds looked like this in real light, very purple, with lots of cool leaves like this
3. Example of a finish trimmed bud and what they all pretty much look like

You can't be serious 3 Sadie July 4.jpg

Contest photograph.jpg

Sadie closeup on black background finish trimmed.jpg

The smoke is smooth, even after only 14 days of cure, and it's one of those strains you want to keep smoking even after you're high enough cuz the taste is so addictive. I would grow this again for sure, and let her get a lot bigger to see what she is capable of producing. EXCELLENT STRAIN with EXCELLENT GENETICS.

Great review! The sentence highlighted above really spoke to me. That's the way I feel about Dark Devil and Girl Scout Cookies.

Thanks Jon! That same paragraph HashGirl quoted spoke to me too!
Yeah man! Teddy had to edit my title. I didn't know we could only mention certain companies to describe where the seeds originated, not in titles. Thought they were a sponsor. My bad. As usual he was cool about it. Not intentional obviously. But yeah, this weed is def like that. It's also so "up" that one can keep smoking it, although I couldn't get even halfway through a cigarette sized joint of it. But bowls and bongs and I'm already tearing through it even though I have several other strains to smoke. Lol. The Sour Apple better finish soon. :laughtwo:

Yeah man! Teddy had to edit my title. I didn't know we could only mention certain companies to describe where the seeds originated, not in titles. Thought they were a sponsor. My bad. As usual he was cool about it. Not intentional obviously. But yeah, this weed is def like that. It's also so "up" that one can keep smoking it, although I couldn't get even halfway through a cigarette sized joint of it. But bowls and bongs and I'm already tearing through it even though I have several other strains to smoke. Lol. The Sour Apple better finish soon. :laughtwo:
It happens, I've made the same mistake. Sour apple will be good in the jar!

I am currently growing this strain and this just made me so excited. What kind of nutrients and soil do you use?
Hey @Stoneybaloney93 - my friend, you are in for a treat. You will have intense smell by halfway through budding. Your tent will be sweet, fruity, candy-esque, and dank. The buds will be large sativa-ish buds that get a good density to them, ala the density of a Magic Eraser, not a rock. They are gorgeous. If you lower the temperature to the low 60s or high 50s overnight in the last month of budding you may watch her display amazing purples. I harvested on Day 60 something, I forget, but fortunately you can actually see my plant in my completed journal if you want to take a look. I also entered that plant as a photo in August's Plant of the Month contest, check that one out. And also look at my photo entry in last months Photo of the Month contest - that one shows how purple you can get her with the temperature trick and also what she looked like when I harvested her. My plant was kept intentionally small and I got a QP of fat, perfectly trimmed buds that had amazing bag appeal. She can produce way better than that. I have 5 seeds of her left for a dedicated grow sometime. The smell and taste of the finished weed is spectacular. For me after about three weeks of cure she was humming on all cylinders and if I didn't say it in the review, it was the best bud I personally ever grew.

Enjoy. Hope the extra detail helps. Oh yeah, the soil you asked about. She was grown in my blend of 40% Fox Farms Happy Frog/40% Fox Farms Ocean Forest/20% perlite #3. She was fed Fox Farms nutes, just the first three, Big Bloom, Grow Big, and Tiger Bloom. She also got molasses with every watering during budding. Even through the flush. And I kept up on the CalMag plus Iron because as she starts budding she will need it. I would suggest you do a good flush right before you flip her to 12/12. It will help reset her and get her ready to bud. Then feed her everything you've got that she can take, which is alot. You will raise a prize you'll love.

Peace!

Hi Guys -

So I just recently harvested a plant that turned out every bit as good as the buds look, and I was inspired enough to do a strain review on her, as I haven't yet seen this strain reviewed. So I understand the review on this plant is connected to the way I grew her, as all reviews are I suppose. To that end, she was vegged for 72 days, flowered for 68 days, and LST'ed. I kept her small - she was only 28" tall, yet she gave me just a shade under a QP of finished, perfect buds. I posted a couple pictures of the buds at the end for visual reference points.

Strain Name - Jelly Rancher
From - Humboldt Seed Company
Grown By: Me
Type - 70/30 Sativa heavy hybrid
Genetics - Very Cherry x Notorious T.H.C.
Harvested/Cured - Harvested July 2, dried 6 days, cured 14 days
Appearance - Various shades of green with significant purple and darkish orange hairs, densely covered with trichomes, dense buds (not rocks, but denser than a Magic Eraser, for example)
Smell - Primary and first smell is blue cotton candy with undefined fruitiness, sweetness, pungent, skunky, with a slight background of gas
Taste - Very very sweet and sugary with significant but as yet undefined fruit - so sugary it leaves an aftertaste of sugar on the palate that lasts through a post bowl cigarette (lol) - with a very slight gassy dankness in the background. The sweet exceeds the dank.
Type of Buzz - I am a musician and this is the best playing buzz I've grown or found yet, it rivals Jack Herer and Super Silver Haze in that regard. The buzz is cerebral, intensely creative, extremely "UP" (this has something to do with when I harvested her relative to trichomes), and provides an intense focus. I've been smoking it first thing in the morning and it beats the crap out of a cup of coffee on the focus end. But it is not so "coke-y" that it jams or binds you up as some heavy sativas and high THC sativa hybrids are prone to do.
Length of Buzz - About two hours. Head heavy at first that morphs into a nice body buzz later on.
THC Level - According to HSC it is supposed to come in at 26-30%. I don't have a test kit or access to a lab, but just from being a veteran smoker I'm guessing it came in around the 26% end of that. It is PLENTY strong, even for a veteran, daily, round the clock smoker.
Best Medicinal Use - All I can say about this is that I have constant back pain and this made me feel significantly better.
Overall - There are a lot of things to like about this bud. It's gorgeous - by far the prettiest bud I have grown. It's high thc and gets you very very high. It smells like a dream and if you like sweet bud, this is perhaps a bud to try. It's WAY sweet. Granted I loaded her up with molasses for most of flowering, but that's only part of the story. The bud is genetically sweet. The smoke is smooth, even after only 14 days of cure, and it's one of those strains you want to keep smoking even after you're high enough cuz the taste is so addictive. I would grow this again for sure, and let her get a lot bigger to see what she is capable of producing. EXCELLENT STRAIN with EXCELLENT GENETICS.

