Jiffy pots are very bad for starting cannabis

Greena

I used 4 Buffy pots and three normal solo cups and three weeks later the Buffy potted ones are 1/8 the size of the normally solo cups
just incase anyone thought they were good for transplanting,the roots grow straight down and don't penertrate the sides of the pots,
they suck

What I found with the Jiffy pots is that if there is a fan on them they cool themselves through evaporation. You need to keep them warm for them to work correctly. Plastic cups don't wick so they hold heat better.
I stopped using them precisely because of this. My room is a tad on the cool side during the winter months. If I had a seedling mat I wouldn't have had that problem.

I started my first seeds in jiffy pots this year. I agree...they suck. Tap roots when straight down and out the drain hole. Instead of continuing to grow and thrive, they started dying off. Granted, that forced lateral growth of the roots but I was still bummed to see wilted tsp roots when I went to transplant them.

I am trying another brand (CowPots) that basically is the same thing except they claim better root development and faster degradation after transplant. We shall see about that. I am documenting the growth of them in my CBD journal. I won't be using jiffy pots ever again though.

20200404_154719.jpg

Back
Top Bottom