Photographs of this bud:

1. Jelly Rancher before harvest under the extended reds, thus the lighting
2. Buds looked like this in real light, very purple, with lots of cool leaves like this
3. Example of a finish trimmed bud and what they all pretty much look like

You can't be serious 3 Sadie July 4.jpg

Contest photograph.jpg

Sadie closeup on black background finish trimmed.jpg
Hey Jon, what size pot did you have your Jelly Rancher in?

Hey Jon, what size pot did you have your Jelly Rancher in?
Hi @Vic - wow, I forgot I even reviewed this one. This plant was only in a 5. Had I know then what I know now, she would have been in a 7 or even a 10. But she started out in a 5 plant scrog (all in 5s) and got removed when I realized it was too many plants and I'd overgrow the screen. Then she lived outside, where the natural light cycle sent her into flower. When that happened I moved all my autos outdoors, which emptied the 5x5, and she went into there on 12/12 for the rest of flower (90% of it). Had the whole tent to herself.

I guess you're growing it? How's it going so far? Where you at in the grow? Or just sprouting? Pictures? And good luck. I think I've grown around 25 different strains at this point in my "career," and if the Jelly Rancher isn't my absolute favorite of all of them, it's damn close. Amazing plant, awesome genetics, great taste, superior buzz. Wish I still had some. Lol.

EDIT: just fyi, I don't know that she's as naturally purple as I made her. I had her down in the mid 50s overnight in flower once we got halfway through it, intentionally to attempt to produce color, and she responded very strongly to the dark purple, almost black stage. It was gorgeous.

I just finished a Jolly Rancher, Yes she is that purple even under controlled indoor temperatures. My problem is this strain seems extremely hard to clone compared to others I have grow. Any feedback on cloning these?

I just finished a Jolly Rancher, Yes she is that purple even under controlled indoor temperatures. My problem is this strain seems extremely hard to clone compared to others I have grow. Any feedback on cloning these?
Show pictures. I just cloned my Jelly Rancher 18 days ago and it is doing great. I use rooting agent and put her in Foxfarm soil. I have two Jellys that are doing good. I have both outside now. One i will bring back inside into the tent so i can flip to flower soon. She is getting massive

20220619_084022.jpg

Sorry, haven’t gone there. You said Jolly Rancher. There’s a strain called that. This was Jelly Rancher. Humboldt changed the name cuz of everyone calling it Jolly Rancher. So now in their catalog it’s called Hella Jelly. Is that what you grew? How do you like it? I loved it.

Sorry, haven’t gone there. You said Jolly Rancher. There’s a strain called that. This was Jelly Rancher. Humboldt changed the name cuz of everyone calling it Jolly Rancher. So now in their catalog it’s called Hella Jelly. Is that what you grew? How do you like it? I loved it.
I grew Jolly Rancher, haven't tried it yet just cut a couple days ago. It looks delicious.

@Jon was correct it was Jelly Rancher not Jolley that I have. This is a dried flower not cured yet. Sorry for the low quality tri pics.
flower 1.jpg
lower 2.jpg
tri 1.jpg
tri 2.jpg
i 3.jpg
4.jpg
That’s her alright! I’d recognize her anywhere! You got some really nice purples too! I gave mine the ultra cold treatment at night and she was so purple she was almost black. Nice job!

That’s her alright! I’d recognize her anywhere! You got some really nice purples too! I gave mine the ultra cold treatment at night and she was so purple she was almost black. Nice job!
But how do I cut clones one her? I had 80% success with granddaddy purple & black rose, 0% so far with Jelly. Using root hormone and Foxfarm soil. Only have a few more seeds to get it right. I have lost several seeds in soil after they have cracked in paper towels as well.

My REAL problem is repetitive spider mite issue (do to native climate issues), I hate having to azamax through finish, but it does work. I took these a week or two early do to a bad infestation in my veg side and signs of cross contamination.

But how do I cut clones one her? I had 80% success with granddaddy purple & black rose, 0% so far with Jelly. Using root hormone and Foxfarm soil. Only have a few more seeds to get it right. I have lost several seeds in soil after they have cracked in paper towels as well.

My REAL problem is repetitive spider mite issue (do to native climate issues), I hate having to azamax through finish, but it does work. I took these a week or two early do to a bad infestation in my veg side and signs of cross contamination.
I cloned my Jelly Rancher on June 1st and she is growing strong. I dipped the stem in rooting hormone, used fox farm soil and cut the tips of all leaves, watered her and put her under a clear dome with vent holes under the lights. She started putting on new growth about 8-9 days later.

Back
Top Bottom